What's new

Pins-o-plenty?

Hello all! I just got a lovely Imperial eagle in the mail for 8 bucks, a bit of hone wear, and some pitting, but otherwise lovely.

Simply put, the scales are shot, time to get some nice wood and break out the dremel and sandpaper for some first time scale manufacture.

My question is, what is a good place to pick up something for pins? I'd rather not reuse these, as they're in rough shape, and that would seem like a bad idea. They don't have to be "official straight razor" pins, but something without poor aesthetics is obviously preferable...Thanks!

p.s. what's the preference on finishing wood? oils or high gloss? I've got some teak and tung oil I used on my guitar neck with great results (don't want that fingerboard glaring light into the eyes)

1/6 brass rod at local hobby store. you still need washers though. www.microfasteners.com. or if you are looking to only do this one or a few others, classic shaving sells pin sets with washers, and different ebay sellers sell pin sets.

wood finish depends on the wood and the desired result. oils look nice but don't always work with all exotics. but for that case neither does polyeurathane. another great finish. epoxy coating is nice, but tempermental during the pouring and curing phase. (bubbles, time to cure, dust). lacquer can be used but not on all woods. CA(superglue) can be used but it is tricky to get it right and takes a lot of trial and error.

i love simple questions!!!:w00t:

most restorers either have a woodworking background or have experimented with their tried and true methods. i fall into the experimenting. i have lots of scales with lots of finishes that worked for one type but not for another.

My question is, what is a good place to pick up something for pins? I'd rather not reuse these, as they're in rough shape, and that would seem like a bad idea. They don't have to be "official straight razor" pins, but something without poor aesthetics is obviously preferable...Thanks!

p.s. what's the preference on finishing wood? oils or high gloss? I've got some teak and tung oil I used on my guitar neck with great results (don't want that fingerboard glaring light into the eyes)

Rennaisance wax is a popular finishing agent. Its expensive though, and again, it may not be suitable for everything, but works well for most woods.

Top Bottom