What's new

Rust on blade

I shaved in the shower yesterday since I was in a bit of a rush (I know not to rush but...). Anyway, my carbon steel Dovo perlex obviously got wet more than it should have and as soon as I got out of the shower it seemed there were some rust spots all ready on the blade. I dried it and cleaned it up as best I could and stropped it and that seems to have removed most of the spots, but there seems to be two very small marks at the toe end of the blade about a 1/4" down from the shoulder. Is there anything I can do about this and do these things really accumulate rust that quickly? I never figured rust would be a problem because I would dry it religiously right after a shave, but this one started before I even go a chance to dry it.

try a bit of maas on a cotton bud. So long as its not too bad it should polish out quickly and easily

I shaved in the shower yesterday since I was in a bit of a rush (I know not to rush but...).

To avoid shaving in a rush, I always get up half an hour earlier. If I see that I can't have that 30 minute break I don't even try to shave. I choose not to shave instead of having a bad shave.

Is there anything I can do about this and do these things really accumulate rust that quickly? I never figured rust would be a problem because I would dry it religiously right after a shave, but this one started before I even go a chance to dry it.

Oh yeah! The last straight razor a customer sent me to hone it had deep rust just because some water drops sat in the blade too long.
Anyway, try a bit of MAAS and hope that the rust isn't too deep. Maybe not because you quickly dried the razor.

Do i have to be careful with the Maas and the etching and gold on the blade? I still can't believe it rusted that fast, literally a matter of minutes. I think in the future if I choose another straight I will go with a stainless steel.

Do i have to be careful with the Maas and the etching and gold on the blade? I still can't believe it rusted that fast, literally a matter of minutes. I think in the future if I choose another straight I will go with a stainless steel.

Yes you do. The MAAS will turn your gold wash into a faint etch.

I've seen rust develop just that quickly on carbon steel blades. There were times when I cleaned the oil off my blade prior to shaving with scrubbing bubbles or alcohol. This seemed to remove all residual protection and once the water hit it, rust had a field-day. After shaving I'd note a rusty haze on the blade. The first time I saw it I was like you.....no way! When this happens, what I do about it is to kinda scru the blade with the pads of my thumb and forefinger. This gets the rust dislodged easily. I follow that up with some aggressive drying with a paper towel to dry and remove more of the rust. After that I rub the entire blade with some non-abrasive auto wax, again using my thumb and forefinger. Let the wax dry to a haze and then wipe it off. Strop and then coat with more oil. Needless to say, you gotta be careful with that approach to avoid getting cut and you wouldn't want to try this on a gold washed blade. I learned my lesson about stripping off all the oil protection before shaving. Now I just go for a hot water rinse before shaving.

Rusting is even worse if you live by an ocean . Where the local tap water has high sodium chloride (salt) levels . Just think what the cajun guys do with all that humidity .

Stainless you will find won't skip a beat .

cityjim

I live right by the water and humidity here is very high. I haven't had any problems with it other than the one time I shaved in the shower and that left two small spots I can't seem to get off. We can be sure I won't be using it in the shower again.

Top Bottom