What's new

Sending Packages Overseas

I've learned my lesson, twice now. Always ALWAYS send packages overseas via Priority International which includes insurance and tracking information.
Anytime I decide to part with something on Ebay I always try to save the buyer money by offering them the most affordable shipping... unfortunately this only ends up costing me in the end.
Blah blah blah. :frown:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've learned my lesson, twice now. Always ALWAYS send packages overseas via Priority International which includes insurance and tracking information.
Anytime I decide to part with something on Ebay I always try to save the buyer money by offering them the most affordable shipping... unfortunately this only ends up costing me in the end.

I think your in a "for profit" business when selling on the bay. You have to protect yourself from loss, those prices have to include the cost of shipping, whatever that has to be. If people don't like it, they don't have to buy it.

Some guys here have talked about using insurance and tracking even when selling in the BST, so I don't see how anyone could have a beef with you doing it on the bay.

I won't buy from anyone "overseas" on Eeeeebay UNLESS they offer shipping insurance, never had to use it or make a claim yet but it provides the safety net I want if I'm spending my hard earned.... YMMV

As a postal employee I can tell you this much. First Class international is by far the cheapest way to mail something internationally. Like you stated however, you cannot insure it. You do have two options though.

1. Each international parcel regardless of how you ship, has its own unique customs form number. It's on that little customs form you fill out and, more importantly, on your register receipt you get at the post office. You can go to the postal service website, punch in this number and it will show you when it left the U.S.. But that's all it shows, at that point it's out of our hands. However, it does prove you mailed it and there's a slight chance the person on the other end can track it through their postal service's website. (Some countries are better than others)

2.You can also send it First Class international and Register it. This gains you around $43 worth of insurance (don't ask me where they came up with that amount) it has it's own barcode which often times is enough to scare off a customs agent or foreign mail carrier who is thinking about pilferage, and requires a signature on the other end. Most countries allow this type of mail but there's a few that don't, your postal clerk will let you know right away. This way is far more economic than Priority Mail which costs a fortune especially if you're mailing small items since First Class has a maximum 4 lb. limit.

Kind of long winded but hopefully helpful.

This info is really helpful and insightful too. Thanks for taking the time to reply.. much much appreciated!

Top Bottom