What's new

Frustrated Newbie from Canada

I was reading a thread on www.head-fi.org in the Members' Lounge (General Discussion) on DE wet shaving and there was a link to B & B. They were raving about DE shaving and all its benefits. I browsed many of the threads here and decided to give it a shot.

I have AGAD (Audio Gear Acquisition Disorder) big time, so this won't be a good thing for my wallet. Although shaving gear is MUCH cheaper than audio gear!

I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and picked up Proraso shave cream and pre/post shave cream and ordered received a Merkur 1094, Personna blades and Clubman Pinaud from Fendrihan. I already had a shaving brush from years ago...

Well I've shaved about 4 or 5 times using the DE razor (3 - 4 passes) and I just can't get a close shave at all. Each time I've had to finish up with a disposable razor! :eek:

I've watched the Mantic59 youtube videos a bunch of times and I know about blade angle, keeping my wrist straight, short strokes, etc...I haven't nicked myself yet...I try to apply very little pressure & let the razor do the work. I can hear my whiskers being cut and each pass reduces them, but after 3-4 passes it looks like when I shave with my electric razor, which isn't good.

I've tried shaving at the sink after getting my whiskers nice & soft and also in the bath tub...

I bought a Gillette Fatboy off that auction site (I compared the pics to the genuine Fat Boy pics here). I haven't rec'd it yet, but I'm wondering if it will shave any closer...

Any suggestions?

Great site by the way! :001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

You have a good setup to start with. I wouldn't worry too much right now. You won't get a close shave as you need to get use to it and develop your technique. It will come with time. It sounds like you're on the right track. Your shaves will become closer and close.

For the fatboy, it will be different. The fatboy is adjustable to will be able to change the blade exposure to make the razor mild or aggressive. I would recommend a low setting when you will first use it.

Try not applying any pressure, the blade/weight of the razor should do the work.

If you're not experiencing any irritation to speak of and you haven't tried an ATG pass yet, this might be the time to experiment with that, carefully.

I know that there are areas of my face that will get nowhere near close without an ATG pass.

If, on the other hand, you're coping with razor burn, it's possible that you need to ease off the angle of the razor head a little (angle the handle farther from your face). It's possible to hear the whiskers yet be scraping past them if the blade is at too big an angle to the skin.

- Chris

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you think you are doing things with the proper technique, and you are going slowly, it may be that the blades you are using are just not for you.
Every single person on this forum will tell you that XXX blade is the best, and everyone has a different opinion.
Order a Blade Sampler pack from one of the fine Vendors here and try some different blades.
Though I am partial to the Gillettes, the Merkur should work fine for you.
If your intent on trying the new razor, I'd suggest you try it with the blades you already have, rather than changing blades AND razors.
A little experimentaion can reveal which set up is good for you.
It takes some time to get a close shave with a DE. Though you may think that you are doing everything right, the best of the best will tell you that even they pick up pointers every now and then.
Be patient, keep trying, and best of luck.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Could you be a bit more descriptive of what is not working? Is it just certain areas on your face that you need to switch to the disposable to finish off? Are you getting any irritation? How does it sound while you shave. . . . er like scraping toast . . . what I'm getting as is that most of us make the mistake of getting the blade too perpendicular to our face and cause irritation . . . perhaps you are actually doing the opposite and getting the blade so parallel that you are not cutting your beard.

Practice makes perfect. Good Luck.

Could you be a bit more descriptive of what is not working? Is it just certain areas on your face that you need to switch to the disposable to finish off? Are you getting any irritation? How does it sound while you shave. . . . er like scraping toast . . . what I'm getting as is that most of us make the mistake of getting the blade too perpendicular to our face and cause irritation . . . perhaps you are actually doing the opposite and getting the blade so parallel that you are not cutting your beard.

Practice makes perfect. Good Luck.

Hi to a fellow Canuck!

Basically, I'm left with short whiskers all over, it's not just certain areas. I'm getting very mild irritation, just on my neck on either side. I've always been prone to razor burn on my neck.

Yeah it sort of sounds like scraping toast...

I'm trying to hold the razor at 30 degrees but obviously I must be doing something wrong. Tomorrow I need to experiment with different angles and also different directions i.e., ATG..

Hi to a fellow Canuck!

Basically, I'm left with short whiskers all over, it's not just certain areas. I'm getting very mild irritation, just on my neck on either side. I've always been prone to razor burn on my neck.

Yeah it sort of sounds like scraping toast...

I'm trying to hold the razor at 30 degrees but obviously I must be doing something wrong. Tomorrow I need to experiment with different angles and also different directions i.e., ATG..

You are on the right track friend. Especially my first few times, I was sure I was shaving with a correct angle. Nope, not at all. I know the loud scraping sound of which you speak. When I finally found my proper angle, the sound becalmed.

Its going to take some time and practice. Using a DE is way different then one of the idiot proof Sensor type multiblades.

Your using a good cream and razor. and having a good brush will help lots. Prorasso is a easy cream to get lots of lather out of, so be sure to use plenty on your face. Also make sure you massage your face with the lather and brush, (i go up to 2 mins) as this helps lift the hair, and get the lather close to the skin to reduce irritation and help make for a close shave.

Personally you just have to go with the flow, Dont concentrate on the 30* thing, youll know when its right.

I do a with the grain and follow with a 45* across the grain pass and get good shaves. with very little irritation (my neck is very sensitive).

I think you should try another brand of blades, Try to get a sample pack that includes "Feathers" . Alot like myself, swear by them while others swear at them :biggrin: but theyre a very good blade.

Last edited:
I know the feeling well I have been wet shaving for years but when i switched to a DE it seemed i was back in pre school it took me quite some time to figure it out...The razor burn will ease up after you find the blades and the touch along with the angle... trust me i know the feeling of WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE.....:biggrin:

Welcome fellow Canadian!! There are some good suggestions above. I cannot get a close shave unless I do an against the grain pass.

Keep trying and don't give up, it will work!

Give it time eh ;)
it will all become clear the more you practice.

I however chopped myself to bits today trying a triumphant ATG on my 3 days growth neck....ugh. Styptic pencil and AOS afterbalm worked wonders and i look like i actually had a good shave ;)

Good to see other Canadians on here!

You mention that you've been sure not to apply too much pressure - are you applying any pressure at all?

While you need to let the blade to the work, you also need it firmly against your skin. You might be overcorrecting, maybe?

Good to see other Canadians on here!

You mention that you've been sure not to apply too much pressure - are you applying any pressure at all?

While you need to let the blade to the work, you also need it firmly against your skin. You might be overcorrecting, maybe?

I do apply some pressure, but just enough to make sure that the razor is in firm contact with my skin....

I tried various blade angles this morning & also shaving down, across & up, but ended up with the same crappy shave :frown:

I'll keep at it, but it is frustrating!

Thanks for all the suggestions & greetings...I'll order a sampler pack of blades...

Hey fellow canuck! Shoot me a pm with your address i'll send you a few of my favorites, which i hope will help out.

Otherwise, honestly, you don't need pressure, just hold the razor at an angle, and let its mass keep it in contact with your face, keep your wrist stationary, and slide it in the motion you desire.. The 'dart hold' works best for me.

Good luck Canuck

And thanks everyone for these detailed tips. Six months after discarding my Sensor, I'm still not getting close shaves but I'm trying. Who knew there were so many variables, especially compared to mainstream shaving.

I'm not so sure about the straight wrist thing, shaving with a multi blade cartridge type razor is easier because the cartridge automatically changes angle a bit over the contours of the face. With a straight razor or a double edge, like yours, you have to allow some movement in the wrist to compensate for keeping the right angle over the contours of your face. It just takes a little time but try without the blade to feel your way around your face allowing the wrist to bend as you change contour. It's a lot like painting a canvas with a brush, small strokes with a fluid motion, don't keep the wrist locked up tight, good luck, bc

I'm not so sure about the straight wrist thing, shaving with a multi blade cartridge type razor is easier because the cartridge automatically changes angle a bit over the contours of the face. With a straight razor or a double edge, like yours, you have to allow some movement in the wrist to compensate for keeping the right angle over the contours of your face. It just takes a little time but try without the blade to feel your way around your face allowing the wrist to bend as you change contour. It's a lot like painting a canvas with a brush, small strokes with a fluid motion, don't keep the wrist locked up tight, good luck, bc

Most any painter will tell you to paint with your arm, not with your wrist.

I didn't mean keep it rigid, but you want to have it stiff enough to keep the angle constant, and stroke with your whole arm. This ensures the razor stays at the appropriate angle and pressure. One of mantics videos outlines the reasoning behind this as well.

This applies for basic strokes, if you're blade buffing and j-hooking, then obviously your hair is a bird, and my argument is invalid.

Top Bottom