What's new

Scotch age

Hello,

I wondered: Most scotches have their age on label (10 years to 30 years usually). But I came across some scotchs that had "Double ageing" on the label (not sure if it is a good translation: in french it's double vieillissement and vieillissement means getting older, so...).

I'd want to know what double ageing means

Thanks

I think double ageing refers to that it has been stored in two different ways. For example, first in oak barrels and then moved to cherry casks.

I also came across the mention "double wood" and I thought that this was aged in different casks. But it might be two names for the same thing

There's one by the Balvenie distillery that is called "DoubleWood", because it is aged in two different kinds of barrels, one traditional American Oak that has been used for Bourbon aging, and the other that has been used to mature sherry.
I'm not sure if they move the liquor from one to the other, or if it's a mix.

I suspect that that's the one you saw. It's delicious.

From Wikipedia on the definition of a single malt:

Single malt whisky is a whisky which is distilled at a single distillery, and which is made completely from a single type of malted grain, traditionally barley, (although there are also single malt rye whiskies). Most single malt whiskies are distilled using a pot still. Single malts are produced all over the world, but the best known single malts come from Scotland, Ireland and Japan.

So most whiskies are blended, but if they use stock from only one distillery, it's a single malt. The "age statement", as it's called, must be no older than the youngest whisky in the mix.

And as a general info point: Once the whisky is removed from oak, the aging stops. The age statement on the bottle is what you have, regardless of how long you've had it on the shelf.

Double aging is using two different types of casks for the aging process. For example a 16 year old Port Finish, might have 14 years in bourbon barrels and the final 2 years in Port pipes.

Top Bottom