What's new

Will rubbing alcohol damage a golden razor?

If it's a metallic razor, really gold plated, I believe that gently rubbing with alcohol will have no effect except cleaning.:001_smile

Alcohol will not hurt anything if you don't rub too hard. Do not use an electric cleaning tool like a dremel without extreme care. It't possible to generate heat with a powered tool which can then burn right through the plating as others have no doubt discovered. Ammonia actually works better for stain removal, will not hurt the gold, but the best thing is a product called Never Dull, it comes in a can containing a cotton like wadding material. The wadding is saturated with solvent cleaner, not abrasives, and will clean the gold plating with no ill effect, leaves a very shiny surface. Do not rub too hard and prior to polishing, take one of your shaving brushes and lightly flick off the surface to remove tiny dust particles, what causes scratches from polishing is dirt particles on the surface, good luck, bc

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nevr Dull will remove the laquer that is over the gold, promoting loss of gold. Just a warning.

That's a good call about the Never Dull and the lacquer, I have never had that kind of problem but it is a possiblity. A lot of old gold type razors have long since given up the lacquer finish so it isn't really an issue any more but if you have one that is in near pristine condition, then that would certainly be an added concern. I have had some gold aristocrats replated but not refinished with the lacquer so I can polish them without a problem. Nice of you to spot that, thanks bc (I might add by the way for anyone thinking about replating that one of the steps to prepare is to soak the razor in an acetone solution which removes any remaining lacquer from the actual plating so any kind of cleaner, though safe for gold finishes, might not be safe for a lacquer if it is still there.)

Last edited:
Scrubbing bubbles FTW. It not only cleans the soap scum but it is an EPA registered disinfectant too!

Trust me, I am a sanitarian. :wink:

I have cleaned up a lot of crappy razors. Typically scrubbing bubbles, followed by some elbow grease (gentle) with a toothbrush and maybe a toothpick. Then mineral oil with a q-tip.

I think a lot of what we see people doing to disinfect razors is major overkill.

Scrubbing bubbles FTW. It not only cleans the soap scum but it is an EPA registered disinfectant too!

Trust me, I am a sanitarian. :wink:

I have cleaned up a lot of crappy razors. Typically scrubbing bubbles, followed by some elbow grease (gentle) with a toothbrush and maybe a toothpick. Then mineral oil with a q-tip.

I think a lot of what we see people doing to disinfect razors is major overkill.

I agree with this but every time I have used this on a gold razor it has always ruined them please do not use this for your gold razor.

I cleaned a gold aristocrat this weekend with scrubbing bubbles. Did no damage at all. Razor looks beautiful.

Is the lacquer the concern?

Last edited:
Top Bottom