What's new

Do you crew?

So as of now I use American Crew hair products (typically the wax/pomade in the copper container and forming creme in the green container).

Lets be honest.... grooming can get expensive so I'm looking for a lesser expensive alternative to American Crew.

I'm hoping one of you can give me a good rec on what products are very similar to the American Crew wax and forming creme.

Thank you in advance.

Sally Beauty Supply has their own version that is similar to American Crew, from what I've heard. The packaging looks very similar, but it is about half the price.

Sally Beauty Supply has their own version that is similar to American Crew, from what I've heard. The packaging looks very similar, but it is about half the price.

I recently bought the "American Classic" Pomade from Sallys. For me it works just as well as the AC pomade, though the scent is a little more chemical, but it fades anyway. It was $8.99.

Give it a try.

-Mason

AC used to have a grooming cream in a pump that I used regularly until, as is often my fate, it was discontinued. Frankly, I'm still searching for a suitable replacement.

I used the AC forming cream and firm gel and Sally's. I like neither AC and prefer the Axe spiked up look putty (seriously). I bought 5 axe products at Walgreens and got 2 free movie tickets. So the price was cheap and I got a cheap date out of it.

If the AC stuff is working for you, stick with it. It doesn't have to be expensive. This brand ranks high on the list of "diverted" products and, as Austin noted, it's always on sale at low prices somewhere if you look for it.

A couple of extra bucks isn't a lot to pay for a quality product. And no, I'm not plugging AC. I think we all find our own definitions of value in a variety of products at different price points. There are a lot of good soft product lines out there like Real Shaving Company, Pinaud, Nivea, Neutrogena and what I consider to be special individual products like MWF, JM Fraser's or Dickinson's Witch Hazel. I think certain, but not all products from each of those lines offer the best quality and performance in their class. And everbody has their own list.

It's all pretty subjective but when you're debating a purchase just remember - you're worth it. :biggrin:

Regards,

Les

fwiw... I've just started using a little product for when my crew cut gets too grown out between cuts. I tried the CREW stuff and while it works, the scent could be better and it makes my scalp break out. I tired a few others and settled on the AXE Clean Cut Pomade. Yes, I"m ashamed to admit it given the spray's reputation. But, it's inexpensive, easily available, and works well. A little goes a long way.

Top Bottom