What's new

Do you rinse your face after applying Witch Hazel?

No. I either finish with it, or let it dry then apply AS.

Typically just finish with WH, then use cologne.

I used to splash some water on me face before using a bit of corn huskers lotion. Now after alum block on wet face, dry, use witch hazel don't dry, and apply CHL, let dry and then either nothing or a fragrance. FWIW, I have used Thayers non-alcohol, pricey, I have also bought WH at Safeway, (local grocery). Same stuff, much better price.

Shave
Warm Water Rinse
Cold Water Rinse
Alum Block (and clean up gear)
Cold Water Rinse and Towel Dry
THW alcohol-free toner
ASB or ASM to still wet face

Of course this can change, but at the moment...

I've been finding this routine working really well for me recently:

Right after the shave and rinse, I shake some witch hazel in my cupped hand, followed by a few shakes of aftershave. Then I splash that on my face and neck. Nice and cooling. Cuts the A/S scent somewhat (for some reason, aftershaves last all day on me). Then I let it dry for a few minutes while I brush my teeth, mess with my hair, etc.. then I apply a balm, usually Nivea or L'Oreal. By the time I get to work my face is smooth as can be. I've been going with the light aftershave scents this summer, as opposed to straight up cologne. Add some talc, I just love that "clean" feeling.

This is the way I am currently doing it...
Shave
Warm Rinse
Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel - let air dry as my kitt is cleaned and stowed
AS - usually Clubman

Shave
Warm Water Rinse
Cold Water Rinse
Alum Block (and clean up gear)
Cold Water Rinse and Towel Dry
THW alcohol-free toner
ASB or ASM to still wet face

Of course this can change, but at the moment...

:thumbup:

I have the exact same routine.

Not quite what you're asking, but in the middle of the rinse, while still uisng lukewarm water, I splash on a healthy amount of alcohol-based after shave, and leave it on while rinsing out the brush, then, finally switching to cold water to finish the rinse. After that, partly depending on how much burn I felt from the alcohol, I'll pick out a real after shave to use from alcohol-based after shave, witch hazel, alcohol-based balm, cream balm, a combination, or nothing. I could probably swap the early & generous alcohol splash for witch hazel. Might try that.

Do a lot of people splash it on or apply it with a cotton pad or something?

I didn't have those pads Mantic mentioned, but with cotton balls I kept getting cotton fibers stuck in my face.

Thayers Super witch hazel or whatever it is called doesn't absorb all the way on me. I can feel it washing off if I splash some water on my face a couple hours after application. It also feels a little tacky when it drys.

I just picked up some Witch Hazel myself (Dickinson's) and look foward to adding it to my shaving routine. Thinking mine will go something like this..

Warm rinse
Lather and shave
Warm Rinse
Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel, applied with cotton botton, air dry
After shave balm or milk

Flesh, of course it is a matter of personal preference, but try losing the cotton "button" and just pour some witch hazel in the palm (ala AS or cologne) and splash it on.

Do a lot of people splash it on or apply it with a cotton pad or something?

I didn't have those pads Mantic mentioned, but with cotton balls I kept getting cotton fibers stuck in my face.

I tried doing that, but really I just prefer using my hands like I do with an aftershave. I use both witch hazel and aftershave

Why are you doing two rinses, one warm one cold right after shaving? Seems like over kill. I do a cold rinse after shaving, apply WH, and then AS optional.

Top Bottom