What's new

Cufflinks

I'm young and don't have a fortune to spend on triffles, but I'd like to purchase a pair of cufflinks (which are commonly worn in the office in which I work).

I'm not one for flashy things, but I'd be willing to spend on a tasteful pair if they're likely to last.

Anyone have thoughts on cufflinks or resources to point me to. My goal is to pick out one or two nice pairs (possibly used) -- something appropriate for my age (young) but that I still might enjoy in thirty years -- and hopefully might even one day pass along...

Thanks.

-Henry

Cuff links are the only way to wear formal shirts. They do not need to be old or stuffy. I have a selection of sets for lots of occasions:
  • I have compass links and a 'no u-turn' road sign set of links which I used to wear when negotiating a new doctors contract with the government.
  • I have a 'I am'...'single'...'spoken for' set for when 'on the pull'. I have since disposed of the 'single' link as I am now married.
  • Formula 1 racing cars.
  • Cheesy 'trust me...' and '..I'm a doctor' set for work. (Gift from the parents)
  • Different colours for different shirts/ties/suits...

It is a modest collection (about 10 pairs) but it entertains me when I do (rarely these days) wear a shirt.

I bought a set of links for my wedding 'the groom', 'father of the groom', 'brother of the groom', 'brother of the bride', 'usher', 'page boy', etc. which looked really cool and a nice little gift.

They cost anything upwards of £10, but of course if you go for a quality material such as gold or silver then you'll be spending a lot more.

I saw some good cufflinks in the new Bond movie. Don't know who makes em though.

but this brings up memories of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry bought those cufflinks and they "locked" them in the cooler for safekeeping. And the neighbor's parrot ate the key. good times.

I have one very nice pair of Tobias enameled coin cufflinks. they are actually 1 pound coins coated in silver and then painted with red, black and gold.
Got them here in Antwerp, but I believe their store is on Savile Row, London.

I have more than 100 sets of cuff links, I am only 35 and left the business world recently. Before I became a SAHD, I transitioned to wearing french cuffs, cuff links and tie every day when I moved into management. It is strange to wear cuff links the more I wore them the more people would gift them to me. I have everything from small greek coins, monopoly pieces, semi-precious stones, various company logos, mascots and even small tools.

I would look at old jewerly shops and classic shops. I think people quit selling them a yardsales, because the figured they were worth something and ebayed them. I would check ebay. I started wearing a basic pair of cuff links, after 3 days an older woman gave me a set because she was tired of seeing me wearing the same pair. I never thought anyone would notice my cuff links or ties, but that was in fact what people noticed. I never wore the same set in a week, then a month, then a quarter.

If you want to wear show off cuff links wear french cuff shirts.

Agree, you have to wear proper shirts for cuff links. You yanks call them 'french cuff', that always makes me laugh.

I've also received cuff links as gifts, and given them as gifts. It does become a CLAD (Cuff Link Acquisition Disorder) but you'll find other folk help you out. Great gifts at birthdays, XMAS, promotion, completion of deal, weddings, bar-mitzvahs, getting the sack, etc. Each pair of links has a story. Even the horrid ones (I have some of them too, and I have to wear them to avoid offending the purchasers of the gift!)

A good shirt, with a proper cuff and nice links will always be noticed, positively. You increase the variety of your wardrobe with numerous shirt-tie-link combos. Any other way of wearing a shirt is a lesser way of wearing a shirt. :001_tt2:

I recently started wearing french cuff shirts for the first time in my life, so I started looking around for cufflinks. I see tons of inexpensive cuff links on Ebay, and some expensive but very cool ones. The ones that appeal to me are the double sided ones-- the concept of nothing but a bar on the side that I look at all day seems silly. Even if the outside is an ornate stone the least they can do is attach it with a real link chain to an oval of silver or gold.

I also noticed that it can take a moment or two to get them in-- not always fun for those of us who rush out of the house in the morning for a train or bus.

And-- I do not agree that a regular barrel sleeve with buttons is inelegant. For example, when speaking in front of a lot of folks or on a job interview I would never wear cufflinks. In those cases, I do not want the listener to be distracted by my refinement.

Another thing to consider is the size of your wrists. If you have a slender wrist, the cuff needs to be sized appropriately or the proportion is going to be off.

Vin

I like Kenneth Cole cufflinks. Affordable and stylish. I tend toward silver tones and like mother-of-pearl and monograms. Yes, I'm a bit snooty, but aren't we all :)

Ebay is a good source of vintage sterling links.

And-- I do not agree that a regular barrel sleeve with buttons is inelegant. For example, when speaking in front of a lot of folks or on a job interview I would never wear cufflinks. In those cases, I do not want the listener to be distracted by my refinement.

I think this is another one you're going to have to chalk up to differences between what is considered formal or refined in Europe to what is considered formal or refined in N. America.

French cuffs are much more common in Europe than they are in the US. In the US however French cuffs are frequently associated with only two things: tuxedos and the extremely weathly and as such wearing cufflinks in the US, partially dependant on where you are, outside those two reasons is often considered to be a show-offish.

Wearing them where I live now in the Washington, DC region would still be somewhat unusual but I doubt anyone would really think very much about it. However, where I grew up (Northern Indiana) if you were to wear cufflinks you would stick out like a sore thumb and most people would think you are just showing off your wealth even if you were in a field that required formal dress (e.g. law, politics, etc.).

That said I've often thought about getting some cuff links and appropriate shirts, but I think I'd feel out of place wearing them anywhere I currently go.

The manufacturer of many of my links is Sonia Spencer. She does them in bone china.

A couple of websites for you to look at:
www.nicecufflinks.co.uk
www.simplycufflinks.com

Hope this helps.

Some great links - nicecufflinks has some very nice stuff at great prices and very cheap international shipping - their prices are about 1/2 to 1/3 what you would pay in a high end store.

As for whether to wear cufflinks, its a matter of taste - I wear them on occasion, but you have understand that you are making a statement.

I don't know what you do or how old you are, but I know that I've seen many young professionals wearing cufflinks that are garish or too "cute" - this can cause a negative perception (flashy, immature, etc.). However, if you wear something tasteful, it can definitely add something to an otherwise plain outfit.

Its also important to be aware of context and who you're dealing with - some people associate cufflinks with big business/Wall Street/fat cats, etc.

This has been alluded to in other posts and there are differences in style/perception depending on where you are, your age/position and profession.

Just a couple of more thoughts on the subject. Recently in another thread someone was asking for recommendations for a watch. There were many recommendations for new electonic casual watches from Casio etc.. I chimed in and said that a classic shaver might want a classic (wind up) watch and gave a reference for Ebay-- there are many inexpensive ($100 - $200) watches from the 30's to the 60's on Ebay-- my favorite is Hamilton.

Similarly, I think a B&Ber who starts wearing cufflinks should consider some vintage models. Many times they are less flashy-- the newer models seemed to be geared to events (at least in the US where wearing Cufflinks is associated with wealth and weddings) while the older models share the same qualities we all experience with our old Gillette shaving equipment-- well made and functional. And while the newer models often are one sided with just bars on a pivot on the inside, many of the vintage links are actual links-- they have a short chain between the two sides.

For the US, I think good staple choices for cufflinks are: one pair mother of pearl (simply look like fancy buttons) outlined in Silver or Gold, or no outline at all; one pair silver, oval or round, with some simple scrolling or filligree across the front; and one gold, similar to the silver. Putting aside all of the beautiful stones, diamonds, novelty, and other links available, I think this is what you need to exhibit some subtlety while still enjoying the sartorial elegance of links and a french cuffed shirt.

Vin

S

Sam

A little pricey, but I prefer Robert Talbott cufflinks and John Hardy. Also have a few pair of Thomas Pink

Sam

Robert Talbott cufflinks

I have a pair of those. Got them for a very very discounted price from Overstock.com. I really like them. Just nickel-sized silver circles, but with a radiated ridge pattern that really catches the light in a nice way.

-Mo

A

antspants

Hi,

Cufflinks can cost from so little to so much but on average for a good set is around £30. You also can get silk knots which are very cheap now and you have the advantage of getting a different colour for each shirt you own. Try www.hawesandcurtis.com for silk knots, cufflinks and stirling silver cufflinks. There is a good selection.

Antony

Cufflinks are one of those things that you can spend anything you want on. Sometimes I'll wear my Father in Laws 2nd Armored Division cufflinks (he served under Patton)

I REALLY like the look of knotted cufflinks, though. I just think they're a very natty look, quite reserved, but a bit off the beaten path. People will notice them, without really noticing them.

Check out http://www.thecambridgecollection.com/knottedcufflinks1.html

If you REALLY want to impress people, though, save your money and instead use it to buy The Ashley Book of Knots and some silk cord. Pick an ornate button knot, and make your own. When people comment on them, you can tell them you tied them yourself!!

Scott

Top Bottom