What's new

Carbolic Soap

Does anyone here ever use Carbolic Soap? This stuff is pretty strong. Its usually orange in color, and has a very familiar, rather strong scent. I think it actually has a very mild acid in it. Its a very old fashioned soap. I used to use it as a kid and I am very nostaligic about the scent. My better half does not care much for it, and it certainly does have a bit of a mediciney smell. Its not something you would wash with before a date, but I really love a cool shower with this stuff on a hot summer day, or at night before bed. And it gives you a really clean feeling.

OT: I read the thread title as Catholic Soap

Slightly less OT:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmL60agZs-k[/YOUTUBE]

Love the smell of carbolic soap, takes me back to my childhood.

The pack of 12 that carbolicsoap.com do is good, also found exactly the same thing on ebay (uk) for a better price. It's quite soft soap - it will make your soap dish pink and messy, won't last awfully long, and will probably snap into two of three pieces before you've finished a bar.

Good stuff!

The lifebuoy red isnt quite what it used to be in the true carbolic sense. Earlier it was the pure strong carbolic scented soap for years. Last couple of years they have drastically changed it making quite a few unhappy million Indians :(

Not a good business plan really was it :D Two biggest nations on earth not to offend, the Indians and the Chinese...... just doesn't make financial sense... A bit like when the stupid EU ruled Britain could no longer have coal tar in coal tar soap, because they think it's a possibility using it 24 hours a day for 300 years may give you the slightest chance of an increased risk of cancer........ I havn't found anything conclusive to suggest the small dose in the soap could even possibly cause it... drinking the stuff neat possibly, but otherwise...

Guessing that was the same thing with Lifebuoy red, someone decided it was no longer correct/safe to use it..... the fact it's been in use for 100+++ years with no real outcry..... :rolleyes:

Tom

Not a good business plan really was it :D Two biggest nations on earth not to offend, the Indians and the Chinese...... just doesn't make financial sense... A bit like when the stupid EU ruled Britain could no longer have coal tar in coal tar soap, because they think it's a possibility using it 24 hours a day for 300 years may give you the slightest chance of an increased risk of cancer........ I havn't found anything conclusive to suggest the small dose in the soap could even possibly cause it... drinking the stuff neat possibly, but otherwise...

Guessing that was the same thing with Lifebuoy red, someone decided it was no longer correct/safe to use it..... the fact it's been in use for 100+++ years with no real outcry..... :rolleyes:

Tom

Very true - the old soap would not lather luxuriously, nor would it stay soft through its life and had a very strong scent - but it was nostalgia scent and experience for the millions.

In the hot Indian summer I use to always keep it in a carefully aligned tray so that the red color does not color the tiles around, and bathing with that strong carbolic scent after a hot, sweaty and dusty day used to feel heaven !

Alas - now its gone !!:mad:

Very true - the old soap would not lather luxuriously, nor would it stay soft through its life and had a very strong scent - but it was nostalgia scent and experience for the millions.

In the hot Indian summer I use to always keep it in a carefully aligned tray so that the red color does not color the tiles around, and bathing with that strong carbolic scent after a hot, sweaty and dusty day used to feel heaven !

Alas - now its gone !!:mad:

Guessing Carbolic was never meant to be soft, it was a working mans soap, and used often to clean clothes etc. too, so a hard wearing soap was essential.... the smell reminds me of my grandmothers kitchen after she'd cleaned it fully :D

Tom

I first thought the title of this thread was "Catholic Soap". :biggrin:

How different is the Red Lifebuoy from the old blue-pack White Lifebuoy we had here in the US?

the substitute

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 145
I bought a huge bar, about the length and thickness of my forearm, for the princely sum of £1.50.
It was from the Apothocary in Haworth, which has quite a selection of shaving goods, including rebranded MWF, Proraso, some straight razors, DEs and shaving brushes.
The soap is very effective, leaves everything squeaky clean.

Thank you for sharing the link. I just ordered a case of it. Nothing refreshes better than a lukewarm shower and carbolic soap on a hot summer night. I cannot wait to share some with family members that will remember it as fondly as I do. :001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
After doing a little homework, I found that the link was posted here by the actual seller of the soap, to drive business to his site. :thumbdown:angry:

To add insult to injury, I also found that he's price-gouging at $1.89 a bar, plus S&H. You can get the same identical product for 79¢ a bar... and if you order two dozen bars, the price automatically drops to 67¢ a bar. :clap:

http://www.sams24-7.com/detail.aspx?ID=12312

sams24-7 also carries both varieties of LIMACOL , a fantastic aftershave, mclas and benjamins bay rums , and the penguin,alcolado glacial ,a super menthol aftershave...

Top Bottom