What's new

Speed Reading Fact or Fiction?

Gents,

Well now the semester is over and I'll get an entire month to relax and read about the stuff that doesn't involve classes. So I've been toying around with the thought of reading up on speed reading.

But here's the deal does speed reading really exist? And are there any good books or techniques available? And has anyone had any experience with speed reading?

Thanks!

Yes, speed reading works. I have done it before, but I don't personally enjoy it. I went back to my slow-reading ways. :cool:

Tim

But here's the deal does speed reading really exist? And are there any good books or techniques available? And has anyone had any experience with speed reading?

Surely it exists. It's been around for ages. When I was in middle school I had this teacher:001_wub:....well...she was a fanatic about it. She taught us many speed reading techniques with some sort of projector (similar to a slide projector). I still apply some of these techniques. But if I read something for enjoyment, I slow down so as to absorb as much of it as possible. Google "speed reading software" and there are tons available...some, I believe are "FreeWare".

I have seen/read up on some of this kind of thing. From what I've heard it does exist, however I've also heard that many people dislike it because in order to maintain the ability to speed read you are required to always speed read. If you regularly read slowly for pleasure, I've heard it will really hurt your ability to speed read if not ruin it.

YES Tito! Although "speed reading" isn't quite an accurate term...

Most speed reading tapes/seminars/books are just rip-offs of Mortimer J. Adler's "How to Read a Book". I can't recommend this book highly enough!

How to Read a Book

proxy.php

I had taken a few sessions of a spead reading course in the past, it does work if you stick with the training. I still use some of those techniques to this day, although it's usually on technical publications or instructions.

I used software for a while. The biggest thing for me was to keep the comprehension at 100%. I read about 150-200 a minute before I started and then the trial period on the software ran out about the time I hit 400. I thought that was pretty good for me.

I also find that word searches has improved my reading speed as well.

Try reading at a variable pace. Skimming until you get to things that interest you, then slowing down.

If if does exist I would really like to take a crack at it. I'd like to read a bunch of stuff over the winter break. Comprehension would be nice but I have a hard time rememebering much to begin with. The entertainment and the idea of learning a new skill during my time off would be fun.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Top Bottom