What's new

Vancouver Island wetshavers and other Canucks

Thrifty Foods has started to carry Thayers witch hazel for $11.99, House of Nutrition also has it but it was $14.99 or $16.99 last time I checked.

Thrifty Foods also has some Mountain Sky soap there as well @ $3.49, which is a decent price. (well.ca has them for $4.** + free shipping for the folks not on the rock). I have the Kali and Spice (smells like cinnamon and clove), very different smell (I'm normally an Irish Spring guy) but this stuff is great. I'm going to write a review of it once I see how long a bar will last. :w00t:

Ooh! Thanks for the heads up! I will head down there after work tomorrow to check it out.

I've also been meaning to try a puck of the Saltspring Island Soapworks shaving soap. There is an outlet downtown on Johnson. Have you tried it yet?

Not as yet, I have about 4 bars of Mnt Soap to go through and I got my hands on some Musgo Real soap. :cool: The Salt Spring Soap look pricey comparatively at $7 a pop, I got 3 bars of Musgo for around $12. There is also Soap Works which look like a decent price soap at around 2.50 each.

http://puresoapworks.com/aloe.htm

I picked up a couple of pucks of the Saltspring Island shaving soaps yesterday, and gave it a whirl this morning.

I should have just bought one. :frown: Or better yet, none at all. :mad:

Not a very good shaving soap. It doesn't make lather so much as suds. Light and airy, i couldn't get any kind of cushioning lather at all. Just lots of big bubbles that collapsed with a snap, crackle and pop as it was left in the bowl. I tried to shave with it, but no good. After the first couple of strokes I gave up, washed it off and mixed up some Momma Bear's and had a decent shave.

Good call on giving it a pass.

There is a small shop downtown, just off Douglas, I think it was on Broad Street, but not sure (the stree was only a block or two long, just like Broad). A little pricey, but a full line of merkur stuff, loads of Trumpers, Kent brushes - a pretty good supply. Unfortunately, only Merkur blades. But if you want some Kents and some Trumpers, then head down there. I think the guy is a bit of a *&*&^, but he does have some good products. I don't recall the name, but it is a small shop with all kinds of mens shop with handbags and knives and umbrellas and stuff.

Edit: I just found a note I had re that shop in Victoria:

Simply The Best
1008 Broad Street,
VictoriaBC
V8W1Z9
Tel. 250-386-6661

That is great about the Thayers being in Thriftys. I shall check it out! And, thanx for the review on the Saltspring soap.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What is there for Wet Shave goods in downtown Victoria?

At a guess, check out the tobacconist on Government Street (Morris's??) as they have a pretty extensive selection of stuff, and are in the old "touristy" part of town so that'd be my guess for where to find supplies. It's down near Munro's Books, Murchie's, &c.

Crabtree and Evelyn also has a bit of stuff - house brand and Kent brushes. Simply the best is a bit out to lunch with prices (brushes are absurdly priced)but I buy the occasional thing there out of convenience.

At a guess, check out the tobacconist on Government Street (Morris's??) as they have a pretty extensive selection of stuff, and are in the old "touristy" part of town so that'd be my guess for where to find supplies. It's down near Munro's Books, Murchie's, &c.

Thanks Doc4 & RocketMan, I will be sure to look for it next time I visit. :001_smile

L

leannehammer

I don't agree with you about there extensive selection of stuff. :rolleyes:

BC Shaver and Hobbies also has Merkur DE razors (I think just the razors, for some reason) for reasonable prices. Nothing else wetshaving related, and the guy I spoke with wasn't terribly knowledgeable (hadn't heard of the HD, didn't know which heads were on which razors.) They seem to carry them as an aside to the electric razors and the main purpose of the store, which is an excellent model store (as in model airplanes, boats, steam engines, etc.)

Oh, and hey, Leanne, welcome to the B&B!

N

networker

Looking for a barbershop in Langford (Victoria, BC) that provides the wetshaving service? Any suggestions?
I know about Victory and Uomo but looking for something near Landford.

I know this is an old thread but The Copper Hat in Victoria is a great source for new and vintage shave gear. It is the only brick and mortar wet shaving shop in Victoria that I know of. Even has custom brushes and soaps! also www.shavecanada.com for us wet shaving canucks!

Top Bottom