What's new

I have to say....Florida NOT Michigan....Bout time they got it right!

I am not a HUGE college sports fan and I am not a Gators fan either really. Partly because the BCS standings is retarded. HOWEVER, it seems to me they actually got it right this time. The Gators had a harder schedule (like I think facing 10 bowl teams and beating 9). Plus, Michigan......I like watching you guys but.........well, you had your chance and you blew it. I think the Gators are going to go out there and really give them a run for their money.

I am a Gator fan and I can't argue with that post! I am very excited about the game and can't wait to see what the matchup will bring.

I disagree. Michigan's only loss was to the number one team in the country, away, and by three points in the most exciting game likely of the year. They are the #2 team in the nation. Florida barely eeks by over a weak Arkansas team, does some whining, and somehow, even though they were several several points behind the previous week BCS, jump over Michigan. I don't care if it is a "repeat." Florida's only national title in 1997 was also a "repeat" game.

Just my opinion -
Dennis
(and I'm not even a UofM fan)

I agree with it being a very exciting game but Michigan didnt win the conference championship game and Florida did. I dont think you can have a "second place" (no offense to Michigan, I think they are a good team) team going to the BCS championship game. Plus, Florida beat a lot of good teams, LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, Alabama, Florida State.

I'm in with Dennis on this one. I'm neither a fan of Michigan, Florida, or Ohio, but sorry to say, Ohio v. Florida will be no matchup whatsoever. I'll predict Ohio St.'s offense to walk all over Florida, with Ohio's defense at an almost equal performance.

I'll also agree with EVERYONE when they say that the BCS is utter horsecrap. The computer calculates EVERY possible stat, including ones that shouldn't be a factor in deciding the standings in such a way that not even the programmers of the system can understand how the computer comes up with the point standings.

You never can tell.

Stanford beat Washington.
Washington beat UCLA.
UCLA beat USC.
USC beat Arkansas.
Arkansas beat Auburn.
Auburn beat Florida.

Stanford > Florida.

They really should go to a 3-team playoff. It would extend the season 1 week for 2 teams out of, what, 129? Only argument against it is that the winner of the #2 v. #3 would benefit more than the #1 from the additional game. Easily remedied though.

I'll also agree with EVERYONE when they say that the BCS is utter horsecrap. The computer calculates EVERY possible stat, including ones that shouldn't be a factor in deciding the standings in such a way that not even the programmers of the system can understand how the computer comes up with the point standings.

:thumbup1: CHEERS TO THAT :thumbup1:

I disagree. Michigan's only loss was to the number one team in the country, away, and by three points in the most exciting game likely of the year. They are the #2 team in the nation. Florida barely eeks by over a weak Arkansas team, does some whining, and somehow, even though they were several several points behind the previous week BCS, jump over Michigan. I don't care if it is a "repeat." Florida's only national title in 1997 was also a "repeat" game.

Just my opinion -
Dennis
(and I'm not even a UofM fan)

No whining. The only whining I have heard is the Michigan fans crying conspiracy and do overs. Expressing opinions on the current system of choosing who gets in the game is not whining. I might add that Urban Meyer holds the same opinion even though he is now in the game. He didn't change his tune.

Look at the schedule. UM played 2, count them aloud now. 2 ranked teams. Lost to one and beat the #11 school in the country. Florda played 4 in the top 17 and beat the team currently ranked 1 spot below UM.

Obviously USC was taking lots of votes from both teams. With them out of the picture UM was clearly 3rd.

Exciting is an opinion about that game. I don't think it lived up to the media hype that surrounded it. Don't just check the box score.

Your repeat arguement is weak. At the time Florida was ranked #3 and FSU #1. Arizona State was #2 in the Rose Bowl. If they won then they would have been NC. #1 and #2 loose so the winning #3 was crowned the Champs.

They really should go to a 3-team playoff. It would extend the season 1 week for 2 teams out of, what, 129? Only argument against it is that the winner of the #2 v. #3 would benefit more than the #1 from the additional game. Easily remedied though.

The best scenerio I have heard is the 4 bowls +1. You should have a good picture about who is #1 and #2 after the 4 bowls are finished. Then you have the final game.

Considering the merits of Michigan vs. Florida for the #2 BCS ranking is like trying to decide whether Estonia or Latvia should invade Russia. They're going to get obliterated, either way.

Considering the merits of Michigan vs. Florida for the #2 BCS ranking is like trying to decide whether Estonia or Latvia should invade Russia. They're going to get obliterated, either way.

:eek: yikes :eek: I really dont know what else to say to that. I mean any team can beat any other team any given day if everything works right but.....it will be a TOUGH game to win.

I'm in with Dennis on this one. I'm neither a fan of Michigan, Florida, or Ohio, but sorry to say, Ohio v. Florida will be no matchup whatsoever. I'll predict Ohio St.'s offense to walk all over Florida, with Ohio's defense at an almost equal performance.

Have you actually watched UF on defense? Don't look at the final score but check the scoring defense? Florida is better than UM in scoring defense. So a team that lost by a FG would perfom better than a team that would have blocked that FG?

How many turnovers did OSU have against Michigan? Yet OSU still won. Each plays their best game OSU wins atleast 8 of 10....

4+1 would leave 3 teams though. #1 gets two bye weeks? You could do a 6+1 and end up with #1 getting a bye week. That would extend the season another week though. Not messing with current bowl schedules and you're looking at the third weekend of January.

Yeah. Just like UCLA did not stand a chance against USC.... :wink:

And besides, everyone has an opinion about whether Florida or Michigan is better - clearly they is not an obviously superior one. And Michigan only lost by three. So who's to say Florida might not pull it off?

Personally, even though it would likely have been a good game, and Michigan might have won, I just can't get exciting about the same two teams playing again. Although, for excitement factor, it would be hard to beat the USC v. Texas showdown. A lot of star power highlight fun, anyway, even if I do prefer old-school defensive 3-7 final score grit matches. (VT fan, what can I say).

-Mo

Well in that case we shouldn't even bother playing the game and engrave the trophy right now.

This is why Florida plays for the title and UM plays USC:

LSU W Ohio St L
Auburn L N Dame W
Arkansas W Penn State W (Here is where things go down hill for UM)
Tennessee W Wisconsin W
Georgia W Mich St W
S Carolina W Vanderbilt W
Alabama W Minnesota W
Florida St W Iowa W
Kentucky W Indiana W
Vanderbilt W Ball St W
So Miss W C Michigan W
C Florida W N'western W
W Carolina W

The Championship already occurred and Ohio State won by 3 points. To bad it wasn't played on a neutral field. Everybody has their favorites and I have to say that I hate anything that has to do with football in Florida...Sorry Gator...Its mostly becaust some Florida team usually beat my Cornhuskers in the Orange Bowl. I have no love for Michigan either, (cause my wife graduated from Michigan State) but I have to say Michigan is the better of the two. I think the BCS boys blew it. The only BCS game people are really excited about watching (outside the state of Florida and Ohio) is the Rose Bowl.

Its mostly becaust some Florida team usually beat my Cornhuskers in the Orange Bowl.

The 95' Fiesta Bowl wasn't good enough:eek: Holy crap I still have nightmares about that game and now I am being held accountable for the other schools as well.:wink2:

:001_tongu

Have you actually watched UF on defense? Don't look at the final score but check the scoring defense? Florida is better than UM in scoring defense. So a team that lost by a FG would perfom better than a team that would have blocked that FG?

So, your whole basis on the game is that you're hoping it comes down to a field goal, and UF to block it? :tongue: I'm talking as a whole, I think that Ohio has alot more talent on both sides of the ball. Note - My argument isn't about who deserves to be in the game, it's about the actual game. I don't see the gators defense being able to handle Troy Smith.

Sorry fellas, had to leave for a little bit. Been fightin a kidney stone and finally passed, figured I would shower and of course shave. Looks like I missed some good arguments here. To sit here and say that Florida dosent have a chance is crazy. The GREATEST moments in sports history have been what.......not the the best team winning but the UNDERDOG. Sometimes thats what a team needs to win, motivation. Plus, as Gatorade pointed out, Florida's D is pretty good. Im not saying its going to be easy, but Florida has can get it done and dont think they arent going to be prepared.

Top Bottom