What's new

General Cycling Questions

They were burning today. :thumbup: Does cycling burn many calories? I have read a lot of contradictory info.

Cycling does burn calories, that's why nutrition while cycling or racing any endurance event critical.

You have to replenish the calories you lose so nutrition is a lot of planning and experimentation.

Okay so some day I will lose a pound or two? :thumbup: I eat healthy. I stay away from bad carbs and protein. I keep giving my husband crap he weighs the same as me and has a few inches on me. I just tell him he is skinny fat. : )

If you plan on getting really into cycling or maybe you are already at that point, you should really concentrate on your nutrition while riding. Your pre workout and post/recovery will make or break the results from your training.

One thing I tell folks getting into endurance training is that after every workout you should be weighing the same as prior to your workout. If you lose weight and not keeping your calories up, it is totally pointless to train. And it is very unhealthy to loose that weight. That is an area I was very serious with.

Stay away from sugary drinks. Yes, all of the ....ades. They suck for endurance to be using them solely. Water only and for electrolytes, some sort of electrolyte replacement in a pill form or food.

Someone explain the difference on cycling clothes please. Why is my Gore Bike wear tank top a $98 shirt and my Under Armor one only $37.00 they both seem the same? What gives? Is it just a name thing? I do not notice a difference, except media pockets, which I can find in shirt at the local Kohl's store.

Someone explain the difference on cycling clothes please. Why is my Gore Bike wear tank top a $98 shirt and my Under Armor one only $37.00 they both seem the same? What gives? Is it just a name thing? I do not notice a difference, except media pockets, which I can find in shirt at the local Kohl's store.

I've gotten almost all my stuff at www.bonktown.com

Good discounts.

Different cloths preform differently, ASOS and Rapha are considered the best, My kit is all Rapha, my reasoning is: If I'm going to spend stupid money on cycling kit its at least going to look expensive.

(that and I have gotten all of mine for under $40 and most of it free as I have a hook up)

Can anyone recommend a company who makes custom cycle jerseys? I know there a ton of places but I am not looking to go in debt either.

I am considering buying jerseys for a few upcoming rides I may participate in. There are several charity rides over the next 12 weeks. From all of your experience, do you notice who the sponsor is?

In my experience the jersey is my last priority. Primary focus is usually on contact points with the bike. Number one without a doubt for me is to have good bibs/shorts. I have used hind, sugoi, pearl izumi, castelli, giordana, and Assos with Assos by far being my favorite and Giordana a close second. Although I hear Rapha is better I just never had a need to try them. Secondly, gloves if you count them as clothing, third priority would be socks and I would lastly, I would ride in a cotton tshirt (and have) if it meant having a good chamois under me in exchange.

From all of your experience, do you notice who the sponsor is

Typically, jerseys are so colorful I don't notice a sponsor unless a bunch of similarly jerseyed (if that's a word) riders are standing near each other before the event. Aquaphor seems to sponsor a lot of athletes around here, but unless 3 or 4 of them are standing next to each other, they don't stand out in the crowd. I suppose it also depends on how many riders there are, how big the staging area is, etc. I'm more likely to notice sponsors at the tents after the event.

Thanks. Not sure if I want to "self advertise". I guess if I put my company name on me I can not be a meanie anymore. LOL :001_tt2:

I need a rain jacket. Can I get a rain/wind jacket? Any suggestions? I was looking at the Pearl Izumi line. I was interested in the ELITE barrier jacket. I am entering a charity ride in a couple of weeks and I know if I am not prepared it will be raining and I will be a drowned rat.

Top Bottom