What's new

Build Me The Perfect "Safety Razor" Newbie Starter Kit

Ok, so after seeing the great advice in the thread I started asking about the basics of shaving with a safety razor, I was wondering if you guys could build me a very ideal, soild and affordable "safety razor" starter kit for this (points to himself) newbie.

So, that's 'affordable' and not 'cheap'?

In that case, as you ask for 'very ideal' and 'solid', I would advise not too cheap and not too overly expensive.
But remember we don't know your budget so opinions will vary on this!

You'd probably end up with something like:
- The Merkur HD or the Muhle R106
- A Vulfix #2234 shaving brush
- A good classic shaving soap like Trumpers or Mama Bear's soap
- A decent after shave balm

I think such a kit would avoid choices too adventurous, is reliable and long lasting.

And again: YMMV

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
VDH Soap - $1.50
Walmart bowl - $1.00
Tweezerman Badger Brush - $12.00
Gillette Tech or Superspeed from BST - $10.00 to $25.00
Ivy Club Spice Aftershave - $1.60
Walmart Personna DE Blades - $1.86 for 10
Total outlay - $27.96 to $42.96

Gillette Tech from the BST ($5-$15)
VDH Premium Shave Set ($9.99 + Tax at the Rite-Aid near me in Seattle, has Soap, a bowl, and a Boar hair brush.)
Thayers Witchhazel (3 bucks?)
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm
Kiss My Face shaving cream in any scent you like as an alternative to the soap or for making a "superlather".

-Gillette Tech from the B/S/T $5-15
-VDH Kit from Walmart (or Rite Aid) (bowl, brush, soap) $10
-Aqua Velva Ice Blue Aftershave $5-6
-Blade sampler pack from Bullgoose Shaving. $5.95
-The Real Shaving Company shaving cream from Rite-Aid $5

Total initial outlay: about $35.00. :tongue_sm

Note: complete newbie kits often show up in the b/s/t starting for as little as $15.00, these typically include razor, blades, brush, and shaving cream/ shaving soap.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't bother with all the fancy gadgets. I've been getting decent shaves for years with my super adjustable with nothing but wal-mart blades and a thin layer of barbasol applied by hand because I'm a neanderthal.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I honestly wouldn't bother with all the fancy gadgets. I've been getting decent shaves for years with my super adjustable with nothing but wal-mart blades and a thin layer of barbasol applied by hand because I'm a neanderthal.

I think wetshaving implies using something other than canned goo.

R

rainman

Cavemen are people too.

Attachments

• $geico_caveman.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 401
I would direct you to the badger & blade FAQ.
http://badgerandblade.com/index.php?page=faq#1.0
There is no mention of what manner of lubricant. I could blot my face with 10w-30 motor oil and still be wetshaving. In fact, now that I think about it, sometime in the future I intend to do just that, and report back about the experience.

That might be the case, but if people come here looking for the "traditional wet shaving experience" that certainly doesn't include the use of canned cream/ gel. They are expecting to be recommended products that require the use of a shaving brush.

Can you get "passable results" with canned cream/ gel? Probably, but it certainly will not be as luxurious as using a shaving cream, or a shaving soap with a brush.

It's the total experience that is most important, and that dictates using better quality products, and those products are not found in a can. :biggrin:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would direct you to the badger & blade FAQ.
http://badgerandblade.com/index.php?page=faq#1.0
There is no mention of what manner of lubricant. I could blot my face with 10w-30 motor oil and still be wetshaving. In fact, now that I think about it, sometime in the future I intend to do just that, and report back about the experience.

You do that. I encourage you.
Also re-read the the thread you linked, all of it, not just that small part about lubricant.
Section 2.2 about brushes needed to apply the soap or creme and section 2.3 about the soaps or creams and how to prepare them to be applied to the face.

So, once again, wetshaving implies the use of something other than canned goo.

I would also be smelling a darn sight manlier that way, than if I were applying some lilac and lavender cremes. :a30:

:wink:

The idea that lilac, lavender, and rose creams are somehow not manly is a creation of our anti-gay, anti-homosexual culture.

A true man who is secure in his sexuality, would not limit his experiences by buying into such foolishness perpetuated by our culture.

A gentleman of the 1920's would of had no qualms about using a Rose scented cream. :tongue_sm

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
How about section 3.3?

Are you so new to this that you don't really get the concept, or are you just venting because you got beat up in another forum over some ebay issues?
Face lathering means using the brush to lather on the face, bowl lathering means using the brush to build lather in a bowl, hand lathering means using the brush to lather in the hand. See section 3.1
While many people do in fact use a cream from a tube or tub and apply it directly to the face, that is generally considered a stop gap measure and is used in a pinch when travelling or such. All of these methods are still using a quality product, which is not considered to be that which can be gotten from a can.

Wetshaving implies the use of something other than canned goo.

Last edited:
Well, I would disagree about that. I think it has more to do with women, and how they prefer men to smell like men, and when they say otherwise, they're lying. :lol:

Top Bottom