What's new

Do you rinse your face after applying Witch Hazel?

Hi Guys,

I've previously used an alum block after shaving and thought I'd get some Thayers Witch Hazel. Tried it this morning, and felt it worked well.

My dilemma was, do I leave it on my face, or let it dry and then rinse it off with cold water before applying A/S balm or splash? :confused1

I've read through previous posts of routines but all seem different. Is there a right or wrong way to apply witch hazel, should you rinse it off with cold water to close the pores?

Thoughts, theories, feedback or ideas most welcome.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Can't speak for people who use straight witch hazel, but I have a heavy witch hazel Bay Rum aftershave I use (about 50% witch hazel), so I guess you could say I leave it on.

I use Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel after every shave. I do not wash it off. After it has dried, I apply some type off aftershave. Oh and prior to the witch hazel, I use an Alum block... Might be overkill but it works for me.

I splash on superhazel (no rinsing), wander around a bit, then come back for an AS. Overkill, yes, but burn free. :smile:

After shaving, I rinse with tepid water, then apply Thayers lavender witch hazel and allow to air dry for a bit while I clean up around the sink. I then rinse with cool water to close the pores, and then apply my after shave.

I leave it on and my face is basically dry by the time I get my shaving gear cleaned up and put away. Then I put on my aftershave splash.

Clayton

I rinse, then apply witch hazel. I let it completely dry, then apply aftershave. I usually do my cleanup (rinse brush, scuttle, razor, etc) while the w.h. is drying.

After shaving in the morning I rinse my face and dry it and apply the witch hazel and while it is drying I start getting dressed. Before I put my shirt on I apply my after shave and finish dressing! I use it like a toner before my AS!
Great stuff!

I usually do the same. Apply the witch hazel, let it air dry and then I use an aftershave balm/milk (occasionally).

I use Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel after every shave. I do not wash it off. After it has dried, I apply some type off aftershave. Oh and prior to the witch hazel, I use an Alum block... Might be overkill but it works for me.

+1 works for me, too.

I splash on the Thayers w/ aloe vera and let it dry. Nothing after that. I also shave at night after my shower so I generally don't put anything else on. It seems to work for me.

Top Bottom