What's new

Did I miss a hit?

Okay, let me start by saying I've never been too observent of women's come-ons when they're directed toward me. I can spot them a mile away when they're directed toward other guys though. Is that a curse or what?

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I go for a bike ride and as per my usual routine, afterwards, I pull on some sweats to cover my bike shorts and, well... sweat, throw my bike into my vehicle and head to Whole Foods for some juice and water. I'm standing in the checkout fiddling with my cash card and I hear this from the cashier.
Audible sigh. This causes me to look up at her.
"That guy! I wasn't smiling at him, I was smiling at you."
Being the clueless guy that I am, I turn to look for this guy.
No one there. In fact no guy anywhere.
Eye roll. Her, not me.
"I hate guys that think your all smiling at them when it's clear that you're the one I'm smiling at."
Sign receipt, grab bag of stuff, leave.
Now, you should know that I'm mid 50s and this cashier was a child. Maybe late 20s. No interest there, but certainly someone I'd good naturedly flirt with just for the sake of boosting our egos.

Later that day, I mention the scenario to an ex girlfiend at lunch. We're on good terms but both of us have moved on. She kicks me in the shin and tells me I have no ability to pick up on women's signals. Starts asking me about her body language and the way she handed me the receipt, parting words etc. Huh?
So gentlemen and gentlewomen, did I miss a hit, or was she just a friendly sales person?

You missed it, but you're probably better off for having done so.

Bessides, when's the last time Floyd needed a piece of strange, anyway!

:lol1:

I wouldn't necessarily say you missed it. I think she was probably just putting out a feeler to see if you would bite. I think this was a "no harm no foul" situation. However, it sounds like she was definitely interested.

I see two possibilities:

a. Cashiering is a monotonous job, and some cashiers enjoy a little harmless flirting to keep it more interesting, develope raport with customers, etc.

b. Many young women are attracted to more mature men. She was hitting on you and you missed it.

Once you get that mouse thing under control, get back over to Whole Foods. Stick the morning paper under your arm and buy a cup of Joe. Mention that you brought along your breakfast companion--your paper. Sit down for a leisurely read. Repeat as necessary. Maybe something interesting will develop.

Don't worry about the "child" thing either. Remember: when you're in your nineties, she'll be retired too.

Once you get that mouse thing under control, get back over to Whole Foods. Stick the morning paper under your arm and buy a cup of Joe. Mention that you brought along your breakfast companion--your paper. Sit down for a leisurely read. Repeat as necessary. Maybe something interesting will develop.

Don't worry about the "child" thing either. Remember: when you're in your nineties, she'll be retired too.

I could tell people she's my nurse. As sad as it seems, there is a certain allure to dating someone about the same age as my daugter. Mice? What mice? Surely a man my age knows how to solve a mouse problem. And now, I think I'll repair to the den, some Steely Dan and my straight. At least, we both remember Aretha Franklin.

Why are you having lunch with your ex again?

+1 on The Nid Hog's advice... But whatever you do, leave your Ex out of any convo you may have in the future with the faire Whole Foods bird.

Back in my single days, I chose to operate under the assumption that any woman who, unbidden, speaks to you, smiles at you, or otherwise acknowledges your presence in a positive fashion is indicating some kind of interest/availability.

Sure, it's likely an overly optimistic mindset, but it won't leave you wondering later on. :biggrin:

Some time ago I joined a taxi queue outside Victoria Station.
The person directly in front of me was a lovely American girl chatting amicably to an old lady who was in front of her.
At length, she turned to look at whoever was standing behind her, saw me, did a double-take and said "Gee - you're cute".
At this point I must explain that in England puppies are cute, as are babies and fluffy bunnies but men are most emphatically not cute.
So I just said "Oh - really?" and gave her the thousand yard stare until she turned away.
It was not until later that I discovered that she was not being rude!
Was it Churchill who said something about two great nations divided by a common language?

Cordially, AvT.

Last edited:
Some time ago I joined a taxi queue outside Victoria Station.
The person directly in front of me was a lovely American girl chatting amicably to an old lady who was in front of her.
At length, she turned to look at whoever was standing behind her, saw me, did a double-take and said "Gee - you're cute".
At this point I must explain that in England puppies are cute, as are babies and fluffy bunnies but men are most emphatically not cute.
So I just said "Oh - really?" and gave her the thousand yard stare until she turned away.
It was not until later that I discovered that she was not being rude!
Was it Churchill who said something about two great nations divided by a common language?

Cordially, AvT.

Ah yes, the 1000 yard stare, I believe we call it looking through a person here in the states. As in; "I looked right through her until she turned away." No worries mate. Been there, done that, still sleep well most every night.

G

gone down south

I'm going to be a negative nancy and say there was no hittage, sorry. It sounds like she was greeting a customer (ie, you) and some guy behind you thought she was looking at him and started macking back, causing her to roll her eyes at his presumption.

Either that, or she's the world's most awkward flirter.

Why are you having lunch with your ex again?

+1 on The Nid Hog's advice... But whatever you do, leave your Ex out of any convo you may have in the future with the faire Whole Foods bird.

Yeah, I missed that in the first post. Personally, I don't get the whole friendly-relationship-with-the-ex thing. I've watched some Hugh Grant movies and talked about it with my friends, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. Unless I'd had lunch with every other single woman in the world, I don't see myself getting back around to one of my ex's. It's kind of like going back to a restaurant where you had dinner a couple of years ago and asking the maitre d' if there was anything still left on your plate.

Yeah, I missed that in the first post. Personally, I don't get the whole friendly-relationship-with-the-ex thing. I've watched some Hugh Grant movies and talked about it with my friends, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. Unless I'd had lunch with every other single woman in the world, I don't see myself getting back around to one of my ex's. It's kind of like going back to a restaurant where you had dinner a couple of years ago and asking the maitre d' if there was anything still left on your plate.

This may sound a bit odd, but I'm on decent terms with a couple/three exes dating back several years. We call each other to discuss personal problems, remember birthdays, e-mail and even do the occasional lunch. Get this, the one in my post is married and her hubs knows we talk. Now these are the exes from amicable break-ups. There are some who wouldn't spit on me if I were on fire. This may be the topic of another thread. I won't post it as such, but if you read this and want to respond to the question, "What is your relationship with ex girl/boyfriends?", please feel free to comment.

Top Bottom