What's new

My most eagerly anticipated, disappointing razor

The fabled Fat Boy.

I seethed with Fat Boy desire, just itching for a chance to see what all the buzz was about. It just had to be something special, that would blow my Slim out of the water.

Could not believe my luck when I found nice shaver in a case at an antique store for a sawbuck! I chortled all the way home. I worked like a demon to clean it up so I could get to shaving with it.

The shave was excellent...just like I get with a Slim. I dunno what I was expecting, but it was kind of a let-down. Nothing wrong with it, but no fireworks, either.

Do you prefer one shave from the other? Or do they feel exactly the same with the same results?

Do you prefer one shave from the other? Or do they feel exactly the same with the same results?

I prefer the feel of the Fat Boy in the hand, but If there is a shaving difference, it's very slight and probably in favor of the Slim, with the lower head profile, but they are both excellent razors.

I understand that the Fat Boy has more quality in the build, but I read so many posts praising it I was expecting something unrealistic, I guess.

Maybe if it became a cigar and a tumbler of single malt after the shave...

B

BrightFutur

I too found that my Fatboy wasn't leaps and bounds ahead of my Slim.

But my Slim is also a terrific shaver.

Ive never touched a Fat boy :lol:

I have used a slim and other TTO razors, I must say you really need to try a 3 piece razor in particular an old type gillette or even a 60's tech. The heads are much slimmer because they are no fancy mechanisms.

True, dat.

I'd put the Tech in the "expected little but got a lot" category. I love the shave the New delivers, but I find that open combs are more apt to bite me than the guard bar razors. Since I'm a craven coward, I find that I reach for the guard bar types more often.:blushing:

In the non adjustable TTOs, I love the Red Tip, and 40's SS razors, but found my vanilla 60's SS to be kind of uninspiring. I better revisit it.

The Fatboy is very cool looking, kind of like a Hummer, but the Slim gave me a very sightly better shave, probably due to the lower head profile. I think you should have both, as they are both pretty cool looking and great shaving razors.

:cool:

+1 Mine came with strippers, a sports car, a fine Brandy and two Cuban cigars.
Mine came with a nun, a bus pass, a can of Budweiser and a pack of Lucky Strikes. :confused:

Frankly, I found the shave much the same as the shave from a Slim, which is why I sold the Fatboy soon after I purchased it. I can get a much better shave from a non-adjustable, anyway.

Mine came with a nun, a bus pass, a can of Budweiser and a pack of Lucky Strikes. :confused:

Frankly, I found the shave much the same as the shave from a Slim, which is why I sold the Fatboy soon after I purchased it. I can get a much better shave from a non-adjustable, anyway.

Somebody has great luck! :lol::lol::lol:

I prefer the long handle of the Slim. I like my Fat Boy as well. The shave is only slightly different. What we need is a Fatboy Slim version, with both the heft and longer handle.

I just started using my new-to-me from the BST fatboy. Honestly can't tell much difference from a slim, though of course "feel" is different with the shorter, fatter handle. Hadn't noticed anything else yet.

They do look very cool though!

+1 to those who prefer the slim to the fatboy.

I slightly prefer a slim to the fatboy, the shave is easier with a slim but both give great BBS shaves (albeit slightly trickier for me with the head of the fatboy)

They'd both be in regular rotation if it wasn't for my new three piece velvet combo comb, She (yes she's a woman, no-one that kind to my face could be male!) gives me a PERFECT BBS shave (and I mean perfect, not one spot of bristle or irritation remain!) on two days growth I may start shaving every other day to experience the best shave I've ever had again!!

Still, I'll never be able to go without half the time so the fatboy and slim shall still feature in my rotation, just less often than my current favourite!

I think the fatboy is vastly overrated. It is a good shaver, but it is a victim of its own hype. The slim and super shave just as well. The slim is built just as well. Oh well...

Top Bottom