What's new

Do you DE and Straight veterans have consistently bloodless shaves?

Just wondering when or if you reach a point where you go weeks, months, maybe years without drawing blood? Do you ever get to the point where you say, "Wow, I just cut myself. I can't remember when that last happened." ?Because right now that time to me seems pretty far off. I'll never stop wet shaving now that I'm hooked but I just want to know what I'm in for down the road.

Funny thing is I'd been quite a few months without a nick or cut. Then yesterday the slant bit me on a mole under my chin. Then this morning, even being careful due to yesterdays cut, one of my superspeeds got me on the exact same spot. I'm hoping maybe my injector will be kind tomorrow and get me back on track.

Well I started back in Late September/early October using a DE and now about once a month or so I cut through a zit but I have not cut myself that much. The worst cut I ever had was on my adams apple but that happened only 2x my total de use! But most of the time no cuts!

Cheers,
Charlie

I started wet shaving about 50 years ago and getting a cut is rare EXCEPT when I am learning a new razor, try to extend the life of a blade too long, or just get clumsy. You might want to take a second look at your razor, I just got rid og a 4" Parker I loved the looks of but the blade extended farther from one side than it did the other and I knicked myself all the time, I don't think I have ever cut myself with a Schick, Gillette Black beauty or Gillette slim. Mu favorite is an old Aristoocrat, but if you get sloppy with your technique it will knick you

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
With a straight, not a Veteran yet, still a newbie.

With a DE, I wouldn't call myself a Veteran as I didn't complete a year yet. But, I rarely cut myself, usually I get a small nick when I push the blade too much. I try to use my blades as much as I can. I usually get more than 3 shaves out of them. At the moment I'm going through a bunch of brands so I don't know how consistent they are and it happen that I think I will be ok for another 3 passes but It's not! I would say once or twice a month.

I should be nick-free when I stop playing with all those blades and stick to something I know!

I'm 62 and as far back as I can remember Everyone had a styptic pencil in their medecine cabinet. I remember the T-Paper on the cuts.
Later in life when I became lazy and was always in a hurry the same thing happened with multiple blade razors. I bled alot trying to cheap out on mach three blaces and canned soap.
Trust me. I use a straight razor, a DE and SE. I still get nicks and cuts, but I would say no more than before.
Take your time and pay attention and it will really make a difference. Pick out the mildest razor that you have and use it when you are in a hurry.

Last edited:
Typically the only time I have a weeper is after I let the blade go too long. I always change the blade after 3 shaves. To be honest I have never cut myself....but that is only with a DE razor. I am not yet enough man to try a straight.

When I first used a red tip super speed, I bled several shaves in a row. Don't know if the razor is damaged, or just bad technique. Rarely get any blood since I stopped using the red devil. Now I use mostly a Merkur HD, Aristocrat, 40's SS, and a fat and slim adjustable with practically no blood loss.

I'm still a relative new boy at this. However, i can say this, i still get the odd nick and cut, but with a proper prep, and some alum afterwards it doesnt matter. A small nick is much preferable to a neck that looks and feels like a sheep with its throat cut.

Yes - I've been using a DE exclusively for a year now and have consistently gotten a BBS shave on a daily basis for months without any cuts, scrapes, weepers, etc. I bought a stypic pencil when I first started shaving and used it a few times, but I sits in the bottom of the drawer now.

The only time I had trouble is if I rush my shave or if the razor slips or something. Just take your time, prep with plenty of hot water, master your technique/blade angle, apply NO extra pressure and you'll stop cutting yourself. It may seem like it takes a long time to shave at first, but once you get this down your speed should really pick up.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nicked by my ear a few months ago twice in the same week with a straight razor (still learning) but really rare for me to draw blood.

Been at it a dozen years or more. No matter how hard I try, there's occassionally a pimple or something that gets sliced off or nicked at. Aside from that, if I'm careful, I only ever get weepers with a DE. But I rarely try for perfection, and shave in well under 10 minutes from prep to dry again--about a minute per pass--so I do get a weeper every few shaves. Also, since coming to B&b and trying out so many new things, including a straight, I do get a lot more weepers with the DE than ever before. I'm not sure if I got one cut recently with the DE or if it was with the straight, which still nicks me nearly ever time after three months.

I almost never cut myself, on my face or my scalp. I rarely did with cartridges, either. I'm usually pretty careful, even if I'm rushing a bit.

More or less...? More than switching to DE, it's helped that accutane has cleared up my face. I was constantly running over pimples before.

Every time I have had blood loss it has been due to poor prep and/or a new razor/blade combo. And I have only been at it a few months.

Do you DE and Straight veterans have consistently bloodless shaves?

Yes.

Got some nicks and weepers when returning to the DE, but I just don't draw blood anymore. If I extend a blade to an extra shave, or hurry the prep I'll get some razor-burn, but that's about it.

-- John Gehman

I got a weeper a few days ago and that was the first time I had drawn blood in months. Then again I have pretty thick skin and have never really nicked myself very often to begin with.

After starting this whole single blade thing in April I've turned the corner the last few weeks and seldom see any blood at all. So nice to rub the throat and face without any hint of pain.

I probably would have reached this point sooner, but I seldom use the same format (DE vs. SE vs. injector) more than a week at a time. I'm constantly rotating it to try things out.

- Chris

Top Bottom