What's new

New Short Comb v.s. Long Comb (Sharks in the water!)

I started a comparison today of the New short v.s. long combs. Using a new Shark blade in each, I began today with the long comb. Fabulous, close and smooth, not a nick or a weeper. Looking forward to the short comb match up tomorrow. I will go for as long as the blades hold up, alternating each day, to come up with a determination as to which comb length is preferable. Cheers. Darjeeling.

I have a short comb that I love.

And, there's a long comb cheap on th'Bay right now, with about five minutes to go.

Arrrggghhhh shouldn't get into this....

The short comb was outstanding this morning. I can't really say there was a discernible difference in comfort of shave. SAS shave both days. ("Smooth As Silk"). Not a nick or a weeper in sight. The Shark/New combo seem to be very well suited for each other.

good to know. i have two NEW heads, both Long England. will look out for a short NEW comb.

BTW, the NEW Deluxe....does it qualify as a Long tooth or short tooth? I am guessing short.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good thread Joe! I am guessing that a short teeth will be more aggressive but I will wait for your results. Personnally, I prefer short.

Luc, I've read conversely that the long toothed NEW is the more aggressive.

FWIW, I compared my NEW Deluxe with the NEW heads I have.....NEW Deluxe is short comb. In addition to above, I also find the long teeth provide more aggression.

New Improved = short comb with thick/wide teeth
NEW Deluxe = short comb
NEW heads = long teeth - each tooth same width as NEW Deluxe.

One odd thing to me about the short comb, is I get as good a shave with an IP blade as with a Feather.

Today I used a Shark (thanks Melyus) with a short comb (NEW Deluxe) - Great shave! I will try in a long comb next shave.

You might as well have a partner in 'crime' :wink:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Luc, I've read conversely that the long toothed NEW is the more aggressive.

FWIW, I compared my NEW Deluxe with the NEW heads I have.....NEW Deluxe is short comb. In addition to above, I also find the long teeth provide more aggression.

New Improved = short comb with thick/wide teeth
NEW Deluxe = short comb
NEW heads = long teeth - each tooth same width as NEW Deluxe.

I guess this is a YMMV thing... I found the opposite... Both are good!

Here are the razors being experimented with. The heads are really very, very different, aside from the length of the combs. The blade rests on the Long Comb, on a very planed, flat surface, while on the Short Comb, the blade rests on a much more curved surface. Very curious.

Yesterday was Shave #2 with the Long Comb and today was #2 with the Short. The Long Comb yesterday provided me with one of the best shaves I've ever had. No hyperbole. The prep, granted, was perfect, hot shower, Trader Joe's Mango Cream schmeared on as a base followed by the Tabac Stick, lathered up with Emillion. Get the picture? Not fooling around here. But I tell ya, that Long Comb delivered, SAS! So how did the short measure up today? Same prep. Amazing delivery. Virtually the same high, high quality shave experience, except for a few nicks not requiring the styptic pencil. So go figure? Incredibly different head architecture, virtually identical smooth SAS shaves. (I think the unsung hero here might be the Sharks. If they can hold up like this through say shave #5 [if they go that far ....] they're stock is going to rise dramatically.) On to #3.

The shave off was completed yesterday with the short and long toothed News battling it out, going head to head in a 4 round match. In fairness it was a tie in terms of smoothness and closeness of shave. SAS everyday. If I had to choose, I would give a slight advantage to the long tooth maybe just a snerkle more comfortable, but truly the difference is negligible in my book. So these are fabulous razors, you can't go wrong with either and with out a doubt they should not only be in every wet shavers collection, but in their rotation as well.

P.S. Shark blades are the cat's meow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting, I have both a long and short tooth NEW, never shaved with the short tooth version, I replated it and put it on ebay for sale. I do like the long tooth version and keep it around to use once in a while, it feels like a mild shaver to me. bc

Top Bottom