What's new

E-bay special

Bought a Wade and Butcher off E-bay last month on a whim as the price was right, $12, and didn't look half bad in photos. That and the reputation of Wade and Butcher and Sheffield steel( Of which I now have a bunch, 2 Bengalls and 2 Wade and Butchers thank you B+B and SRP for fueling my addiction).

But back to the E-bay razor, finally got around to applying some Maas and elbow grease to it this and now I really wish I took some before pics. Had dark oxidized areas all over it, and a large dark spot right on the edge, where I questioned someone ruined the temper by trying to sharpen on a grinder or belt. But when all was said and done turned out great .

Now I'm looking for some rec's on where to go with the next step. It definitely needs to be honed but I'm also thinking of new scales, maybe wood, as current one's though intact don't center correctly and have a slight bulge. So I'm not only looking for rec's on where I should go aesthetically but on who to go with to get it to the next step. Ken Rup comes to mind immediately as he seems to have a good rep and was great to deal with when I bought a strop from him. Am wide open to suggestions though.

Here's some pics of the $12 razor.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Not bad. Very nice actually, for just MAAS.

Send it to Ken. It'll come back to you shinier and rust free in the pivot area. Normally I don't depin, but I would depin that one.

Another option is Mike (lax1mr) or Ambrose. Both are resident members and I would not hesitate to recommend either of them.

Send it to Ken. It'll come back to you shinier and rust free in the pivot area. Normally I don't depin, but I would depin that one.

Another option is Mike (lax1mr) or Ambrose. Both are resident members and I would not hesitate to recommend either of them.

Aye, the Pivot pin is missing the washer, eventually it will work its way loose.
Be VERY careful de-pinning as to not crack the scales.

there are a bunch of guys who do restoration, and you can see their work in various threads here and SRP
depends who's work you like more, how much you are willing to spend, etc.

as far as i can tell from your post you're looking for inexpensive. you'll most certainly would be better off picking something already restored.
i don't see anything particularly special in this razor to warrant spending too much on prettifying it, but at the minimum it'll need scales straightened and properly pinned, and the razor honed.

Thank you leighton for the recommendation. :smile:

I would recommend looking at a few threads and see which route you want to take. I personally really like lax1mr 's work as well, in fact it inspired some of my own work.

Top Bottom