What's new

When to clean my shaving Brush

I clean my brush with shampoo every 2 or 3 weeks or so when I notice that it isn't holding water like it should. For example, when you put your brush in water to soak, and the bristles float, it is time to clean it.

Last edited:
I shampoo it whenever it starts to smell like the last soap or cream I just used. This works out to about once every two weeks.

When to clean your brush will depend a lot on how hard your water is and how well you clean your brush after each shave. I find that monthly cleaning (with a mild borax solution) works best for me while rinsing until the water runs clear works well for day-to-day usage.

I go about 6 months between cleaning ... I probably should do it more often, but it doesn't seem to have any ill effect.

One exception: when I upgrade to a new brush, I will bathe the old one prior to putting it in storage. So far, this has only happened once, when I went from using the perfectly adequate C&E BBB to the perfectly awesome B&B Essential.

I do pay more attention to cleaning it after ever use. I rinse out all the lather with tap water from the bathroom sink, then I use filtered water (that I use to make the lather with in the first place,) as the final rinse. Drain it, squeeze it, shake it, rub it on a clean terry towel, fluff it up, then stand it on the handle until next time.

about once a year, all my brushes get a wash...

a good swish around in some diluted vinegar to get rid of any soap scum tucked in the bottom of the knot, followed by a good lather up of some shampoo, and a rinse.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
If you properly wash your brush out after every use in warm water, it should not need a cleaning, you are using a soap (or cream, which pretty much a soft soap) anyway with your brush, so washing these residues out should do the trick. I also sniff my dry brushes, and they all smell good, only a very faint scent is noticeable, and this smells good. Whenever I use a brush, I soak it before in water and change the water at least twice. Dry your brush hair down, so hard water would not collect in the lower part of the brush knot when stored with hair up.

When to clean your brush will depend a lot on how hard your water is and how well you clean your brush after each shave.

+1 My current rotation is a dozen brushes so I don't feel I need to clean them as often as say a person using only one brush.

I clean a brush that I use almost every day about every 2 months. I use a Barbicide dip for about 3 minutes on a dry brush then do the shampoo thing. I have soft water so I don't get a lot of buildup on my brushes plus I rinse it very well after using them.

Take Care,
Richard

I have a rotation of 4 brushes, and I usually shave at the most every other day. So I've never had a problem with a dirty brush. After I'm done with my shave I really rinse the brush out good. First with hot water, then cold water, a good shake and a dry on a towel. Then a final shake to fluff it out and I hang it on a brush rack. I've never had a problem following this ritual. :001_rolle :biggrin: :tongue: :lol:

If mixed to the proper strength Barbicide won't hurt it, and you don't leave it in to long. Borax is one caustic solution in itself. I have not had any problems in the almost 2 years I have been into this. I do know one thing, if something funky starts on your face you will have to quit shaving for a week or so till it clears up. I think I have come close once and it was a pain in the rear.

Take Care,
Richard

Top Bottom