What's new

What Do You Think of this Beginner's Set?

Strikes me as fairly high cost (you are paying for the chrome stand, and the inclusion of Trumpers).

A more budget minded alternative could be found with this set @ $68.98 (scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://www.shavingessentials.net/razors.html

proxy.php

Add a tub of TOBS, or the TOBS sampler for $20.00, and you will still come in at more than $50.00 less than the cost of the other set:

http://www.shavingessentials.net/shaving_creams.html

Last edited:
Good advise above...I am really into nostalgia I guess. I would recommend a SS off the B/S/T, and a nice Boar, cream, and a blade sampler all from WCS. Good luck!

Pretty set! And fair value, given the individual component prices.
It is a luxury set, IMHO.

As an alternative you can also start cheaper and maybe try more: there is another recent thread discussing this. You would then buy a good (Merkur. Gillette, Muhle) razor, a Semogue or Omega brush, a blade sampler and some crams or soaps.

Lots of advice and pricing info on this forum.

... or, you could wander on over to www.bullgooseshaving.net and buy:

Merkur 34C @ $30
Derby 5-pack @ $1.50
Proraso Shaving Cream @ $9

Bullgoose is one of my favorite vendors, so let's complete the kit for him:

-Merkur 34C @30
-Proraso Shaving Cream @ 9
-Vulfix Pure Badger Brush @ 18.75
-Bullgoose Thrifty Blade Sampler @ 5.95

Total: $63.70

A very reasonable amount of money, to get your feet wet in this great "hobby" of ours. :cool::001_tongu

Stands are a pretty nice addition, and you can add a nice one to the order for a mere $7.50

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/brstsbrsira.html

Thats a bit pricey. I ordered a Merkur 34C (HD), and blade sampler with various blades from www.westcoastshaving.com. The shipping was very reasonable price wise and quick. Drop by walmart or walgreens and pickup the VDH brush/bowl/soap combo for 7-10 bux.

Total invested roughly 60 bux including shipping est

Drop by walmart or walgreens and pickup the VDH brush/bowl/soap combo for 7-10 bux.

Total invested roughly 60 bux including shipping est

I was at Walgreen's today down the street and I did see pucks of VDH soap 2-for-$4, and I saw pucks of Williams soap at the supermarket right around the corner for $1.29, but I have yet to see a small store/supermarket-sold brush/bowl/soap combo.

I did end up finding some Witch Hazel the other day at Target and just slapped some on after my DFS with the Fusion I just had and the stuff is nice. Smells horrid, but it's nice. Though I don't see how it's different from just slapping on a little squirt of lotion like I normally do.

I did end up finding some Witch Hazel the other day at Target and just slapped some on after my DFS with the Fusion I just had and the stuff is nice. Smells horrid, but it's nice. Though I don't see how it's different from just slapping on a little squirt of lotion like I normally do.

Grab some glycerine and and rose water, both a cheap and mix with your witch hazel and do this:

I used 1 and 3/4 cups of Rosewater, 1/4 cup of Witch Hazel and about 1/8 cup of Glycerine. Then i added the Menthol Crystals (crushed in a mortar) I then placed the bottle in a jug full of hot water from the tap to dissolve the menthol. Shaking it regularly. I then mixed in a tiny amount of Guar Gum to thicken things up a little. Lastly i split the batch into 3 smaller bottles and added a couple of drops of Lime, Rose and Orange Essential oil to respective bottles.

The liquid ingredients cost me about £6.00 UK Sterling and the Guar Gum plus Menthol Crystals about £4.00. I still have lots of Glycerine, Witch Hazel, and the dry ingredients for more experimentation.

I find it feels just like the Trumpers on my skin, ok it doesnt have the wonderfully appealing color of Trumpers but its all ive used lately and i like it

Top Bottom