What's new

Bad First Experience

I don't think it is possible for a blade to cut all arm hairs mid stalk in one pass.
As for the HHT, this video shows how it should be done. Blade motionless, bring the hair to the blade, and test multiple areas of the blade. I do at least 3 places, heel, belly and toe, but ONLY as a quick edge test, the only true test is to shave with the bloody thing.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM1V3Je4zUI[/YOUTUBE]

That looks a lot more reasonable than trying to cut every hair mid stalk :lol:.

I agree too that the shave test is the most important. I could care less what some test shows, I'm only interested in real world performance.

It is useful to use between stages of honing too. Off the 15um film, it snaps, off the 3um film, it pops, off the .3um film, it clicks, and off the thuringan and strop, it simply falls off the rest of the hair with no sound or feel. (describing the feel, and the sound of the cutting)

When it does what I expect it to do off the hone I am using, I know it's time to move to the next one.:cool:

I find that a razors edge will "pop" arm hairs at about the 10K honing level.

However, when the edge has been smoothed out on a strop, the edge popping ability deteriorates.

Many guys use hones and pastes that sharpen way beyond the 10K level and I think that the hanging hair test then becomes less appropriate.

I know that some people don't believe that the edge of a blade is like lots of little teeth. But I do. At the 10K honing level I believe the teeth have the perfect size V for the average hair to snag, cut and pop in two. Below this at say 8K, the hair slide between the little teeth and above it at say 12K it bounces off the pints at the end of the the teeth.

If you strop a 10K edge and line up all the V's, the edge will also not snag the hair.

The problem with my theory is that many guys with big powerful magnification have looked at a razors edge and say they can not see any teeth. Well, my answer to that is that they are looking too hard.

Top Bottom