What's new

Neck Issues

Thanks to an interesting thread I read yesterday (especially Joel's typically eye-opening posting), I came to a wonderful realization. The irritation I often get on my lower neck results from the fact that I every-so-slightly change my blade angle when I shave there. This is partly due to lack of concentration, partly to my poor sense of geometry, and mostly to allowing my left hand (with which I pull down my skin) to interfere with the razor handle.

This morning I took some extra time to shave. I did Joel's exercise (see his post at: http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10244). This confirmed the angle that I use most effectively. Then I shaved my neck very slowly being careful to maintain that angle. The result was remarkable. A smooth, comfortable, irritation-free shave.

Here is what I have learned: 1) Pulling the skin taut on my neck is just an unnecessary habit. It serves no purpose, at least for me. 2) It is very important to determine the angle that works best on your own face. Joel's exercise was really helpful in this regard. 3) Once one has determined that angle, one should focus on maintaining it, even in places where that may not seem perfectly natural. I imagine after a few weeks of concentration, this becomes more and more automatic (as Joel suggests). 4) I had convinced myself that I could not do against-the-grain passes on my neck without irritation. It turns out that I can do ATG passes as long as I focus on maintaining that angle. 5) I now understand that the irritation I was getting was mostly the result of slicing rather than cutting the hair from my neck.

The razor, the blade, the soap/cream, the prep are all important. But blade angle is a lot more subtle and at least equally important as the others. I am guessing that shavers who use a straight razor are a lot more aware of blade angle than the rest of us.

I read that post yesterday and realised my blade angle was probably wrong on my neck, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it's encouraging to hear somebody else has had good results.

I've just recently started trying some new things with my neck. The hair grows from my left ear to my right, sort of W-E, if you will. Consequently, N-S and S-N passes are perfect for XTG closeness. Thing is, keeping a constant blade angle while using the 'scooping' stroke commonly done on the neck has proven difficult for me. I recently took a play from one of the RMWS 'cutting forms' in which I use a short downstroke for the lower half of my neck and a short upstroke for the upper part. For some reason this has seemed to work much better, and I'm tempted to think it's because the 'scooping' upstroke keeps the blade angle relatively constant while following the curve of my neck. I'm pretty happy with it!

Just my $0.02...

Joe

Scotto posted about "not bending the wrist", which is one of the most helpful tips I have ever read. Just don't let him know I said that! :biggrin:

Randy

I read that post yesterday and realised my blade angle was probably wrong on my neck, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it's encouraging to hear somebody else has had good results.
How did that go for you?

This morning I did some further experimenting. I tried something that I have read about several times in various threads: the bullfrog. This is just scrunching the neck rather than stretching. The point is to make a continuous shaving plain that combines the jaw line with the neck (which helps in maintaining the same blade angle). This really runs counter to the habit I developed in all those years of bad shaving. It will take some time for me to get good at this as it feels pretty unnatural. But it is definitely worth the effort. I was able to get good N-S, ear to nose, and ATG passes with no cuts. A very close shave with almost no irritation. I had to keep my focus, but practice will make perfect.

Top Bottom