What's new

Help, Need a Good Barber

I live south of the river in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a good barber in my area. Growing up I went to high end salons with my mother, which surprisingly gave a good haircut, but cost too much $$$. Now I'm relegated to chain salons that give crap haircuts. I would like to try a barber but the yellow pages just don't seem to list any in my area.

If anyone knows of a good barber south of the river please recommend.

Thanks

Although I'm not from the area, maybe this might help. My grandfather gave great advice- Go into a barber shop and ask for a haircut and a shave. If they won't shave you, leave. If they will, the place is probably OK.

In my experience, if the place has a few 50-year old guys cutting the hair instead of young women, it's probably OK too.

Go into a barber shop and ask for a haircut and a shave. If they won't shave you, leave. If they will, the place is probably OK.

In my experience, if the place has a few 50-year old guys cutting the hair instead of young women, it's probably OK too.

Personally, I can't find anyone that will do a shave (at least not at a reasonably priced shop) - however, if its younger women (30-40s) working w/ some old guys (50-60+), it's fairly safe also, in my experience.

...but if its just younger women (especially under 30), stay away.

Around me (Houston, TX) barbershops were a trial and error approach. I found one a friend went to not too far from were I live. All of the barbers there offer a straight shave and all seem skilled in cutting various styles. The barber I go to is Vietnamese and a women. She's not real good on conversation, but she is a heck of a barber. A haircut is $15.00. I can get a haircut, shave and massage for $45.00 including tip. Heck of deal.

I always tell her to take off just a little so I can go back in four weeks. That is how much I like going to a barbershop. If I could get away with it, I would go every week.

Too often a barber seems to learn one style in barber school and that is what he does for a career. Too many don't have any interest in learning new styles or techniques. That I learned from a professional barber who often posts here on B&B, barberofdeville. He does offer some good advice on finding a good shop here and there in his comments.

Sadly, the fine art of barbering does seem to be in decline. I used to go to a "salon" for a cut, but it always lacked something. A good cut from a good barbershop can't be beat.

Good luck on finding one.

Schmidty's in Saint Paul is a great shop in my opinion. I have been going there for a few years now since I moved to the neighborhood.
Their slogan is something to the affect of "regular haircuts from regular guys."

Schmidty's in Saint Paul is a great shop in my opinion. I have been going there for a few years now since I moved to the neighborhood.
Their slogan is something to the affect of "regular haircuts from regular guys."

I wish it were practical to go there, I live in Prior Lake. But maybe going to a barber is just not practical and I should deal with that fact.

http://www.sportszonebarbers.com/service.htm

Dont know if they are any good but the shop looks very nice. Might be worth a shot.

Galen's Barber Shop
222 1st Ave E
Shakopee, MN 55379-1441

(952) 445-3263‎

Once again not sure but its in your general area...

Valley West Barber Shop
10570 France Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55431-3538

(952) 884-4351‎
Once again not sure but its in your general area...

Razor's Edge
12385 Ottawa Ave
Savage, MN 55378-1329

(952) 890-5260‎
(952) 890-5029‎

Well there is what my search came up with...
Hope it helps and good luck!

I must be inept when it comes to the yellow pages. Only of the shops you listed came up when I searched, Thanks

Top Bottom