What's new

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap

After reading several recommendations of Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap I bought a bar at the Natural ?Foods store here in Springfield, Mo. It is not too bad but I smell like a baseball bat now after my shower. :biggrin:

I'm not really knocking it but it is an interesting scent. It appears that this bar will last much longer than my Dial soap I usually use. That would help offset the price.

The box states that this soap can be used for shaving among others. Has anyone tried that? I'll have to check out some of the other scents too.

I just bought a bar yesterday, but it'll be a while before it gets used. I like the smell, though. My wife, I can assure you, will not. :smile:

Missed that it said one could shave with it. Haven't tried it. Probably good for one's skin. Makes mine feel good. I do not mind the way it makes me smell. Hate the way it makes my bathroom smell! I probably will not buy it again for that reason alone!

Edit addition: I like it as a shampoo. I really like these soaps that are shampoos, too. They invariably seem to feel good on my skin.

Last edited:
L

LikesMyBeard

I use it to shave. I used a food grater (fine) on the bar and packed and tamped it down into a left-over wooden shaving soap bowl. After a couple of days, the thing was solid enough to use normally.

Strong scent, but with the witch hazel and face lotion afterwards, not bad! And it is amazingly good for my skin.

I absolutely loved the scent. It smelled like a bonfire setting the next day in the morning dew. It's scent from the bar however took over our small bathroom 24 hours a day. The wife insisted that it go. I miss it.

Just love the stuff. Expensive over here though. We have Wright's Coal Tar soap which is along similar lines but not so strongly scented now they've taken the coal tar out of the recipe.

Gareth

My favorite soap :thumbup1:

True it does skunk up the bathroom, BUT, the smell on yourself really doesn't linger. It does get you clean though and is easy on your skin. Would like to see more reviews as a shaving soap though.

When I was in Iraq, i used to to shave, wash my har and kept a bar in my sleeping bag to keep the bed bugs out.
It will lather up thick and rich with a heavy brush. My grandmother started me on GPTS back in the early 60's. I can remember when I thought .59 was expensive for a bar of soap. Last time I bought a bar is was $3.75.

Not my first choice for shave soap, but if you need one bar that does it all, this one's a reasonable choice.

I think it's great soap in terms of performance. I'm not crazy about the scent, but my wife absolutely loathed it, so it's a no-go in the Obsessed household. I can't really blame her: it's a very strong scent that completely permeated the bathroom, and even snuck into the bedroom.

I wouldn't shave with it, but I love it as a normal soap. It feels nice on my skin and I like the woodsman kinda scent.

I absolutely loved the scent. It smelled like a bonfire setting the next day in the morning dew. It's scent from the bar however took over our small bathroom 24 hours a day. The wife insisted that it go. I miss it.

You could always put it in a container with a lid between uses. :001_cool:

Regarding the other scents, do any of them have the multi-use characteristics of the Pine Tar scent? (e.g. soap, shampoo, shave soap)

Just love the stuff. Expensive over here though. We have Wright's Coal Tar soap which is along similar lines but not so strongly scented now they've taken the coal tar out of the recipe.

Gareth

Yeah, I just love Wrights Original Coal Tar soap but I agree with you that it's not the same now it doesn't have coal tar in it anymore. The fragrance is no substitute for the real thing.

I still use it every day as its still better than most soaps on the market here.

I have the body wash, and it just smells like burned wood or charcoal. Not at all refreshing or plesant. Their sister company, Kirks, on the other hand, has some very nice products.

Top Bottom