What's new

John Hughes 1950-2009

Well this is sad news.

He caught my attention early on in National Lampoon* with some hilarious (and some extremely raunchy) stories. I remember in particular enjoying a long, amazingly funny story called Vacation '58 which ended up being made into the movie Vacation, and the script was so good that even Chevy Chase couldn't ruin the movie.

*(Off topic: Why can't we have an equivalent of NatLamp today? What happened to all the good magazines?)

He was responsible for some really great movies in the 80's. Off the top of my head.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Breakfast Club
Vacation
The Great Outdoors
Uncle Buck
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Wow. He was fairly young. What was the cause of death?
From what I heard, he was taking a walk, had a heart attack, and died. John Hughes is someone whose movies framed much of my youth and I have fond memories of his work. Rest in peace.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
From what I heard, he was taking a walk, had a heart attack, and died. John Hughes is someone whose movies framed much of my youth and I have fond memories of his work. Rest in peace.

+1

Heard the same thing. I think he was in NYC.

I'm feeling really old all of a sudden with another touch point to my youth gone. John Hughes nailed it on the head on what it was like to grow up a teenager in 1980s suburban North America complete with a good soundtrack. Along with Fast Times at Ridgemount High, Hughes teen movies: Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller's Day Off spoke to a generation of kids.

He was great at what he did; had a real gift for connecting with young people. Many of his films were very instrumental in me becoming a big fan of cinema in general. RIP Mr. Hughes, and thanks.

Top Bottom