What's new

Razor Burn or Sensitive Skin?

Hello,

I am newbie to DE shaving. I recently purchased a Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor along with some Proraso shaving cream. I was not satisfied with the outcome of my first shave because after I put some Vasaline Mens Face & Body Lotion after the shave it stung and hurt like hell. The second day I noticed that the skin on my face was peeling much like it does after a sun burn. I believe I followed all the essential steps preping for the shave.

1. Hot Shower
2. Soaked AOS badger brush in bowl containing hot water.
3. Washed face with hot water and applied AOS uncented pre shave oil
4. Made lather using Proraso shaveing cream in hot bowl using soaked badger brush.
5. Applied lather to face using painting technique.
6. Started shaving using short WTG strokes at a 30 degree angle with my wrist locked using almost no pressure. (used a merkur razor blade with razor)
7. Applied second lather followed by same shaving technique described in step 6.
8. Washed face with cold water to close up pores.
9. Applied Vasaline Mens Face & Body Lotion as after shave since my face is sensitive and I try not to use any balms of splashes containing alcohol.

I was very dissappointed with the outcome of my first shave using a DE razor because of the burning sensation I got afterwards. Also my skin dried up and noticed it started peeling the next day almost like a sunburn. I had very few nicks and cuts since I was taking my time and appliying almost no pressure at all and making sure I didn't go over the same area more than once. So I decided not to give up on the whole DE shaving experience and gave it another shot a couple days later and ended up with the same results.
I am wondering what could be causing my skin to react this way. I am thinking one of two things. Either the Proraso shaving cream could be drying up my face and causing it to peel or my razor angle is too close and I'm shaving off the top layer of the skin along with my wiskers. If anyone has had a similar experience please advise and tell me what I can try differently to avoid the horrible burning sensation and the peeling. I am also thinking of purchasing Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender shaving soap and TOBS Mr. Taylor after shave balm to try. Please let me know if you have ever used these products and your thoughts.

Thank you in advance,

David

Welcome aboard, David.

I'm sorry to hear of your discomfort. I'll give this my best shot and I'm sure you'll have several replies to read shortly.

It sounds as you're going about this in a very thoughtful and conscientious way. I'd say the most likely culprit would be the angle of the razor. The 30° guideline is just that. The actual angle you use needs to be determined experimentally and conservatively, starting with an angle that does not put the blade in contact with your face (with the handle almost straight out at first) and angling it gradually downward until the cutting of the whiskers can be heard. If you haven't seen it before, this thread helps diagramatically show what you're trying to accomplish. Some people advise visually trying this out on your forearm to grasp the mechanics of it.

Assuming that the angle is not the problem (it took me a month or so to avoid angle and pressure problems, subconsciously) it may be possible that you have a sensitivity to a component of the shaving cream or other product that you're using.

If practical consider trying another product to see if you get the same problem. You can also test for sensitivity to skin contact products by putting a dab on the skin opposite your elbow (where your forearm and upper arm skin lap, when your arm is bent) for 24 hours. There should be no irritation or rash as a result.

Good luck and proceed as gently as possible.

- Chris

It's also possible that you have a defective or unusually agressive blade installed in your razor. You don't say where you live. If you are in the U.S., you should be able to pick up a 10 pack of Personna double edge blades in the shaving section of Walmart. These aren't amazing blades but they're generally found to be smooth and forgiving and may be a change for the better.

You are tightening the razor cap all the way down, right?

I am a also a newbie myself, only a couple of DE safety razor shaves so far, but between the Proraso and TOB Lavender shaving cream that I have I think the TOB shaving cream is definitely my favorite of the two. Would definitely recommend it.

Face peeling sounds like more of a product issue than a mechanical failure to me. Sounds almost like you might be having some type of reaction to the cream or the lotion? Maybe you could try some soap and leave out the lotion? Good luck!

I know that I am allergic to all the creams I have used, TOBS Luxury being the worst offender, it made my face and lips sting for ages afterwards. It also made my skin very dry and cracked around my cheek bones(I am very sensitive round those parts). Since using TOBS SC I have stuck to MWF and had no problems at all. Don't know if this will help but just a thought.

Thank you for the feedback gents! Any suggestions on what shaving soap/ cream I could try for sensitive skin. Also I looking into picking up some after shave balm.

Thanks,

David

I had a similar experience with my early shaves. I didn't test too many blades but had bad experiences with Merkur and Personnas (really bad for me). Derbys were a bit better.

What changed it for me was changing blades to feathers, washing with gentle face wash, using coral skin food right out of the shower, lathering with a warm brush and violet trumper's shave cream, learning the most efficient strokes to clear my beard (two passes + light buffing), then a good splash with Thayer's Aloe Witch Hazel followed by skin food. No stinging or burning. After the skin food dries, I will use a moisturizer (Neutrogena Healthy Skin VisablyEven SPF15).

I hope that helps. Stick with it :)

Top Bottom