What's new

The Latest in the long string of "new guys"

Umm... Hi!

So I have to admit that I've been completely sucked in by the world of DE shaving, and am currently still in the process of putting my kit together.

As a result, I've spent the past couple days (weeks) digging through the forums, following links out to external sites and vendors, and invariably finding my way back again. The fifth time I did this in the same session, I figured it was probably time to register.

Like I said, my setup is still under construction, at the moment I've only got a Lord DE razor with "Navarro" pharmacy-brand blades. And I'm ashamed to admit, I've done three DE shaves sofar with the dreaded "goo from a can." Better stuff is already ordered and en route, though.

One thing I noticed about the website sofar is that you guys are AWFULLY fond of your abbreviations and acronyms. VDH, BST, EJ, AOS, SR, HBS, TH, TOBS, GFT, WCS, DE, MWF.

Can a newbie get a glossary around here? ;-) I was one step away from making a spreadsheet!

Seriously, though, this is a fantastic resource, and I already enjoy my shaves infinitely more than with cartridge razors. I actually don't get a lot of growth, so in the past I've been able to get away with only shaving once every week and a half to two weeks, but with DE shaving, I've been averaging twice a week! Just about as often as I can.

Of course, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but that's nothing out of the ordinary.

In any case, I'm very impressed by the intelligent, supportive, and positive nature of this particular corner of the internet, and hope to participate in further correspondence in the near future.

Stickshifts and Safetybelts,

--miamijuggler

Welcome aboard. Nice to see another member from my hometown. Plenty of good information to be found here. Check out the wiki for some of the acronyms, but you'll find that you'll catch on real quick. Keep us posted as to how you make out as the kit starts coming together.

welcome to the land of heplful posters. The one forum on the net where you don't get yelled at for asking a question. Long live the B&B!!!

It is like falling down a rabbit hole there is no end to it....:wink:
By the way use to live in South Florida and miss miami now and then. Say hi to Bayside for me.....:smile:

Yeah, I love Miami.

Been here for more than twenty years now, if you don't count the three semesters of college I did in Indiana before transferring back to UM. I'm pretty sure Bayside isn't what it used to be. I went there a few months ago, and it seems to me to scream "tourist trap" more than anything that's actually enjoyable.

But I'm headed downtown this weekend anyways, so I'll give it another look-see.

Thanks for the heads-up on the glossary. I always seem to learn these things immediately after making a fool of myself. :blush:

Can any other Miamians suggest any retail locations for shaving supplies in the area?

Art of Shaving's website indicates that there's a store in Dadeland Mall, but I can't remember passing one there. Admittedly, this is before I caught "the fever," so I just may not have noticed it. I also know of Churchill's barber shop downtown, but haven't been there yet.

Thanks for all the help,

--miamijuggler

Hi, not from Miami, but my in-laws are. Was down there in May and saw that the Art of Shaving store is in the Aventura Mall. Hope this helps.

FYI, I did confirm that the Dadeland location of Art of Shaving DOES exist, and is located immediately adjacent to the Godiva Chocolates store.

This may prove to be a dangerous situation for my waistline.

Top Bottom