What's new

Too many pics to muddle up the acquisition thread....

#1 - I think it is around 11/8ths...

#2 - Wasn't by choice... I ordered it, without specifying size (thinking it would be around 6/8-8/8.

Are you actually going to shave with this beast?

I'm pretty new to this, but I can't imagine using something this big.

I didn't have any problems with 5/8 or 6/8, but found 7/8 a little awkward - I cant' imagine using a 8/8, let alone a 11/8!

If you do use it, you'll have to let us know what the experience is like - especially around the chin & under the nose.

One thing's for sure, a momentary lapse of attention with this razor and you'll be needing reconstructive surgery!

Beautiful razor - love the wedges.

Are you actually going to shave with this beast?

I'm pretty new to this, but I can't imagine using something this big.

I didn't have any problems with 5/8 or 6/8, but found 7/8 a little awkward - I cant' imagine using a 8/8, let alone a 11/8!

If you do use it, you'll have to let us know what the experience is like - especially around the chin & under the nose.

One thing's for sure, a momentary lapse of attention with this razor and you'll be needing reconstructive surgery!

Beautiful razor - love the wedges.

You bet your bippy it's a user. ALL of the razors I buy/own/keep are users... I am a user, not just a collector :biggrin:

Shaved with it no problem and it delivered a superlative shave, just need to work on the edge a little more - but sweet mother of god this steel is absurdly hard. It just laughs at a norton 4K.

You bet your bippy it's a user. ALL of the razors I buy/own/keep are users... I am a user, not just a collector :biggrin:

Shaved with it no problem and it delivered a superlative shave, just need to work on the edge a little more - but sweet mother of god this steel is absurdly hard. It just laughs at a norton 4K.

No surprise. Like I said, it's a razor I would certainly enjoy using. All that blade weight behind a keen edge no doubt makes for a breezy, pleasant shave. I also am a user/collector. There are a couple of exceptions -- razors I plan to keep pristine in their packaging to give to my son. If, by the time he's old enough to use them he decides he doesn't like them, I'm sure I'll be able to sell them for an even more substantial price than I could get now. It's a win-win. :wink:

I think that folks see a huge blade like that and assume it's harder to use. I own a mammoth of a Wade & Butcher wedge with horn scales, and while supporting its weight becomes more important than when I use a 5/8, the heft behind the edge helps the razor fall through the hairs with much less push-through than I'd need to use with a smaller blade. I find sharper and heavier more enjoyable to use than smaller and lighter. Each has its place, and I have a 4/8 Wostenholm that's sharp as sin -- and I'd never part with it. Light as a feather that one.

Top Bottom