What's new

After my first few shaves with a DE...

I have been taking it very slow for my first half dozen shaves. I am getting a better shave than I was with a Mach3 but I am spending a long time. The big thing that slows me down is figuring out blade angle. My cheeks and neck are the easiest. Below my nose and under/around the chin not so easy. I can't seem to get the blade at a comfortable angle in these tighter spots. I think I am placing the blade at too high an angle to my skin but in these spots I can't seem to figure out how to get the recommended 30 degrees.

I am using a Muhle R89 which seems to have a large gap between the blade and the portion of the blade resting on my face. I have read some reviews on this razor that suggested it might be a relatively aggressive razor, but I think the Muhle was resigned and improved since that review.

I have read here that the Gillette Super Speed is a very forgiving design for beginners that still provides a close shave. Maybe the Gillette SS and my Muhle are very different in this regard. I am wondering if I might find another razor easier to start with? Is there something closer to the Gillette SS I can buy?

I have been studying the razors at Bob's Razor Works. It looks like Bob sells handles and heads as two parts. This makes me wonder if it is possible to buy different razor heads or if Bob is making the heads he sells? I plan to send Bob a note to figure out what options he offers but I am curious to know what head types might be best for starting DE guys and why.

Thanks for the help,

MacMitch

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Bob makes a great product, no doubt about it. I don't believe he makes the heads, they are re-used from other razors, perhaps those that would otherwise have met the end of their life. That's a good thing.
The Superspeed is a good razor, though some are not so fond of them.
I know that a Tech or a Superspeed is a good razor for starting. I have been told that a Merkur HD is as well.
In any case, Bob is a source, as is the Buy Sell Trade section of this forum. A lot of great buys for very reasonable prices.
Good luck, and good shaves.

Top Bottom