What's new

Times change

Being someone who can remember the old 1950's superspeeds hanging in the drugstores brand new for sale and also still shaves with an assortment of these old standbys, I thought to take a trip over to the old Gillette plant. I only live a half hour from the place where many of these old shavers were made right here in Boston so I called up to see when it would be possible to stop by for a little trip back in time. The original building is still there in South Boston and even though I didn't really expect to see King Gillette himself strolling through the factory, still it would be interesting to walk the same planks. However, I was informed by someone not as old as my shaving brush that since Proctor and Gamble bought out Gillette a few years ago, they no longer offer tours of the old facility, because they want to protect their "secrets". Truly the end of an era when you can't even visit anymore. I did however have a talk with someone who knew about the plating of the razors and he informed me that the reason a lot of the superspeeds show a little brassing on the under side of the head is not due to any wear. The razors were assembled first and then dipped in the plating solution which means that the underside of the head would represent a low point for the path of the electric current and hence a weaker attraction for the plating. The result is a much thinner plate in this area and of course it follows that this can be the first place due to atmospheric elements that the plating would go. I am having a couple of pieces replated with the original type of electro plate process so I am interested to see how they come out. Well, so long Mr. Gillette, we still collect your razors but they won't let us in to see your place anymore, I guess times just change. regards, BC

What a great read!

Protect their secrets? I wish they could protect my vision when i walk down the shaving isle at the local store when I am greeted by a sea of plastic in shiny advertisement laced display packaging.

No more tours? Protect secrets? Maybe they know something we don't. The new age of the double-edge razor will soon be at hand! Rejoice, brothers, of the blade, rejoice! Or something. Probably not that what I said.

The facility is called Reliable Electroplating in Norton, Ma. 508 222 0620 and the name of the owner is Dale. I saw some of the restoration work they do for collectible firearm restoration on some very rare pieces and it was top notch. This is a professional plater and not some guy like me sitting in the living room with a do it yourself kit. I was surprised that he would bother with my little shavers but he is willing to do it so I am having a gold aristocrat and a couple of nickel superspeeds done. I will try and post a couple a pics next week or so when I get them back. I know some of the purists tend to frown on replating but I use my old razors and I just wanted to put the finish back on them for suiting my own tastes so all you old professional collectors will just have to sit down somewhere and breathe through your noses for awhile until you calm out and let the rest of us enjoy our obsessions and our collections. The best to all, bc

No more tours? Protect secrets? Maybe they know something we don't. The new age of the double-edge razor will soon be at hand! Rejoice, brothers, of the blade, rejoice! Or something. Probably not that what I said.

That is where the top secret Gillette eBay division is headquartered.

NOS Fatboy - $350

Not really.

Every time I go by the plant I think of P&G owning it and making multi-blade shavers.:mad3:

Yeah, that's pretty much about it all right. Gillette used to be about craftsmanship and pride in a product with a name on it and they liked to show you what they did and get feedback from the users. Now, with P&G, it seems like another soul less, face less corporate entity that's just about the bottom line. I know it's only razors but at least they were American razors and they still work. bc Hot Dang, I'm up to 29 posts already, pretty soon I can vote or something.

Top Bottom