What's new

Need Some Info

I am looking at buying a Dovo Special. I am green at straight shaving so I need some help deciding between the 5/8 or 6/8. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Between the two options you have given me to choose from, I recommend the 5/8. It is easier to maneuver around your face. Other than that, doesn't really matter.

But if your open to other suggestions, I highly recommend the classifieds here for a razor. Much better value and bang for your buck. Plus, most older razors are better than the stuff Dovo is producing these days. I personally would not buy a new one, but I'm really really picky. Same goes for TI.

edit: That said, they do hone up nicely.

Thanks Leighton, I really do value the information. I did buy a razor here and then managed to screw it up while stropping. Long story short the razor has a chip out of it. Thankfully the scales, which were/are beautiful are ok and I can have someone use them on a restore. I also don't really know what to look for in the classifieds.

Would it be making a mistake, shave wise, buying a Dovo or TI or is it that I don't get the looks with the shave?

I can probably fix that chip for you. PM me if interested & include pics.

The thing that differentiates most of the older razors from the new ones is quality. Steel today is superior to that of yesteryear. However, selling razors is not exactly very high on the demand meter. Long story short, IME the Dovo's take an edge very easily, but tend to not keep it as long. This is compared to straights such as vintage Dovos, DD, W&B, FR, most Sheffield makers, and other famous brands.

Its not a mistake going either way. Its just personal preference really.

i'd take the 6/8, but 5/8 will work too.
the difference is $5 or so and my favorite size is 6/8, so it's an easy pick for me.

I also don't really know what to look for in the classifieds.
you can do searches on the stuff you see in the classifieds and see if others have posted about these razors. or you can ask the seller.
if you don't have it you'll have to rely on the experience of somebody else. so you really have to find people you trust, but that may turn out to be challenging. many 'experts' are pretty clueless and many of the really knowledgeable guys post fairly infrequently.

Would it be making a mistake, shave wise, buying a Dovo or TI or is it that I don't get the looks with the shave?
mistake is an interesting word in this context. you'll get pretty good razors that will shave well. imho you can do better but you can do worse too.

you might want to refrain from getting spike point , those need a little bit more caution when using due to the tip not being round. I started with 5/8 and I am completely sattisfied with it, it takes practice to learn the straight razor.

6/8 and you proved the reason why already...

A slightly wider blade is easier to keep flat when stropping/honing for Newbs

I have always recommended the same first razor for every one

Size 6/8 = see above, and it is the center size, then you can decide which direction you might want to go next

Grind 1/2 hollow = again dead center you can decide whether more hollow or less hollow on the next razor

Round point = Perceived as being safer maybe they actually are...

i'd take the 6/8, but 5/8 will work too.
the difference is $5 or so and my favorite size is 6/8, so it's an easy pick for me.

+1 on the 6/8. No matter what you end up preferring, you will probably continue using a 6/8. If your taste runs to the bigger blades, a 6/8 will likely serve you well while a 5/8 might be too small.

A good razor is one that gives you a comfortable shave.

I have some good shavers that are as ugly as sin but the metal holds a superb edge.

Unfortuneately, throwing money at razors does not guarantee a comfortable shave.

The one thing I have learnt is that you are more likely to get shaving satisfaction from a vintage razor because they have a quality steel that can be sharpened as smooth as silk.

If I were you, I would send a pm to either Leighton or GsSixgun both of whom sell razors of the type I have described. They are better than modern DOVO's for shaving with and they areusually a lot cheaper and a much better thing to learn with just in case you drop them during the learning process.

The qustion of size dosn't really matter all that much, IMHO.

Top Bottom