What's new

Featured Aftershave - Trumper's Extract of Limes

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
full

FEATURED AFTERSHAVE - TRUMPER'S EXTRACT OF LIMES

OK Folks. It's been a while since we did a Featured Aftershave so let's kick one off with Trumper's Extract of Limes. It is one of the more expensive aftershaves out there on the market.

Although it has a comparatively large price tag (it will run you north of $50.00), I think you get very little in return. Although the scent is one of the more true lime fragrances you can get, the scent is rather fleeting.

As for its intended purpose, this is where I think it comes up short. I find the Trumper Extract of Limes to be rather drying. It can be categorized in the line of products where there is a matching cologne/aftershave fragrance and the aftershave is little more than alcohol and water matching the fragrance of the cologne. The Floris line comes to my mind, particularly the JF cologne and aftershave. To the contrary, the DR Harris Arlington line has the cologne and the aftershave but the aftershave lotion healing properties are terrific.

If you are layering the EoL soap, aftershave and cologne it certainly makes for a nice shaving experience. However, if you had a rough shave and need the healing properties of a good aftershave, you may have to look to DR Harris' Pink Aftershave, Speick or Musgo Real.

Let's hear your thoughts.

For you consideration is Trumper's Extract of Limes Aftershave.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The scent of this stuff is just amazing. The BURN is too! And yes, for what you are getting it is overpriced. I would not buy it except for the scent. When I can find a deal on it I buy, but otherwise there are aftershaves that work better - Spick for instance. However if you want a superb lime scent, this is the only splash I have found that smells this good. Pussers is close, but this is the king.

I don't have the AS - but I DO have an almost giant bottle of the edc - the scent is short-lived, sicky sweet... not a mahvelous product, in my opinion.

However - I would like to mod the edc into an aftershave.

How would I go about that? Add witch hazel? Some type of alcohol? Glycerin? Aloe vera? Proportions?

I do like stinging AS.

Please give me some ideas and suggestions - or if any knowledgeable B&B member could steer me to a resource, I would appreciate that.

thanks!

I agree - the alcohol burn will wake you up in the morning and the scent is fantastic - really a true lime scent, but with zero skin healing properties and the scent is gone in 1/2 an hour (but what a wonderful smelling 1/2 hour!!!) It seems that the only way they can get a lime scent to last any amount of time is to blend it with other scents (i.e., Royal Lime), which, when the aftershave settles down, takes away the true lime scent.

I have the less fancy plastic bottle. Definitely not good value and I would probably not buy it again but I certainly do not regret trying it and I will continue to enjoy using it. Sometimes in the cooler weather I will put this on right after shaving and follow up with some CF Lime balm - the two most pure smelling lime products out there.

Back in Action!! Way to go Bob!!

ive always been interested in the lime scents however, early on realized that the citrus scents cause a slight burn, which was a complete surprise to me, as don't have much trouble in that area...

if the trumpers is not the best of the bunch, which lime scented AS is??

I have yet to give this one a go- I do like the Taylors #74 and best value is Saint Charles Shave Lime EO AS splash,works great and is cheap as chips.

I have yet to give this one a go- I do like the Taylors #74 and best value is Saint Charles Shave Lime EO AS splash,works great and is cheap as chips.

SCS lime is pretty good. Trumpers just smells better to my nose. Also excellent is Pussers. A bit more natural lime than Trumpers, which has a real sharp lime scent. SCS is very natural, not quite as intense as Pussers.

Trumpers lime is probably the most natural smelling lime I've encountered (I imagine Floris is somehow even moreso). Limes, just pure limes. I'm not even sure a lime rind smells as lime-ish as Trumpers. However, it is indeed fleeting. I've always wanted to try the Skin Food as many swear by it as their only aftershave routine. Of course, with George - you're paying top dollar and I get along nicely with my SCS lime splash (only a little though or your face gets all "extracty" tacky. When I do that though, I just smooth a little water over it and all is well. As for Trumpers - it's exquisite, with a price to match.

GFT Limes line is one of my favorite limes out there. I haven't experienced any drying issues and my wife frequently asks while we're laying in bed if I'd reapplied my AS of cologne so that tells me that the scent agrees with my body chemistry. This AS particularly agrees with my skin and the scent is fantastic.

GFT Limes is one of my personal favorites.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through my 500ml bottle, and I really like the stuff. It's cooling, smells nice and seems good for my skin.

Problems: Very, very expensive. Carumba. Also, not too great for a rough shave day. It feels good for a few minutes, then the burn returns.

So - I'll happily use up what I have, but will consider something else when it runs out.

Trumpers lime is probably the most natural smelling lime I've encountered (I imagine Floris is somehow even moreso). Limes, just pure limes. I'm not even sure a lime rind smells as lime-ish as Trumpers. However, it is indeed fleeting.
Yup.
It's likely predominantly natural Lime essential oil and other essential oils diluted into AS base.

Truefitt's Limes I like better, but it is not nearly as natural as Trumper's
Penhaligon's Kills htem both, unfortuneately, Penhaligon's was hard to get for a long time.

Well, my timing couldn't be better, or worse depending how you look at it. Just opened the box tonight with my Trumper's limes shaving cream, body wash, skin food and after shave. I'm not all that encouraged by the reviews. I'll let you know what I think after I use them tomorrow.

After using the products and particularly the AS, I have mixed feelings. I actually like the scent quite a bit.

However, when I splashed on some AS I didn't get the tiniest burn at all. I guess some would consider that a good thing, but I kind of like a little burn and the feeling that it is tightening up my skin.

Also, I found the AS scent doesn't last long. I asked my wife what she thought of it about 10 minutes after applying and she really had to get close to smell it (so it does have some redeeming qualities :biggrin1:). She liked it, but thought it was very mild.

For the price, can't say I'm 100% satisfied.

...the scent is rather fleeting.
That's being generous, as it's gone before you can finish reading this sentence!

It's like being hit with a sonic BOOM of lime, and when you whip your head around to see what it was - it's already dwindling to a dot in the far distance.

Love the scent though... :thumbup:

However, when I splashed on some AS I didn't get the tiniest burn at all.

I find this to be amazing. Do you have really tough skin, or what? Trumper lime a/s splash burns me like hellfire. It's quite high in alcohol, and only has water and fragrance to balance it out. I can handle a number of well-buffered alcohol splashes (SMN, Proraso, Musgo, etc.), but the true "old school" types like Trumper are just too harsh. It's a bummer, because I love the smell. While I can still use it as a cologne, I would love to be able to splash the lime on after a shave without feeling the need to run for the nearest fire extinguisher.

Top Bottom