What's new

What is the Best Safety Razor to Start With?

As a point of clarification, the 34C is what is typically referred to as an HD. The 38C is the long handled version of it, often called a "barber pole".

- Chris

To start with? Mmm, you will get a lot of different answers.

I would recommend one of the following:

-Gillette Tech
-Gillette Superspeed
-Merkur HD
-Merkur Classic or 1904

Luc pretty much hit them. I'd a a Gillette New if you can find one.

Merkur HD. I started with a light weight razor made in India. The HD makes all the difference. It's not too aggressive and works well with many different blades. Some of the member on B&B might even be willing to lend you a DE razor to try out if you ask nicely.

My first razor was a Merkur 33C. I thinks its also called the Merkur Classic. I thought it was a great starter razor for me and I still continue to use it.

Lots of good suggestions for you here.

I started with a year ago with an HD but most often I now use an old Gillette Tech or Superspeed. Both efficient but forgiving shavers. From ebay I got 2 Techs and a contemporary Chinese copy called a Flying Eagle for all of £12. If I'd got these first, I wouldn't have bothered getting the HD which was more than twice that (still nice though). I probably would have had less painful first shave with a Tech too.

I still have my original twin blade Atra razor from my first year shaving. I've had it for 5 years and I can buy a 10 pack of blades for $5. For me, each blade lasts a week, so it's a great deal.The next time I seriously consider electric, I will go with a higher priced Braun. It's probably nice to have the convenience of a razor when travelling or in a hurry.

The Merkur 34 is a very nimble well balanced razor I like it a lot and am happy to recommend it. Some people might be tempted to think it's handle is short but it is perfectly balanced and a longer handle isn't necessarily a good thing.

I'd go for either a Mekur HD or, if vintage suits you, a Gillette Super Speed.

I would also prefer a fixed angle as opposed to an adjustable simply because it'll be hard enough surviving the first couple of shaves without the added complexity of an adjustable.

Top Bottom