Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Pins-o-plenty?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Waterloo, Canada
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Pins-o-plenty?

    Hello all! I just got a lovely Imperial eagle in the mail for 8 bucks, a bit of hone wear, and some pitting, but otherwise lovely.

    Simply put, the scales are shot, time to get some nice wood and break out the dremel and sandpaper for some first time scale manufacture.

    My question is, what is a good place to pick up something for pins? I'd rather not reuse these, as they're in rough shape, and that would seem like a bad idea. They don't have to be "official straight razor" pins, but something without poor aesthetics is obviously preferable...Thanks!

    p.s. what's the preference on finishing wood? oils or high gloss? I've got some teak and tung oil I used on my guitar neck with great results (don't want that fingerboard glaring light into the eyes)
    Q: What's brown and sticky?
    A: A stick.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    1/6 brass rod at local hobby store. you still need washers though. www.microfasteners.com. or if you are looking to only do this one or a few others, classic shaving sells pin sets with washers, and different ebay sellers sell pin sets.

    wood finish depends on the wood and the desired result. oils look nice but don't always work with all exotics. but for that case neither does polyeurathane. another great finish. epoxy coating is nice, but tempermental during the pouring and curing phase. (bubbles, time to cure, dust). lacquer can be used but not on all woods. CA(superglue) can be used but it is tricky to get it right and takes a lot of trial and error.

    i love simple questions!!!

    most restorers either have a woodworking background or have experimented with their tried and true methods. i fall into the experimenting. i have lots of scales with lots of finishes that worked for one type but not for another.

    Quote Originally Posted by PolsBirthday View Post
    My question is, what is a good place to pick up something for pins? I'd rather not reuse these, as they're in rough shape, and that would seem like a bad idea. They don't have to be "official straight razor" pins, but something without poor aesthetics is obviously preferable...Thanks!

    p.s. what's the preference on finishing wood? oils or high gloss? I've got some teak and tung oil I used on my guitar neck with great results (don't want that fingerboard glaring light into the eyes)
    good luck!!!:pirate:

    VGOD
    RazorSmith
    [url]www.RazorSmith.com[/url]
    Facebook
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/RazorSmith[/url]
    Flickr
    [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/RazorSmith/[/url]
    YouTube
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/vgod[/url]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Homeless
    Posts
    1,868
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Rennaisance wax is a popular finishing agent. Its expensive though, and again, it may not be suitable for everything, but works well for most woods.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vgod View Post
    1/6 brass rod at local hobby store. you still need washers though. www.microfasteners.com. or if you are looking to only do this one or a few others, classic shaving sells pin sets with washers, and different ebay sellers sell pin sets.
    I'm sure that was a typo but it's 1/16 you want. Just so the original poster is not confused.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Homeless
    Posts
    1,868
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYC-shaver View Post
    I'm sure that was a typo but it's 1/16 you want. Just so the original poster is not confused.
    Indeed, you do want 1/16 rod Also, you can check out this wiki post in SRP which gives you all the info you need to get the hardware from microfasters.

    LINK

Similar Threads

  1. Reduction Part I: Plenty of Software
    By Price in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 06:34 AM
  2. Plenty of razor blades in 1964
    By bdev in forum Safety Razor Blades
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 10:16 AM
  4. Technics turntable with 78rpm mods; plenty of records
    By bishop in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 09:27 AM
  5. Plenty of Merkur HD's in stock!
    By leesrazors in forum Shopping and Deals
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 06:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.