What's new

Aqua Velva vs. Old Spice

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have resisted buying Old Spice for at least twelve years, as it was my first wife's favorite. I just wanted to make a clean break, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I ran out of Aqua Velva a couple of weeks ago and decided to try the Old Spice again. I picked up a small bottle and gave it a go. My wife liked the scent in the bottle at the store, but once I put it on, she cringed. Even my stepdaughter didn't like it. She said it was too strong.

So, today I bought another bottle of AV. Looks like this will continue to be my daily aftershave splash. I still have others that I like/prefer and even use different balms with the splash, but the AV seems to be the winner for daily use.

Anyone else made a comparison on these two?

I like the AV over the Old Spice as well. Just has a nicer smell to me. SWMBO also prefers the AV on my face. I guess it's true what they say. "There's something about an AQUA VELVA MAN!" :tongue_sm couldn't resist

The P&G Old Spice lost something when they reformulated. It's just not as warm a scent and comes off as being a bit much, IMO. Maybe you'd like the V-J version from your local discount store a bit better.

I will say that AV is growing on me in terms of scent, and that it definitely performs better than any version of Old Spice as a splash.

I only wear these two scents when I'm staying in the house... but with that said!

AV is my prefered scent of the two. When I use old spice, I tend to use half as much as I would have with AV. It even overpowers my nose! In the bottle it seems tame enough... but once out in the open it starts raising that pirate flag on the high seas! Threatening to throw you and your loved ones in the brig for turning your nose up at them. :cool:

My superior bay rum just pushes you onto the plank and boots you off of it into the Caribbean waters with your hands tied behind your back. Yaarg!:tongue_sm

I smelled some Old Spice when I was out shopping the other night, and seriously considered getting some. But, I practiced some rare restraint, and decided to wait until I finish up with the splashes I have now. It is a wonderful scent.

The AS qualities of AV is superior, and I do like the scent. But I like the scent of OS more (even the reformulated version, which to me has a lot of vanilla in it). I also like the fact that I can pair the OS AS with OC EdC.

The AS qualities of AV is superior, and I do like the scent. But I like the scent of OS more (even the reformulated version, which to me has a lot of vanilla in it). I also like the fact that I can pair the OS AS with OC EdC.
I feel the same way. AV is a great AS. The cooling effect is great, and I enjoy the scent. OS just smells better IMHO.

AV and Old Spice have some similarities but also some pretty big differences. As always YMMV.....

Similarities:
  • Classic drug store brand offered at a very cost friendly price point.
  • Alcohol burn! You gotta be into that kind of thing with these products.
Differences:
  • AV is cooling. OS is warming.
  • AV scent dissipates very quickly so as not to get in the way of an EDT. OS lingers most of the day and pretty much IS the EDT.
  • AV is truer to its origins: Older (but still not original) formulation packaged in a nice glass bottle. OS sold out with several reformulations and plastic packaging. :mad:
  • You can't get an AV cologne. You CAN get an Old Spice cologne. :mad:

Last edited:
Most of the time I can safely say that I have Old Spice in my avatar and Aqua Velva Ice Blue on my face...

Aqua Velva is more SWMBO friendly.
Old Spice is more wild and doesn't get along the wifey sniffer.

Use AV if you want to have a woman enjoying it. Use OS if you want to enjoy it yourself.

I use OS clone AS as an EDT 7 days a week. The right number of spritzes from my atomizer and the scent lasts all day without being overpowering. It's that good IMO.

When I used AV AS, I loved it too, but it doesn't have the staying power OS clone does. If AV had staying power, oh boy! It would be another favorite, although I still wouldn't use it as much as OS, because I feel the AV is a bit too "sweet" smelling.

I use them both with great regularity. Just depends on the mood. Although I must admit I use the Vi-Jon version of OS.

The wife likes AV better. Then I tell it's what my dad wears and she rolls her eyes.

Top Bottom