I cannot contain my excitement. I have a Chubby! The brush, I mean....
It's a work of art - what a beauty! My God - it is dense, REALLY dense, so much badger. It's also almost twice the weight of the other brushes that I have which are the same height. If anyone complains about this brush not being as good as the pre-Vulfix ones, then.... well, I'd love to have one.
I've used it this morning. This isn't just another brush - this is in a league of its own.
Did I mention it was dense? This holds a LOT of water - you have to make sure you shake and squeeze out enough water before loading.
My initial observations:
- It's the first brush I've had that smells of Badger. I hope this will fade!
- The handle is very comfortable, more than I expected it to be. I imagine the size 1 would be too small.
- You haven't experienced a dense brush until you've tried this, believe me. Makes my Rooney feel floppy in comparison.
- The brush is quite large, yet applies lather in a very controlled and efficient fashion. It does not splay out like other brushes!
- The lather is built and kept in the brush. This makes it far less messy than my other brushes, which seem to throw lather everywhere before I've even begun to build on the face. Great for loading soap out of a jar/tub.
- The lather seems to be more creamy with smaller bubbles. I have not made any meringue-like lather yet! I will practice.
- The lather is SLICK (tried with Tabac)
- The brush is SCRUBBY. This is not a brush for those who want that luxury, pillow-soft feel. This is for die-hard face latherers! This will wake you up in the morning. Not for the faint of heart.
- The brush has already shed 4-5 hairs. I hope this is because it's new, and that this does not continue, like my Rooney 3/1.
Now the amazing part - I picked up a chunk of my discarded (and loathed...) MWF. I actually was able to create something resembling a shave-ready lather! Very dense and slick. Wow.... I will definitely try this again for an actual shave. It may just be what I needed to get lather out of this soap (and believe me, I've tried everything else...).
I will post pics and a full review when I get time!
Initial verdict - a full-on, very different experience to anything else I've used. I look forward to breaking it in and trying it with different products and for bowl lathering too. I have a feeling this may become my only brush!