What's new

New Member Chekin in w/ Pics & a Question

WOW!! I cannot believe that there is a site out there like this...and that I just now found it!!! It's great to see so many of us out there.

I have a technique question it looks like you guys can help me with. But first a little background.

I have always been a wet shaver I guess. When I first started shaving around 15 or 16 (I am in my 30s now) I worked in a department store that had a perfume counter. One day they got a shaving brush and mug in from ralph lauren to sell with their safari fragrance. I immediately bought it (with my discount of course) and that was what I used for 10 years, along with a mach 3 razor.

View attachment 3529

In 2002 I decided to upgrade the tools and bought a Simpson Chubby 3 in super and a Merkur hd safety razor. For the last 4 years I never looked back.

View attachment 3530

So My question now is.... When I shave I have no problem getting the closeness I want on my cheeks and neck. I can even get it with only one pass usually. But my chin I have to really work at. Eventually it cuts but it seems like it takes 4 or more passes and a whole lot of pulling and stretching to get it. Is this normal? Should I be looking at a different razor? If so can anyone make some recomendations to me?

Thanks in advance for your replys and I am really enjoying this site.

Welcome to B&B! Well what kind of blade / shaving cream (soap) are you using? Maybe trying a different blade and/or pre methid would help?! That steel mug is lovely! Can one get his hands on something like that in these days? (if yes where from?)

Welcome to B&B! Well what kind of blade / shaving cream (soap) are you using? Maybe trying a different blade and/or pre methid would help?! That steel mug is lovely! Can one get his hands on something like that in these days? (if yes where from?)

I just use the Merkur blades. To be honest I didn't even know there were others out there until I got on this site. I use trumpers shaving soap (current fragrance is coconut oil). I saw some posts talking about slant and adjustable razors and I wonder if those are any better at cutting around the chin.

I don't know if you can find the mugs anymore. It was put out by Ralph Lauren for their safari fragrance. They use to have safari shaving soap that I would buy and it was great but I haven't been able to find it for about 12 years now.

Welcome! Perfectly normal about your chin. The whiskers on your chin are some of the thickest and most difficult to shave. I find that when I lather my face, I lather my chin and moustache area first and then lather the rest of my face. Also when I atually shave, I always save the upper lip and chin area for last. The extra time exposed to the shave cream really seems to help "soften" the whiskers in this area. Try that--it may work for you. If not, I'll try to think of something else, but it really is normal to have to make multiple passes in that area.

The extra time exposed to the shave cream really seems to help "soften" the whiskers in this area.

I'll second on that. Also make sure you have your prep right: hot shower, pre shave oil and enough time for the lather to soften your whiskers. Also experiment with different blades. How often do you change a blade?

I'll second on that. Also make sure you have your prep right: hot shower, pre shave oil and enough time for the lather to soften your whiskers. Also experiment with different blades. How often do you change a blade?

Changing the blade is a great question and is actually the reason I found this site. I guess I change blades about every two weeks. Is this too often...not often enough? My chin issue happens with a new blade as well though.

Changing the blade is a great question and is actually the reason I found this site. I guess I change blades about every two weeks. Is this too often...not often enough? My chin issue happens with a new blade as well though.

Make sure you change your blade after every 3rd shave (for Merkurs). If you use them longer than that the blade gets dull and instead of cutting it pulls the whiskers and does not its job properly. You should try Scotto's sampler pack to find out what works for you!

I change blades typically every 5 shaves. This seems to be a pretty normal amount of shaves per blade.

Welcome! Perfectly normal about your chin. The whiskers on your chin are some of the thickest and most difficult to shave. I find that when I lather my face, I lather my chin and moustache area first and then lather the rest of my face. Also when I atually shave, I always save the upper lip and chin area for last. The extra time exposed to the shave cream really seems to help "soften" the whiskers in this area. Try that--it may work for you. If not, I'll try to think of something else, but it really is normal to have to make multiple passes in that area.

This is good to know. I will make sure that I allow ample time for softening.

Make sure you change your blade after every 3rd shave (for Merkurs). If you use them longer than that the blade gets dull and instead of cutting it pulls the whiskers and does not its job properly. You should try Scotto's sampler pack to find out what works for you!

WOW!! every 3 shaves. This is funny but the whole reason I switched to a DE was because I was to cheap to pay what they wanted for the mach 3 blades. Guess I better be ready to start shelling out more $$$ for the blades.:smile:

WOW!! every 3 shaves. This is funny but the whole reason I switched to a DE was because I was to cheap to pay what they wanted for the mach 3 blades. Guess I better be ready to start shelling out more $$$ for the blades.:smile:

Well you'll be lucky you did switch! You'll notice the improvement of your skin and all other effects (including the raise in self esteem etc...). It ain't that expensive.

I guss if I'm willing to spend Hundreds on a shaving brush I can spend pennies more on some extra blades.

I guss if I'm willing to spend Hundreds on a shaving brush I can spend pennies more on some extra blades.

and creams and soaps and more razors and more blades and more soaps and alums and colognes and aftershaves and more creams etc ... :biggrin:

Welcome!:biggrin:

Murkur blades are not my first choice and you will be selling your self short if you do not try other blades. Our own LetterK (John) Makes up samplers of several blades,you owe it to yourself to check it out-

Glad to have you on board!

+1. The razor, brush and soap are all fine. Try John's blade sampler pack - I think you will be really amazed. You can get Derby and Israelis for pretty cheap on eBay (about 10 cents/blade). Feathers are usually about $25 plus shipping for 100. I hope you don't like the Euro Gillettes too much though, because we haven't figured out a bulk purchase on those yet. :biggrin:

Dennis

Bridger,

Welcome to the site. The pics are awesome. Love that mug as well. Sounds like you have alot of very valuable feedback.

Jeff
:clap:

Top Bottom