What's new

General Cycling Questions

Next Question, what about pumps? Should I have a small one that I take with me? If so, which one should I get? (My local bike shop has been useless in trying to get this question answered.)

I'll assume you already have a decent floor pump for meeping your bikes tires maintained at home.

The short answer is - yes, anytime you take your bike out you ought to carry with you a small pump, as well as a spare inner tube, or a flat-fixing kit. Bike tires have improved over the last twenty years or so, but most cyclists get a flat from time to time.

The longer answer is that, if you DO get a flat, you will find it virtually impossible to inflate the new, or repaired, tube to anything like the 90-100 psi most road bike tires run at. At least with a hand pump. Given the small barrel diameter (with an inside area of less than 0.75") simple physics will tell us that it is virtually impossible for most humans to exert enough force to generate that sort of pressure. The best I've been able to do was about 60 psi. Not great - but enough for me to get the ten miles or so home.

The other option is one of the CO2 cartridge pumps. If used correctly, these will inflate a tire to ~95 psi very quickly - much quicker than by hand. The bad news is, the cartridges are something of a one-shot deal. You'd better hope that you've fixed your flat, and that you don't have a slow leak, etc. I've also heard from a couple of sources that these pumps are somewhat prone to breaking, and that if you aren't careful when inserting the cartridge you can lose the gas, Oops.

As you can tell, I prefer the mini hand pump. Its not perfect, but if you get really unlucky, it will work just about every time.

Lastly, I encourage everyone interested in cycling any distance beyond their local neighborhood to practice tire changing at home, in their garage. Master it, in fact. Knowing how to quickly remove the rear wheel, mount and dismount the tire, and apply a vulcanized patch, etc., are not things you want to learn when you are thirty miles from home, in the rain, cold, tired, and angry, by the side of the road. (And you should be able to change most road bike tires without the use of tire levers...)

Good advice, RazorDingo. You never know what you may run into on the road. Speaking of, do any of you who ride in mountain trails carry pepper spray or anything? I know it's not a big priority, but I've seen too many "I was knocked off my bike and mauled by a puma" stories to not think about such things. Of course, I only speak of areas where they are known to live.

I'll second that helmet. I hope you have a good one, now that you've got hydration covered.

You must have a pump. Stay away from CO2, they are for race circumstances only. Quality pumps are made by Topeak, Blackburn, Barbieri and Lezyne. I use a Topeak micro-pump and think its great. I used to use the Barbieri and like it too...I gave it to the wife though, that may mean either I love it or hate it.

I will go with a Lezyne when I need to replace it though.

Generally, I would stay away from frame pumps. They do allow for a quicker fill, but in my opinion the benefits of a frame pump, which is far more dangerous than one in your back pocket (or now, in your case, in your Camelbak),are outweighed by those dangers.

If a quick tire patch is your concern go with the Park glueless patch kits over the vulcanizing patches. They work very well (usually) and really do save time on the road side.

As already noted, you absolutely must carry a pump,as well as a spare inner tube and a patch kit. I have suffered multiple flats on more than one occasion, and the patch kit has saved my skin. Although it's true that you'll have trouble bringing a road tire to full inflation with a mini-pump, you should be able to manage at least 75psi. Although not universally true, in general, the tinier the pump, the more aggravating it will be to use; you should be able to find one that's a decent compromise between efficiency and portability. I'd probably point you toward something from Blackburn--good reliability record, and many of their pumps have a handle that flips out from the body, making them much easier to use. If you don't mind the size, get their full-length frame pump. Blackburn also offers a lifetime guarantee, and is good about honoring claims. nb--Look for a road-specific pump. You need to fill a high-pressure, low volume tire; a mountain-oriented pump is designed for the exact opposite (low-pressure, high volume.)

You'll also need some kind of tire removing tool--many folks gravitate toward traditional tire irons; forget 'em, and get a Quick Stik. It's the repair-shop standard.

Finally, learn how to change a flat tire the right way. It'll make the difference between a frustrating 40-minute hassle, and a routine 6-minute repair. Many local bike shops offer short courses--another good reason to get friendly with your LBS.

Once you're a race-ready tire changer, remember--It's accepted etiquette to offer assistance to any cyclist you see having roadside trouble. Be prepared to offer your spare tube, if it's the appropriate size. Karma, baby.

...Generally, I would stay away from frame pumps. They do allow for a quicker fill, but in my opinion a the benefits of a frame pump, which is far more dangerous than one in your back pocket...
A couple of velcro pump straps should secure a frame pump. I do recall a few exciting racing incidents from way back, involving the then de rigeur Silca frame pump. (I just dated myself. Badly.)

If you haven't already gotten there: Cyclists are a very opinionated lot...

Any tips on how to do this? I've change many a road bike tire and nearly always needed levers. Do I just need stronger hands and forearms? :confused:

strong thumbs are the trick. although some tire/wheel combos are easy and some are hard, it is hit or miss. in my experience Mavic (a French company) work best with Hutchinson or Michelin tires (both French companies as well). Campagnolo rims work best with Vittoria or Veloflex tires. I have never owned Shimano wheels so can't comment.

You must have a pump. Stay away from CO2, they are for race circumstances only. Quality pumps are made by Topeak, Blackburn, Barbieri and Lezyne. I use a Topeak micro-pump and think its great. I used to use the Barbieri and like it too...I gave it to the wife though, that may mean either I love it or hate it.

I will go with a Lezyne when I need to replace it though.

Generally, I would stay away from frame pumps. They do allow for a quicker fill, but in my opinion the benefits of a frame pump, which is far more dangerous than one in your back pocket (or now, in your case, in your Camelbak),are outweighed by those dangers.

If a quick tire patch is your concern go with the Park glueless patch kits over the vulcanizing patches. They work very well (usually) and really do save time on the road side.

Again, sage advice. A Topeak micro does the trick for me. It's small, pumps air on both strokes, and has a built-in (although not quite accurate) pressure gauge. I'd rather carry my pump than have a fram pump anyway...they weigh more, come off constantly on the trail, and ones that secure well weigh more and are one more item to steal for some jerk...

Another fairly expensive but insanely practical and useful item I've found for saving the headache of punctures is kevlar tire liners. I live in an area that is full of thorns in the summer, and I've literally had to sit and pick out 20-30 thorns after a short stint. The kevlar liners serve two purposes for me:

1) they are extremely light - I have a full suspension Klein Mantra Comp MTB, and it weighs a hair over 26 pounds. I shaved off grams here and there, taking it down from its original 33 pounds through various upgrades and such. I'm able to run ultra light tubes (the downside being I have to pump up the tires regularly before every ride, but that's no biggie, since I check pressure anyway) using the liners, instead of heavy duty ones, ones with puncture sealer stuff in them, or really beefy tires (of course my tires are light as hell too, lol). This seems like a small weight difference, but for both tires we're talking about 12 oz. saved from original spec, and over a pound from self sealing tubes.

2) All that aside, they work freakin' awesome. I have yet to get a puncture since I switched to them. Ok, now the down side...

They are expensive, at about $50 per pair. If you factor in the cost and time and weight savings of not having to regularly replace tubes and use up patch kits, and not have to carry levers and spare tubes, then it pays off. Another downside is they do stop tube punctures, but with things like thorns, they still leave the points in the tire itself...you'll have to regularly take tube and tire off, and feel around the inside, removing thorn corpses. If you don't, they work their way inside, and can rub between the liner and tire. if you run lower tire pressures. Lastly, although they extend a little ways up the sidewalls they dont really protect from punctures directly in the sides...but I've only ever had that happen once, so the risk is minimal.

A couple of velcro pump straps should secure a frame pump. I do recall a few exciting racing incidents from way back, involving the then de rigeur Silca frame pump. (I just dated myself. Badly.)

If you haven't already gotten there: Cyclists are a very opinionated lot...

I still have one! Bright red with a Campy logo. I'll never let it go.

strong thumbs are the trick. although some tire/wheel combos are easy and some are hard, it is hit or miss. in my experience Mavic (a French company) work best with Hutchinson or Michelin tires (both French companies as well). Campagnolo rims work best with Vittoria or Veloflex tires. I have never owned Shimano wheels so can't comment.

I run high pressure (140 psi) clinchers with a kevlar bead. I have never been able to remove or install one of these tires without tire irons. I have a set of plastic ones that work well; I keep them in my saddle bag along with a spare tube, patch kit and CO2 cartridge. I think they're the ones just below the Quik Stik linked to above.

The other thing that's been handy is a mylar Clif bar wrapper. I once had a puncture due to a metal shard that left a 1/8" hole in the tire. I lined the tire with the wrapper, installed replacment tube, etc. and rode 15 miles back to my car. A dollar bill can also be used for this purpose.

jim

There is kind of a ju-jitsu to leverless tire changing. I'll see if I can upload a video of me doing a tire. Its sorta difficult to describe exactly the process.

But in general, if you are using a lot of force - you ain't doing it right. (There are exceptions to this. I've got a set of studded winter tires for my commuting bike that require levers no matter what.)

I use a Topeak Road Morph frame pump. Can do Schrader or Presta valves. Love it.

I mainly wanted to post in this thread to mention the importance of a helmet.

I went for a ride Sunday night, blew off the helmet, and of course crashed when my front tire blew. Landed on my head on the street. Head still hurts, though the nausea has faded. The one time in a hundred I said, I won't crash, it's hot, screw the helmet, bang.

Speaking of, do any of you who ride in mountain trails carry pepper spray or anything? I know it's not a big priority, but I've seen too many "I was knocked off my bike and mauled by a puma" stories to not think about such things.

I don't think I've heard of anyone on a bike being attacked by a puma and defending themselves with pepper spray. Unless it were attached to your wrist like Spidey's web shooters, I don't know how you would have the presence of mind and time to get it and use it while being attacked, especially considering many attacks involve your head in the puma's jaws.

The best defense is probably to ride with a buddy and to stay close enough that your buddy can quickly come to your assistance, or vice versa. Luckily, attacks are very rare considering the number of animals and the huge number of humans coming into their habitat.

Awesome....I want it. Mine is long gone. I had all chrome.
If you really want one that badly, a buddy of mine owns a shop in Italy. He could probably track one down...

At the risk of being branded totally RG, I still rely on my ancient Silca track pump--it's not as efficient as a modern floor pump, but it's an old friend, and it refuses to die.

Last edited:
I use a Topeak Road Morph frame pump. Can do Schrader or Presta valves. Love it.

I mainly wanted to post in this thread to mention the importance of a helmet.

I went for a ride Sunday night, blew off the helmet, and of course crashed when my front tire blew. Landed on my head on the street. Head still hurts, though the nausea has faded. The one time in a hundred I said, I won't crash, it's hot, screw the helmet, bang.

Chip,
+1 on the importance of a helmet.
I may be over reacting, but if your head still aches and you have nausea for four days after your crash, you might want to get yourself checked out by a doc (if you haven't already done so) There's no such thing as "too careful" when it comes to head injuries and we'd like to have you around for awhile!

Pete

I run high pressure (140 psi) clinchers with a kevlar bead. I have never been able to remove or install one of these tires without tire irons. I have a set of plastic ones that work well; I keep them in my saddle bag along with a spare tube, patch kit and CO2 cartridge. I think they're the ones just below the Quik Stik linked to above.

140!? What are you riding? The highest clincher I have seen or used is a Veloflex Record, and that is an ultra-light racing tire at 130psi. Are they Tufos, which are run at 160psi?

The other thing that's been handy is a mylar Clif bar wrapper. I once had a puncture due to a metal shard that left a 1/8" hole in the tire. I lined the tire with the wrapper, installed replacment tube, etc. and rode 15 miles back to my car. A dollar bill can also be used for this purpose.

jim

The mythical boot! Lots of things work great...the dollar bill is by far the best. For really bad ones you can use the plastic case from your Park glueless patch kit, it is thin and soft enough not to cut the reinstalled tube. The best boot I have ever heard of is the mountain bike method when you totally trash a tube and have no replacement you just stuff your tire full of leaves!

If you really want one that badly, a buddy of mine owns a shop in Italy. He could probably track one down...

At the risk of being branded totally RG, I still rely on my ancient Silca track pump--it's not as efficient as a modern floor pump, but it's an old friend, and it refuses to die.

I have my Silca track pump but dont use it. I use a Topeak Joe Blow and it is SPECTACULAR. If you get one you will not regret it. It is the best bicycle pump I have ever used, and I would say behind the Park Third Hand, the best bicycle tool I have ever used.

If you happen to hear of an available Campy pump I would be interested. Don't go to the effort for me though.

I don't think I've heard of anyone on a bike being attacked by a puma and defending themselves with pepper spray.

I don't think I've ever heard of a bicyclist being attacked by a puma period. Most wildlife is far too shy to be much of a threat. Althugh one real bonus of "ice biking" (riding in the middle of a midwestern winter) is coming across a herd of deer in the moonlight. The bike moves so silently that, if you are riding upwind, they have no idea you are coming until you are right among them. Rolling by a small herd, the group standing motionless in the darkness, so close you could reach out and touch them, is a truly magical experience. (Lyrical recollection over..)

One real threat most cyclists face is from aggressive dogs, which generally aren't shy at all. I've heard all sorts of strategies, from hitting them on the muzzle with a pump, to keeping a squirt bottle of ammonia. But the best strategy is to slow, and dismount if necessary, using the frame of your bike as a shield if they attack. If an aggressive loose dog makes regular appearances on your bike route - snap some digital pictures and file a complaint with the local law enforcement office. The legal penalties become quite astronomical if a dog attacks after the owner has been warned.

Top Bottom