What's new

Preshave - cannot soften hair

Hey guys!

So, first off, hello! This forum is AMAZING. I've already learned so much and improved my shave dramatically.

Here's my issue: I cannot seem to adequately moisten my whiskers before a shave. My routine is as follows:

1) Hop in a hot shower.
2) Apply neutragena shaving cream to face, let sit with steam heating face/body.
3) Completely wash face, make sure cream is washed off, rub whiskers, exfoliate skin with hands.
4) Stay in the shower for a good 10 minutes at least.
5) Hop out, making sure to dry off everything but my face.
6) Apply more shave cream to face, apply hot towel.
7) Whip up shave cream from soap using badger brush and hot mug (learning to love this).
8) Take off hot towel, reheat, reapply for another 2 minutes.
9) Take off hot towel, apply warm lather.
10) Shave with new bic sensitive single blade disposable razor (merkur hd should be here tomorrow!!)

11) Feel razor pull hairs on the first pass on the first stroke.

I do 2 passes and the second pass is much better, but it still doesn't "feel" right. I'm WAY more moist than I was before, my hairs extend out a lot more from the skin now, it's great. But when I rub the back of my hand AXG the hairs are still sharp.

I'm REALLY hoping the Merkur HD + sample pack of razor blades will help with this but I'd like to find some way of better softening the whiskers. How can that much water and heat not work???

Please advise! I'm looking for a truly amazing shave experience.

Thanks so much guys!
-Noema

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
At step 2, try a good hair conditioner instead of shave cream. Do the rest of the shower routine and wash off the conditioner last, then continue the rest of your steps.
You might just need something to penetrate that outer shell that keeps water from the inside of the hair, maybe the shave cream isn't doing it, so try something designed to penetrate hair.

are you shaving ATG? (because if you are not, then the hairs will still be sharp when you rub your hand AGT)

At step 2, try a good hair conditioner instead of shave cream. Do the rest of the shower routine and wash off the conditioner last, then continue the rest of your steps.
You might just need something to penetrate that outer shell that keeps water from the inside of the hair, maybe the shave cream isn't doing it, so try something designed to penetrate hair.

+1

The conditioner makes a difference for me. You could also try some preshave products like Proraso, AoS (although I wouldn't recommend this one), GFT, etc... You never know, there might be one out there that would work just right for you!

My guess is there is an issue with your lather technique. Also, see how it feels with the HD, I started out with a single blade disposable and it made a huge difference when I got my DE.

I find that I need that ATG pass to get a really smooth shave. I just make sure I use no pressure at alll for the ATG. I also use a blade buffing technique where I take the razor off my skin on the up stroke. I do this quite fast and even use a bit of a J-hook. Works great for me, just make sure that you don't dig the blade in on the down stroke:eek:, that'll make kind of a bloody mess.:frown:

Hey guys!
I'm REALLY hoping the Merkur HD + sample pack of razor blades will help with this but I'd like to find some way of better softening the whiskers.

I never tried a real lather with a cartridge razor - I jumped into everything with a DE. A good razor and a sharp blade should help a lot. Your prep is way more thorough than mine, so it seems like you're doing the right things so far.

When you start with the Merkur, make sure you don't apply any pressure regardless of your prep! Pressing too hard will make the razor feel "rougher" and it will feel like you're catching hairs even from the very first stroke. Also, start WTG and after some practice try XTG. I wouldn't worry about ATG until you've gotten a feel for it. After more than two months, I still haven't gone ATG and I'm getting great shaves.

I never tried a real lather with a cartridge razor - I jumped into everything with a DE. A good razor and a sharp blade should help a lot. Your prep is way more thorough than mine, so it seems like you're doing the right things so far.

When you start with the Merkur, make sure you don't apply any pressure regardless of your prep! Pressing too hard will make the razor feel "rougher" and it will feel like you're catching hairs even from the very first stroke. Also, start WTG and after some practice try XTG. I wouldn't worry about ATG until you've gotten a feel for it. After more than two months, I still haven't gone ATG and I'm getting great shaves.

This is the plan. I don't shave AXG because it's usually a mess and gives me HORRIBLE ingrown hairs. I'm "learning the terrain" of my face and hair growth now.

Looking forward to my first DE shave tomorrow! I got some bodyshop shave cream today but will stick to soap until I figure out the DE. Plan is to do 2 passes tomorrow.

Being patient is dramatically improving my technique. I can't wait for an ingrown hair free clean shave. Will get there soon!

Thanks for the tips guys!

ALSO I did use hair conditioner (applied it 2x in the shower) instead of the cream and noticed some improvement. Still I can feel my skin pull at the beginning of the shave stroke. Will try to work on technique to fix this also.

Will update tomorrow!

Hello and Welcome!
I just want to second the great advice you've gotten. Get used to your new stuff and remember the importance of light pressure. If you're using an HD, the weight of your razor alone will be enough. When you get used to it, that ATG pass, if you need it, won't be so scary.

+2 What type of soap are you using?

Be sure to post and let us know how your first DE shave went. I'm with the others on possible problems with lather technique, but I also think the weight and angle of the DE might resolve the problem. You are probably pressing too hard with the Bic and causing the blade to catch hairs. With a DE you let the razor do the work.

I bet the hairs are pulling because that razor is a piece of garbage. No amount of prep will allow that thing to slice through my beard, that's for sure.

I've tried the conditioner in the shower thing and definitely didn't make a difference for me. Looked at the various conditioner bottles to find they are to 'repair' or 'strengthen' and so on. I don't want to 'repair', I want to 'damage', I don't want to 'strengthen', I want to 'weaken'!!!

I think most conditioners that I've seen on the shelf these days would be counter-productive. At least, to my whiskers. I'm sure it does work for some people, but definitely doesn't make a difference for me.

If someone knows of a particular brand that doesn't claim anything else but to soften, please let me know, cause I would love to try it.

The razor will make a world of difference. I would never try to or expect a smooth shave from a disposable, a servicable shave maybe, but never smooth. Is the blade new? Sometimes the second shave is better than the first from most razors.

Hey guys!

So, first off, hello! This forum is AMAZING. I've already learned so much and improved my shave dramatically.

Here's my issue: I cannot seem to adequately moisten my whiskers before a shave. My routine is as follows:

1) Hop in a hot shower.
2) Apply neutragena shaving cream to face, let sit with steam heating face/body.
3) Completely wash face, make sure cream is washed off, rub whiskers, exfoliate skin with hands.
4) Stay in the shower for a good 10 minutes at least.
5) Hop out, making sure to dry off everything but my face.
6) Apply more shave cream to face, apply hot towel.
7) Whip up shave cream from soap using badger brush and hot mug (learning to love this).
8) Take off hot towel, reheat, reapply for another 2 minutes.
9) Take off hot towel, apply warm lather.
10) Shave with new bic sensitive single blade disposable razor (merkur hd should be here tomorrow!!)

11) Feel razor pull hairs on the first pass on the first stroke.

I do 2 passes and the second pass is much better, but it still doesn't "feel" right. I'm WAY more moist than I was before, my hairs extend out a lot more from the skin now, it's great. But when I rub the back of my hand AXG the hairs are still sharp.

I'm REALLY hoping the Merkur HD + sample pack of razor blades will help with this but I'd like to find some way of better softening the whiskers. How can that much water and heat not work???

Please advise! I'm looking for a truly amazing shave experience.

Thanks so much guys!
-Noema

Noema, I don't think your prep is the problem. You are already doing much more than most guys ever do to soften their beard. I suspect that it is you razor blade. Some blades just are not sharp enough.

Top Bottom