What's new

Teaching an old dog new tricks

Hello all! Newbie checking in here.

Just starting out. I have used an electric shaver all my life (it's what I was given by the parents when the whiskers started showing themselves). I had tried over the years a few times with a cartridge razor and can of goo, but hated the experience, the nicks, and the major irritation. So, stuck with electric.

I came across an article only a couple weeks ago on wetshaving (forget where I read it) which lead me to find matics videos and utlimately to B&B.

Been reading a lot of the posts on here and finding answers/suggestions.

There's an AOS in the shopping mall down the street, so I got their little starter/trial kit that has a small badger brush, pre oil, shave balm and their shaving cream (lemon oil smells really nice) and decided to give it a try.

Now, I must admit, I'm starting off using a cartridge razor (fusion) and concentrating on getting my whole prep, lather and post routine down first. Ultimately I would like to experience/learn how to use a DE, but I figure I would get everything else down pat first... learn to walk before running.

Just proper prep, and using a good shave cream that I'm lathering myself (I lather in a bowl), and paying attention to the direction of hair growth (yes, I've already done a face map and marked the direction of hair growth) has made a significant difference in how comfortable a cartridge shave is compared to what I experienced before.

I have a lot more research to do on here before I decide on what DE razor is right for me to attempt to start off with. My hair is very thick, but I'm concerned starting off with something too agressive and running into 'problems' would turn me off of the experience. I would rather start off with something forgiving while I work on technique.

You sound exactly like me. I did the 'lectric thing since teenager-hood, tried gels and goos and three bladed monsters... blah. I discovered the only way to enjoyable shaving about the time I started here.

Welcome to B&B!
-Prof

Welcome to another guy fro Georgia! As far as razors go, I don't thing you could go wrong with a vintage superspeed off the B/S/T or a Merkur HD for a solid and forgiving shave.

Hi and welcome!
I started with the Progres: an adjustable DE but there are many useful tips here! Good luck with your learning. :smile:
P.S. Are you Italian?

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice guys! From what I'm seeing researching the DE razors, everyone's advice here would be a good choice. However, I decided to go with the superspeed which I got off of the B/S/T here at a great price in near mint condition. I also checked out the progress adjustable and that seems like a really awesome piece of hardware (and may be in my aresenal in the future ;) ), but decided that by going with a non-adjustable, it took one potential mishap out of the equation so I can be as consitent as possible in the beginning. And I really liked the TTO of the superspeed. Again, I think it's limiting the possibility of another mishap at the beginning, especially for someone clumsy like myself... LOL

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!
I started with the Progres: an adjustable DE but there are many useful tips here! Good luck with your learning. :smile:
P.S. Are you Italian?
Thanks for the welcome Raffaele. I was born here in the US, but I'm Italian decent on both sides of my family.

Welcome! and good luck with the SS
Thanks Clockwork!

So, I've been practicing with my AOS 'starter' brush (kinda small if you ask me) and lathering with KMF cream, AOS cream, and even bought a puck that VDH Deluxe stuff from wallyworld so I can practice lathering with a soap as well. Actually, not bad stuff at all. I actually had very little, if any irritation when using the soap. Where as the creams left me with a little around the neck, but nowhere near as bad as a can of goo. (Of course, this could be partially due to the multi-blade cartridge razor I'm currently using - but then again, up until not even two weeks ago, I was strictly and electric user - eeeeks)

Still working on my 'perfect' lather technique. Also have an EJ Best Badger - Medium on the way. I'm sure when I get that it will help me with the lathering as it's larger than the trial AOS one.

Can't wait for the SS to get here. Although, I still have to order blades for it. I know everyone says 'get the sampler pack' and I probably will. But, does anyone here think like I do that switching the type of blades while learning how to use a safety razor leave you with not knowing if it's technique or that particular brand of blades if something is not right?

Last edited:
Can't wait for the SS to get here. Although, I still have to order blades for it. I know everyone says 'get the sampler pack' and I probably will. But, does anyone here think like I do that switching the type of blades while learning how to use a safety razor leave you with not knowing if it's technique or that particular brand of blades if something is not right?

Technique is far easier to learn if you limit variables: use the same prep, same shaving soap/cream, same aftershave every day for about two months. :w00t:

The problem with blades, is that they do very quite a bit, and my favorite blade may not work very well for you at all. There is no benefit in suffering through 60 shaves with a blade that doesn't work for you, and hence rips your face up, and supplies you with tons of irritation.

The idea is to have several different types on hand, so that if one type is wretched, you can experiment with another.

On average, a good blades can be used for 4-5 shaves.

On the whole though, most beginners seem to have pretty good results with Derby blades.

I have been using them for the last two months with great results. Now that I have learned at least enough technique to be somewhat consistent, I am sampling other blades. :thumbup1:

Welcome! The SS is an excellent DE razor to learn with.

I agree that it makes the most sense to stick with a consistent set-up for the first 6-8 weeks. Once you get used to it, you can start trying out different blades, or different razors. Try to limit one variable at a time, if possible.

When I started out, I used a black-handle SS, AOS cream, and Derby blades for two days with decent results, but then I couldn't resist jumping to a Red Tip I was enamored of. Needless to say I wasn't ready for it...and gave myself a nice collection of weepers! :rolleyes:

Don't rush it...you'll have plenty of time to try out different combinations, and then you'll be able to keep it interesting for a long time to come!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've tried some fair few electric shavers but I grew up shaving with a blade and the electric shaves were never close enough. Truth be told no matter which way I shave I look like I've got... well some shadow

I have always itched after an electric shave . . . from a blade shave . . . some times I have stung . . . but I still prefer a blade shave

Welcome! The SS is an excellent DE razor to learn with.

I agree that it makes the most sense to stick with a consistent set-up for the first 6-8 weeks. Once you get used to it, you can start trying out different blades, or different razors. Try to limit one variable at a time, if possible.

When I started out, I used a black-handle SS, AOS cream, and Derby blades for two days with decent results, but then I couldn't resist jumping to a Red Tip I was enamored of. Needless to say I wasn't ready for it...and gave myself a nice collection of weepers! :rolleyes:

Don't rush it...you'll have plenty of time to try out different combinations, and then you'll be able to keep it interesting for a long time to come!
From what I've been reading on B&B, it seems like majority, especially noobs, are happy (not necessarily thrilled) with the derbys. But, they seem to be a good starter blade. What I was thinking about doing is ordering one of the sampler packs plus an extra pack or two of the derbys to start off with. This way, just in case I find the derbys to pose a problem, I can always 'attempt' another. However, as long as they give me an adequate shave at the beginning, stick to them until I feel I've got to the point of getting a consistent shave and blade angle starts to become second nature ... and then I can venture out.

I've tried some fair few electric shavers but I grew up shaving with a blade and the electric shaves were never close enough. Truth be told no matter which way I shave I look like I've got... well some shadow

I have always itched after an electric shave . . . from a blade shave . . . some times I have stung . . . but I still prefer a blade shave
I know what you mean. No matter how close of a shave I get, I always look like I have a 5 o'clock shadow. My hair is fairly thick and the darkest brown you can get without quite hitting black.

But, what I have noticed since moving to the cartridges, but doing proper prep, using a good cream and brush and paying attention to wtg/xtg/atg, is my 'shadow' is just as dark after shaving, but my face much smoother and it stays that way much longer during the day. I would even go out on a limb to say the sides of my face, cheeks come out BBS even with a cartridge that I didn't get with an electric. It's the chin area and neck.... ugggg.

From what I've been reading on B&B, it seems like majority, especially noobs, are happy (not necessarily thrilled) with the derbys. But, they seem to be a good starter blade. What I was thinking about doing is ordering one of the sampler packs plus an extra pack or two of the derbys to start off with. This way, just in case I find the derbys to pose a problem, I can always 'attempt' another. However, as long as they give me an adequate shave at the beginning, stick to them until I feel I've got to the point of getting a consistent shave and blade angle starts to become second nature ... and then I can venture out.
Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you'vre got a plan there. If you make too many changes too quickly, you'll have a difficult time figuring out what went wrong if you run into a problem. Enjoy your shaves!

-Clarke

Top Bottom