What's new

I found my grandfathers Gillette

Hi

I'm a newbie to the world of DE shaving. Just a couple of weeks ago I knew nothing, but thanks to this marvelous place I'm feeling that I have started to learn a whole lot! Thanks!

I'm still waiting for my first DE order, it's in the mail and it is a Merkur HD. However, I suddenly one night remembered seing some kind of red box marked "Gillette" in my fathers house - and just as I tought it was my now late grandfathers razor.

My grandfather always had a lot of "cool" stuff - and I have to say, for some reason, i really like this one as well. It seems to be in perfect condition, maybe a minor cleaning/polishing job would make it shine even more. The case is also in nice shape.

I would be happy if you guys could help me with some info on this one. When was it made and likely purchased? Is it a good razor - could I/should I be using this one today? Other interesting facts about this razor?

I have to say that finding this razor really made me appreciate why people collect such things. Apart from the beauty of such a small thing it is something about all the stories connected to them. I would be very interested if someone could point me to a online resource for knowledge on collectable/vintage razors.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Kind regards
olavni

Hi Olavni, welcome to B&B. Wow! Forget about that Merkur. This looks like a gorgeous English Gillette Aristocrat. Clean it up a bit and use it with pride! It's a beautiful razor and way better than the Merkur. I think you'll love it.

could I/should I be using this one today? Other interesting facts about this razor?

Many of us have found the vintage Gillette's to outperform the Merkur razors by miles.

I had a Merkur 38C (the long handle HD) but once I discovered a vintage 40's style Superspeed (which is similar to your razor, you have a variation on a Superspeed, but your's is made in England), my Merkur sat un-used in my cabinet.

I eventually sold it, to a deserving newbie. So in a nutshell, you can, and should use this razor to shave with. :thumbup::thumbup1:

Make sure to thoroughly clean it, and sanitize it first of course. :cool: Scrubbing Bubbles, and a toothbrush are usually all that is needed to return these beauties to a shave ready status. :w00t::w00t:

Great find. I'm sure there's a lot of envy out there from us who never found such a nice razor in their grandfather's stuff. I think I found a bag of orange bic throwaways in my Dad's closet after he passed away. Enjoy!:001_smile

+1 I think that is a great, and pretty rare razor...I think the crown on the case indicates the corrination set...but someone will be by shortly to impart their knowledge.

Wow, that is awesome. It is a #58 Gillette. It is indeed a coronation set which makes it fairly rare. It was made in 1953, which is the only year for the coronation sets. (There were #58s made in other years and the only difference wast he crown on the case I believe.) I wouldn't be surprised to see that set in as good condition sell for close to $250

That looks like a beautiful #58 Coronation Set. I have a #58 and it is a great razor - your Merkur may get left on the shelf:001_tt1:

That is awesome that you found your grandpa's gillette! I always wish that I had something like that from a family member. Use it and enjoy it!

sweet. nothing will every shave as well as your grandfathers razor (and a 58 coronation makes it all the sweeter)

Wow! So I kind of hit the jackpot this time :) Thank you for all your kind replies.

It's strange to think about that my grandfather once purchased this one. I wonder what made him decide on this particular one in post war Norway more than 55 years ago. I will use it and cherish it for what it is. And now I know that it is a 58 coronation - I see some Internet surfing coming up.

And this was of course like putting gasoline on the fire when it comes to my growing interest in vintage razors :D

olavni

Congratulations on finding your grandfather's razor. I also shave with my grandfather's Gillette. I bought a Merkur shortly after I got it, thinking that it that a "modern" razor would be much better, but I switched back to my grandfather's fairly quickly.

That is a wonderful piece of history to have from your family. You are very fortunate! Take care of it - it will last you the rest of your life even if you use it every day! You can pass it down for a generation or two yet!

Congrats

Welcome olavni and congrats on that nice razor/shaver.
Give it some soap to clean and it will shine great. These razor have a very nice plating.

Welcome olavni and congrats on that nice razor/shaver.
Give it some soap to clean and it will shine great. These razor have a very nice plating.

Thanks!

That one was a beauty!

I'm getting a bit puzzled though because the handle and the "base" on mine (the finish/material of those) does not look anything like that - and i don't think it can be brought to such a hi gloss finish. I have a feeling that the handle and the "base" (sorry for the lack of correct terminology) actually is aluminium and at the same time I have also read that the #58 coronation is not supposed to be aluminium. The "wings" and the "ridge" between them are of a different material and are really shiny and look like chrome or somehting - just like on your picture.

If of any help it weighs in at 32g or 1.13 ounces.

olavni

Thanks!

That one was a beauty!

I'm getting a bit puzzled though because the handle and the "base" on mine (the finish/material of those) does not look anything like that - and i don't think it can be brought to such a hi gloss finish. I have a feeling that the handle and the "base" (sorry for the lack of correct terminology) actually is aluminium and at the same time I have also read that the #58 coronation is not supposed to be aluminium. The "wings" and the "ridge" between them are of a different material and are really shiny and look like chrome or somehting - just like on your picture.

If of any help it weighs in at 32g or 1.13 ounces.

olavni

Then it is aluminum for the brass one weighs about 72gr

Top Bottom