What's new

I think Ebay is for suckers.

I admit, I too used to buy safety razors on Ebay a couple of years ago, but even then prices were getting too high even for common razors. I've been having good luck finding razors in local secondhand shops, flea markets and antique malls. And guess what, I only paid $2-5 for each razor regardless of condition. It could be a mint razor of one that is well used. Doesn't seem to matter what condition they are in when I go to buy them. None of the prices are jacked up to insane levels. So I acquired a lot of razors in the last few months and it didn't take a big chunk out of my wallet. I think if you are patient and just look around places, there are plenty of razors. They are not rare and are pretty easy to find. Maybe some people on this forum aren't near shops that have a lot of razors, but they are out there. I can see if a rare Gillette razor goes on Ebay that is cased and in excellent condition, then it will command a high price. But paying high prices for the more common models isn't right.

The local flea markets and antique malls in Kansas City don't have anything. The only thing that I have come away with in about 3 months is a decent Tech....and decent might be stretching it a bit.

A lot of people on the forum, including myself, buy regularly from eBay. There are honest sellers on there. Granted there are also scoundrels on there. I think the title to your post is a little strong. Though personally i am not offended and won't lose sleep tonight, there are others on here that may take exception to your title.

DL

some great stuff to be had in antique stores, though there are also some crazy prices. I saw a dorko that was chipped and rusted to hell and he wanted $50 for it. At the same time you can get great deals on ebay sometimes. I guess its a lucky dip for both

It's not that eBay is for suckers, it's that "hey, these are selling so I'll jack up the prices" dealers are for suckers. This includes antique stores and flea markets.

And, no matter how much we post here to whine and moan about it, there will be some dummy out there who will see a Fatboy for $300 and just have to have it. More power to them.

If nothing else, you can take a smidgen of pride in the fact that we've educated ourselves to know better. A little bit. Unless we have the cash. :wink:

I could probably walk into one of the local antique shops here and never find a fatboy for as long as I live. I just happened to find two of them while on vacation 300 miles away. There's a global audience out there looking for stuff like that on eBay, that they cannot find anywhere else, so they're willing to pay high for it. On the flip side, some antique store owner may be sitting on a razor forever without finding anyone interested in it, so they lower the price to insanely low levels. Sure, you can find a razor or two sometimes, but are they the one you're looking for? You can bet that the exact thing you want is on eBay. And more people want it than just yourself. That's the market. Those are market prices. I hear people say that eBay prices are artificially high. These same people engage in trade on this site, where razors are sold at 'friend rates' or even given away. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Charity is indeed gentlemanly. But this site is where the artificial prices are, and it's skewing people's perception about what a razor is worth.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have found some stuff on ebay that just is not available day to day . . . where else can one find a tea cosy if your gran has already passed?

My 2 cents.

I wish I could find great razors on a regular basis locally, but it just doesn't happen, so I had to go where the razors were -- eBay, and have amassed a collection of over 150 razors mostly through them. Did I pay a pretty penny for some of them? You bet. Do I feel like a sucker? Not at all, because I know what I am doing. Collecting razors is not an investment, it's a hobby, and one that I enjoy immensely. I already put a big chunk of my paycheck into a retirement fund and into the pocket of the mortgage company, so this is my enjoyment, and I don't feel the least bit foolish about the money I have spent in obtaining some very nice razors.

If I could have found these razors locally, and had the time to ferret them out, then I would have done so. I look at the extra cost of eBay as the fee for having others hunt my razors down for me.

And I was hoping to grab some steals when I come up for the Green Day concert next week.... Where abouts do you shop?

+1 for Green Day. Going to see them tomorrow in Orlando!

And ditto to what others have said about antique shops and the Bay. Antique shops, thrift shops, garage sales have yielded nothing here. On Ebay, I've picked up a bunch of great shavers for <$10 each. If that makes me a sucker, so be it.

Ebay is for suckers? Look, I'm with Dustin on the not losing sleep over this, but it is not for suckers. If you keep an eye out for stuff and are an informed buyer, I personally feel that it can be a great venue for picking up various items including razors.

ebay is for suckers? Look, i'm with dustin on the not losing sleep over this, but it is not for suckers. If you keep an eye out for stuff and are an informed buyer, i personally feel that it can be a great venue for picking up various items including razors.

+1

Yeah, you are right, I shop eBay and get suckered all the time.

I paid $15 for this crummy razor, what a rip. :biggrin:

proxy.php

Very nice razor Dex, to the OP Ebay is just like finding razors at Antique stores and flea markets, you have too be patient. I have seen rusty old junk SS at antique stores for $25. Also I have seen good condition slims (they are usually advertised as FB's) that go for 30-40 bucks. My point is....be selective and good deals are out there. I also have found alot of my nice razors on Ebay, and I definetly do not consider myself a "sucker".

Ebay is the prime example of "caveat emptor", but does that mean that you're a sucker for doing your emptoring there? Well, maybe sometimes...like the shellacking I'm about to take on an item I WAY overbid on, but...I wanted it...I should have done more self-caveating before I emptored, dammit...but, as the Romans used to say, "c'est la vie!"

I bought a slim, and 2 NEW long comb ball handles on EBAY for what I consider to be fairly reasonable prices.
All these transactions went smoothly.
Items carefully packaged,delivered in a timely fashion, and were as advertised
If any of the numerous antique stores or flea markets I have visited had anything to buy and at the prices you are fortunate to pay I would be all over them.
So until I find myself in your circumstances this "sucker" intends on continuing making purchases from EBAY,thank you.

I buy stuff on ebay - quite a lot of it for my business. Generally the sellers are decent and I can get things quickly and often quite cheaply. I have been burned a couple of times but that's true of almost anything. I have had NO luck finding decent razors in junk shops and flea markets - hardly surprising since almost everyone has internet access and can find out the potential value of a razor and sell it on ebay. I can't imagine that there are really any 195's or silver toggles lying around in junk shops for $2 anymore

Top Bottom