What's new

Time between honing?

I am looking to purchase a strait soon but was wondering about how long it will last before I will need to send it in to be honed again?

TIA,
Travis

Assuming that you strop correctly, that your prep is good and the razor doesn't get damaged, the edge of the razor will definitely last long enough for you to determine whether or not you like straight shaving and want to continue. At that point, I strongly recommend that you adopt some method of touching up the razor, which could be a pasted strop and/or a fine hone like a natural coticule or one of the synthetic hones like a Naniwa 12K. I shaved for 28 years and never sent a razor out for honing (I have since, just for comparison purposes).

Someone who knows what they're doing should hone your razor the first time. But, assuming you like it, once you have a razor with a good bevel, unless something drastic happens, it will only need to be touched up. Touching up a razor is easy and the only reason not to buy a hone up front is to avoid unnecessary expense if you don't take to it. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense not to get at least a touch-up hone.

Anyway, to answer your original question, the time between touch-ups varies from several weeks to several months and there's no telling in advance what it will be, which is why you will want to get a touch-up hone as soon as you determine that you like shaving with a straight.

In the end there is no way to tell and no good estimate. It all depends on your beard, your prep, how you strop and care for the razor and of course the razor itself. You might get 10 shaves or you might get 200.

Top Bottom