What's new

Do Any of You Shave Your Head with a Safety Razor?

Do any of you shave your head with a Safety Razor? If so...

1. What razor do you use?

2. What blades do you use?

3. Do you use a cream or soap?

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all?

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes?

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.)

1. What razor do you use? --Gillette New Improved, now I'v started using a straight

2. What blades do you use?-- Crystals

3. Do you use a cream or soap? --Both

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all? --Get a styptic pencil

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes?--2

1. Yes I shave my head (about once a month). Have been using a Gillette Tech (first I trim as close as possible with clippers)

2. Have been using Derbies (same as I use on my face)

3. Tend to use a combo of cream and soap..mixed all together

4. Not a problem surprisingly (had been doing it with an Atra previously)

5. It's probably about two passes (a little hard to count because you can't see how many times you go over an area)

6. Probably about 20 minutes or so...a little longer than with my Atra

1. What razor do you use? Merkur HD

2. What blades do you use? Feather

3. Do you use a cream or soap? Both, at this point prefer soap as I head lather.

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all? First ten shaves were hell. Back of my head was a pain in the ***.

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes? Once I learned how to do it right, 2 passes are enough for me.

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.). Again, once technique it definitely does not take any extra time. First ten shaves or so took me extra time because I took it slow.

What razor do you use?
One of these.
proxy.php

What blades do you use?
Derby, IPs, Bics and Feathers depending on the razor.
Soaps or Creams?
Creams.
TOBS, Mr Taylor is my current favorite.
I mastered shaving my face with the DE before I used it on my head.
Before that I used the Headblade and the Mach3.
I do 1st pass with the grain, 2nd pass with and across the grain, then I do touch up I do some areas against the grain.

Last edited:
Q. Do any of you shave your head with a Safety Razor? If so...
A. yes!

Q1. What razor do you use?
Gillette Super Speed '66

Q2. What blades do you use?
A. IP Red Pack, though using Walmart Personna cheapies at the moment -good for only 1-2 uses though.

Q3. Do you use a cream or soap?
A. Soap, at the moment Edwin Jagger Sea buckthorn applied with Edwin Jagger Chatsworth synthetic brush. Have also used VDH, Kiss My Face shave cream.

Q4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all?
A. No problem at all. No cuts, no nicks, no rashes. I chose the SS deliberately since it is non-aggressive.

Q5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes?
A. I'd guess at least 3 passes.

Q6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.)
A. I'd guess it takes longer. I figure I need at least one more pass than a Mach 3 or Fusion.

R

rainman

Single Ring

Dorco ST300

Nivea Canned Gel

Works fine

2 passes

It takes a little longer. Just like the face, with practice and experimentation you will prefer DE for your head shaves.

I have shaved the dome with any and every razor that I own. Prefer soap but will occasionally use creme. The blade that I use for DE is Feather for SE some form of Injector blade or GEM blade. I have now started daily using my straight for my dome. No problems with DE, SE or Injector at all. Straight took more time and did draw a little blood at first.

I don't do it regularly, but I do it from time to time. It is definitely more of a pain than using my Fusions. I have used my News, Fat Boy, Slim, with Feathers, Red IP's, and Hell-Mart Personnas. I used creams and soaps: Proraso, MB Mandarin Ice, Tabac, and good ol' Van der Hagen. I like the menthols the best. I usually do 2 passes with some touch-up. It takes forever compared to the carts. I shave it almost every day, so using a DE I don't have time for. Takes too long to get comparable results. I never cut myself, though.

1. What razor do you use? - Gillette Slim on setting #9

2. What blades do you use? - Astra SP

3. Do you use a cream or soap? - Both

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all? - Bloodely)

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes? - 2

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.) - 25 min

Prewar Tech with Kronos handle.

Feather, Astra SPs on occasion.

Proraso aloe and vitamin E cream(same for face).

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all?

In the first week, One cut(no scar), was careless, came down with too much pressure.

1 pass WTG.

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.)

When I first shaved my head with a cart years ago, it was short lived. Been shaving my head like this for at least 3 months now, everyday, and I don't see me stopping any time soon. Not time consuming at all, I make enough lather for my face and head everyday. Adds about 5 minutes to my shave.

Last edited:
A: All of them. I use open comb and solid bar DE's, my 4 SE's and my 2 injectors.

A: DE-prefer Feather, Derby, Lord Platinum, Personna Blue. SE-the PFTE coated blades, injector - Chinese Schick

A: Both, but prefer soaps.

A: A couple of nicks in the first couple of weeks, otherwise no problems. Much smoother than when I used a Mach3.

A: 2 passes, and some touch up areas,

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.).
A: Have not timed the different shaves. No plans to use a cartridge again. Feels quicker, as I needed more time doing touch ups with a cartridge.

Whichever I'm using on my face that day, for my last shave ATT Kronos R2.

Personna labs or meds are all I use, so those.

Soap the vast majority of the time, I only have two creams left and when they're gone, they're gone.

Fewer cuts with the DE to begin with, dropping to none after a couple of weeks.

Depends on the razor, 2 passes with most, 1 with a good OC.

Making the lather takes longer than squirting on goo, but the actual shave takes about the same length of time. I do find doing my head more time-consuming than my face though, hence 1 pass if I can get away with it.

Do any of you shave your head with a Safety Razor? If so...

1. Being new to wet shaving I use the micro one touch that was on TV.

2. I use the blades that came with the razor dorco blades

3. I use a Van der Hagen soap I picked up at Target.

4. The 1st couple of times I had nicks here and there but know over a month of shaving my head every other day I'm glad to say that I no longer cut myself

5. I usually do about 3 passes and mainly because of the back of the head where we all can't see

6. It takes me about 30 minutes for head and face, but I always do it when I have time because I don't wanna rush. I use to shave with a fusion proglide but the problem was that after 2 shaves the cartridge would be done and you all know how expensive those refills can be

Forgot to mention that I turn my back to the mirror on the wall and look through a hand held mirror to shave the back of my head.

I tried a DE, to many nicks.

I happily use a Quatro for 15 days

Use the AOS or Mikes soap I used on my face, my M&F brushes hold enough for 2 1/2 face passes, and 2 head passes, 2nd by braille.

I believe as my face as more give a DE is fine there, my head on the other hand doesn't have as much give so I let the flexible cartridge do that job.

I picked up 98 Quattro cartridges for $100 a few years ago, Got some Fusion 8 packs for $12ea a couple of weeks ago.

A man needs to know his limitations.

1. What razor do you use? I shave my head every other day using either a Muhle R41, Gillette Long Comb or a Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty set on 7 or 8 depending on the growth. Each of these razors does a great job with the R41 being my most aggressive one.

2. What blades do you use? Gillette Silver Blue. I usually get 2-3 head shaves on each of these.

3. Do you use a cream or soap? I use the Bay Rum Synergy Shaving Soap and an Edwin Jagger Badger Brush.

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all? I've been DE shaving my head for about six months now. I did cut myself pretty bad the first few shaves, but I quickly got the hang of it. I was pretty determined to make it work, because I hated using the cartridge razors and the expense of them was very painful to my wallet. I actually look forward to my head shaves now that I have switched to the safety razor and shave soap.

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes? I do one "all over" pass with a second pass for touch-ups and some of the hard to shave patches on the back of my head.

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.) It takes slightly longer than when I used cartridge razors, but I think most of it is because I used to rush through my head shaves where as now I like to take my time and concentrate on my technique. The results have been way better because of it!

1. What razor do you use? - Gillette Tech (English), Gillette Knack and my new favorite Standard Razors Black

2. What blades do you use? - Feather, Gillette Silver Blues & Voskhods

3. Do you use a cream or soap? - Prep Soap

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all? - It’s relatively easy once you get the hang of using the mirror(s) you have available. I think this is the hardest part at the beginning. The skin on your head is more taught than that on your face so with a good view you should be able to get a good shave fairly quickly.

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes? - 2ish, hard to tell sometimes.

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.) - It takes me about 30-40 minutes of actual shaving but could be done more quickly if it wasn’t so relaxing. If you wanted, you could do it in 15-20 minutes. I shave it every other day usually and the time varies a lot based on what’s going on that day and the time of day.

1. What razor do you use? GEM Micromatic Clog Proof

2. What blades do you use? Personna

3. Do you use a cream or soap? Van Der Hagen Deluxe soap

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all? Had a few cuts to start out with and learned to slow down. Now I get a minor cut about every other week. Usually because I'm still asleep. LOL

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes? 1 pass and touch-up in spots. Gets my head BBS. Gotta love the micromatic.

It takes longer because I go slower. I shave in the shower so I don't mind. I put a push button water valve on the shower head and a fog proof mirror on the shower wall. I also installed a heat lamp over shower. With this setup, I don't run all the hot water out but I still get a good warm wet shave every day.

1. What razor do you use? I've tried a few. Current favorite is a 37c.

2. What blades do you use? Try samplers. Everyone will be different, and I have different favorites for each razor.

3. Do you use a cream or soap? Both, at the same time. Look up uber lathers or super lathers.

4. Since you've began, how has it gone for you? Did you cut the heck out of your head for the first month or was it no problem at all? 1 or 2 nicks per shave for a week or two, until I figured out which hand and which grip worked best for each area of my head. No biggie. Just be a little more careful around the ears.

5. Do you do 1 pass? 2 passes? 3 passes? I typically do 3, WTG, XTG, GTX.

6. How time-consuming has it been for you? Does it take much longer than shaving with a cartridge razor? (ex: Mach 3, Fusion, etc.). It took A LOT longer at first. After 5 months I'm starting to approach the same amount of time as the cartridge.

Top Bottom