What's new

House that makes the best mid-priced or "reasonably" priced fragrances

I have noticed we laud some very expensive fragrances, such as those from Creed, but it seems that it is more difficult and laudable to make fragrances that are as good as the priciest ones at a more reasonable price, particularly if sold by reputable on-line vendors.

So far, I believe the best House to do so is Guerlain. Its Vetiver is one of the best made. I will always have it as long as it is available here in the US. Further, I would wear every one of several of its fragrances that I have sampled, owned or own. So my vote, for what it is worth, goes to Guerlain.

What do you gentleman believe is the House that offers the best value fragrances and which ones?

Last edited:
I think that Caron is also an excellent source of reasonably priced men's fragrances. Pour l'homme, Yatagan, l'Anarchiste, 3rd Man--all great choices and and they're all priced in the $30s.

+1 for Caron. also Channel is classic and well put together for mid range. A sleeper fragrance house in my opinion is l'occitane. simply beautiful juice!

Depends on your definition of "reasonable". Unless you're after niche scents, most mainstream houses are what I consider reasonable. YSL, Bvlgari, Issey Miyake, etc. make some of the highest-rate and popular scents going. Online sellers offer most at a discount. Tabac is very popular here and is one of the cheapest scents offered. The three T's, offer EdT versions of all their scents at a nice price, too.
B/S/T and/or BN are fine places to discover bargains, too.

I think the older houses of Guerlain and Caron produce some great scents for the price. My favorite but seldom mentioned in this category is the French house of Fragonard.

I might add that in my limited experience, one cannot equate scent price with quality. I doubt many products have a markup anywhere near that of colognes. Many of the dept store fragrances must use similar bases as they tend to smell the same after the first hour or so. I think all that really matters is one's own opinion (and perhaps that of their SO).

I know that one man's reasonable is another man's outrageous, but I was referring to those really fine fragrances that are available in the US in the price range of L'Occitan and Guerlain, hopefully $35.00 to $55.00 for 100ml via an on-line vendor. Of course, less for good quality is even better.

I brought this topic up, because I very frequently see recommendations for fragrances from C&S, Penhaligons, Creed, etc. I see recommendations often from small Houses, where the price of the fragrance exceeds $125.00. An example is one of our members recommended Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire as a stronger Vetiver than Guerlain's. The price is about $140.00 for 50ml. For many of us this is just an insane amount to pay for a scent and not very helpful. Also, I see recommendations for fragrances that are out of production or not available to those of us residing in North America. I wanted those of us with some limitations in our budgets for fragrances to recommend true values to one another. I hope that we can continue to do so.

So far, the only place I've found to order online is Cambridge Chemists. They have it for $24.50, and I'm pretty sure if you dig around the archives you can find a discount code for B&B members (don't quote me on that, though.)

So far, the only place I've found to order online is Cambridge Chemists. They have it for $24.50, and I'm pretty sure if you dig around the archives you can find a discount code for B&B members (don't quote me on that, though.)

I've ordered from here a few times

http://dewanfragrances.com/

I have no idea how they sell it so cheap. Everything seems, to my inexpert nose, to be legit. Great customer service too.

the only downside is that they spam the email you supply. Highly recommended, though.

Edit: I guess I missed the exchange that gave rise to the online supplier. Dewan doesn't carry it. They do have a good selection, though

I second Guerlain. Many of their fine fragrances go for around $50 unless it's a rare or discontinued one.

The original scent is great. Tuscany is also great. They are reintroducing several formulations -- including Havana, which originally sold in the $40 range, and goes on the bay for hundreds now. Life is good.

Cambrige Chemists do not have a code. You just add a comment that you are a B&B member and Scott will adjust the total. My last order, I got 10% off and free shipping. When you go through the order process, the discount will not appear.
TOBS scents are all <$50. If you like the scent of their creams, this may be an option. If a vetyver is what you're after, look at Lalique Encre Noir from any of the discount sellers online.

The best quality for less is undoubtfully Lt. Piver.
Lt. Piver is a French Fragrance house from Paris which can be called the forerunner of all Fragrances because it is since 1774.
I bought a 100ml bottle of Vetiver EDT for just 23 euro which is quite cheap here in Europe.

Top Bottom