What's new

Boar users: What type of badger did you use before switching to boar?

Boar users: What type of badger did you use before switching to boar?

• Pure badger

• Best badger

• Silvertip

• I never used a badger

• Other (please specify in post)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am trying to prove a point to myself. I believe that the reason many boar users prefer boar to badger is because they have compared a boar to a low quality badger. Let's see.

I didn't vote because I have not *switched* to a boar.

I tried a boar (Omega Pro 49) for a while as part of my rotation and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was -- nicer than some badgers I've owned.

But it is no longer part of my active rotation -- I like the Rooneys too much. I don't intend to get rid of the Omega as I expect I will get the urge to use it once in a while.

I didn't vote because I have not *switched* to a boar.

I tried a boar (Omega Pro 49) for a while as part of my rotation and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was -- nicer than some badgers I've owned.

But it is no longer part of my active rotation -- I like the Rooneys too much. I don't intend to get rid of the Omega as I expect I will get the urge to use it once in a while.

I could have written the above comment verbatim. I am also not going to vote because I have not switched. I have tried boars, and I was surprised at how good they were. I tried an Omega professional and a Semogue. I tried boars after realizing that I'm using my soaps more than my creams. I really liked both boar brushes (the Omega is hog, but a rose by any other name. . . ). HOWEVER, they will not be replacing my Rooney 3/1 super silvertip anytime soon. I will use the boars on occasion, but the Rooney is still my daily driver.

I like them both, but I have not "switched". I use boars for soap and badgers for creams. I have VDH, C&E, Kent, Col. Conk, Marvey, Burma Shave, Vulfix, Old Spice and Shavemac boars, badgers and even a couple of synthetics and don't find badger to be superior to boar or vice versa, just better suited at certain tasks.

I'm with Rob, I use both. Boar for soaps, badger for creams. I also usually face lather with the boars and build it in a bowl with the badger. I have a synthetic bush, too, but I don't use it very often.

I am experimenting..
Contrary to all common belief, I like my boar for creams and save my silvertip for soap.

Semogue from Leon is in the pipeline, which might change all this...

I use a boar and badger with equal efficacy with both soaps and creams... I'm not discounting the experience of others, but I've not noticed a difference in the ability of either to perform in terms of soaps vs. creams. And, now that I've learned how to use the boar effectively, it's difficult to say which is "better" IMO.

I started with a Burma shave brush which for me worked really well.
In fact I now use it as my travel brush.
I then bought the Vulfix #403 and used it for awhile before deciding that badger wasn't that great and got the excellent Omega Pro which is my go to brush.

I think it is silly to be either a 'Boar User' or a 'Badger User.'

I use both and I think they both definitely have something to offer. Try something new once in a while. Makes shaving fun.

Snobby 'Badger Users' make me ROFL.

Before switching? I use both badger and boar brushes on a regular basis, they all see a little action from soaps and creams. They both have their good and bad points if you ask me, although I will say that I do find badger snobs to be a bit misguided if not hilarious in their fanatical devotion to a single kind of brush.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I tried an Omega pure badger... I found it very scratchy vs a boar. Also, the price difference made me think it wasn't worth it. I will give badgers another go. I am in the final steps of choosing a silvertip...

I also use both. Boar for soap and C&E BBB for creams. The Boar can hold its own with creams though while for hard soaps the BBB just whimpers away. Just a different tool in the box.

I used a Windsor brand pure badger for a while, found it very scratchy and it always caused a rash. I then went to an Omega Pro and have had very good results with it but find the brush a bit big. I now use an Edwin Jagger synthetic as well.

I will probably try badger again but will go for either best or silver tip.

cheer,

Mark

I did not vote because I have not "switched" nor will I. I have a great boar and it is fantastic with soaps! However, boar just can't touch the quality of a good Badger brush. I'll always have room in my rotation for my boar brush though.

Personally, I use both. However, in terms of pure efficacy/comfort vs. price, boar far outshines badger. Yes, some say silvertip or BBB is better, however when considering the price you pay for the more luxurious brushes, it's obvious as to why some might prefer boar.
That's not to say the cheaper badgers are worse overall. I rather enjoy using my tweezerman once in a while, due to its exfoliating "scratchiness," however on a daily basis, nothing compares to my omega professional boar or my BBB/Slivertip.

I use a boar and badger with equal efficacy with both soaps and creams... I'm not discounting the experience of others, but I've not noticed a difference in the ability of either to perform in terms of soaps vs. creams. And, now that I've learned how to use the boar effectively, it's difficult to say which is "better" IMO.

I can use both types of brush on either soap or cream, but it seems that the majority of boars I have like to absorb all the cream in one fell swoop. When you're face lathering, this is really no big deal for me, but on those rare occasions when I bowl lather I've found most boars to be useless in the cream department. I feel like I'm using an insane amount of product with a boar compared to when I use a badger.

And really, all creams and soaps are different. If I have a hard time getting a lather out of a certain cream or soap I switch brushes. For example, I have yet to try a badger that gives me a decent lather from Williams. Give me a cheap Burma Shave or VDH boar, though, and it looks like I have Cool Whip on my face. It's just been my general impression that boars seem to make short work out of hard soaps and badgers tend not to swallow all my cream. (That sounded very filthy, BTW). :biggrin:

I use both, it just really depends on my mood, some day's I'm in the mood for a good exfoliating scrub, thus I use my Boar, when I want some thing more on gentle side, I use my C&E BBB....

Top Bottom