What's new

14 months of DE but can't yet tame the slanthammer

I like to think after this length of time I've got a pretty good DE technique. I regularly shave with a Tech, SS and the Merkurs HD and 38C and get excellent results. Very seldom do I cut myself or get irritation.

So what am I doing wrong with the 39C slanthammer?

I bought this months ago after reading that it was especially suitable for thick heavy beards, which is what mine is. I decided to do a night shave last night about an hour before I turned in and used the 39C for about the sixth time. The blade was a fresh Derby, what I usually use. Prep was a hot facecloth to the face and before applying the lather (Shaving Shop) which was, as it usually is, very rich and creamy. Everything as per usual.

The shave consisted of two passes: WTG on cheeks, neck, chin and moustache area, then repeated except with XTG on cheeks. After seeing quite a considerable amount of blood I decided to stop.

Areas of carnage were about 4 nicks on my chin and then, as I discovered when I rinsed my face, several nicks on the sides of my neck. Gah! Styptic pencil stopped the bleeding but my neck felt quite sensitive even after applying copious amounts of postshave balm. In fact, I applied some more just before I went to bed.

The shave wasn't especially close either. This morning thankfully the irritation had subsided so I cleared things up with my SS.

Given I can shave fine with the 38C, I can't help feeling there's something about using the slant I'm just not getting. Are you supposed to be able to shave in the same way as you would with a non-slant razor? For example, I shave N-S on my chin. With the slant are you supposed to do it a bit off-centre?

I've read so many experiences of guys here who have taken to the slanthammer from the first few goes and I'm determined to join their ranks. But I don't want to chew my face up again!

FWIW, I have found that the slants and open combs don't agree with my face either, so I stopped trying to make them work, and I am very happy using the safety bar razors that do.

Unless you are not getting satisfactory results with your current set-up, there is no rule which says you need to change to a slant.

This is shaving, not brain science.

Enjoy!

G

gone down south

Are you sure you loaded the blade straight? If you just put it in and screw the top down it'll be crooked and you'd be likely to get chopped up.

Are you sure you loaded the blade straight? If you just put it in and screw the top down it'll be crooked and you'd be likely to get chopped up.

Yes, I think Chris has the cause of your problem. I posted this thread - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87841 on how to load a blade in the slant.

The same thing happened to me. It felt like my face had been bruised, but the problem was the blade was not properly loaded.

Thanks for the pics, Dunedinranger. It doesn't take much to be out of line, does it? I was pretty sure things were lined up properly but I'll have another go at it.

I guess I could just stick with the razors I know I can handle, but life's dull without a bit of a challenge. For a DE guy this is about as cut-throat as you can get IMHO!

I have also experienced quality control issues with the new slants. What is the best method to determine if the slant you purchase is manufactured correctly? Should the head line up properly after turning it 180 degrees and tightening it down? The one I received would only tighten down with the head one way. Even when tightened, the blade appeared wavy near the left side. I sent it back and was reimbursed but I have heard of other complaints on new slants. I am thinking some of these problems could be QC.

Top Bottom